Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Experiened the JOY your debit card stolen - used for the GAS STATION SCAM??

I work in a somewhat public setting on the east side and recently experienced the JOY of having my drivers license and bank card selectively stolen with the thieves going on a three-hour 'holiday' gas station [[give me X dollars for X amount of gas) scam - over 10 attempts!

The grand finale being an attempt to purchase phones at MetroPCS - declined of course as the card had long been deactivated by then. The first two gas scams got thru [[my bank is currently reversing those fraudulent charges back to my account).

What stopped the fraudulent spree quickly was within 35 minutes my bank - Bank of America - texted me that suspicious activity was occurring on my account and they put a hold on my card. Upon which I noted and reported the card as stolen and officially cancelled it. The perp[[s) operated within a three-mile radius on the east side.

I made a report to the police station - via the stand-outside-in-the-booth at the station 'talk on the phone' option now available after 4 PM in Detroit. Picked up report 24 hours later and provided BOA that info for their investigation purposes.

I talked to several gas station merchants and most were sympathetic but apathetic to what goes on at their pumps [[beyond their bullet proof glass) or the folks that hang around 'without' cars plying their er' trade with stolen cards! I reminded them that this is the main REASONS I rarely purchase gas in Detroit.

Anyone else experience this fun?
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-22-12 at 11:43 AM.