Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Lorax Guest

Fox Noise

Driving skills equivalent to their editorials- reckless

DetroitDad Guest

I will not miss suburbia when it is gone.

The road was made for people, not cars!

This is what happens when you get into excessive car culture, where your auto is viewed as nothing more than an extension of your personality and self, and not what it is, a large piece of machinery that serves no other purpose than that of transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Create designate bike lanes like those found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY and issues like these tend not to pop up, save for drivers who think that they OWN the road simply because they are in a 2-ton vehicle that can double as a weapon.

Why is it that the United States is so anti-cyclist?
    Oh, I agree, but just because biking is hobby of mine, doesn't mean I think its unfair to make bikes ride on the shoulder or follow the vehicle laws. I love the wide shoulders and slower speeds on Hines Drive and tend to drive down neighborhood streets rather than busier streets if possible. Then, lots of busy streets have fairly dead sidewalks even if they do have spots where there is no sidewalk.

As far as yielding to the cars even when I do have the right of way, I tend to do it whether in another car or on a bike. There's alot of morons out there and I swear to god nobody and I mean nobody can drive well while jabbing on the phone. I remember when I was a kid, if wanted to reach someone and they weren't home or at work, sometimes you had to wait hours and hours to talk to them. Somehow we survived.

ccbatson Guest

I bring it up [[the implication that conservatives are somehow guilty, not the individual alone) because it is in the thread title...it is misleading propaganda typical of liberals. It should not stand without being scrutinized as I did.

Earlier I drove myself, the wife & youngest daughter to the gym to work out. Sure enough, there's an Armstrong wannabe forcing everyone to go around him during rush hour; despite a perfectly good 4ft wide sidewalk with not a soul in sight on it. I immediately thought about this thread as made sure I didn't sideswipe another vehicle as we went by.
    It was sooooo tempting to give him a Goodyear tattoo.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoparDan View Post
    Earlier I drove myself, the wife & youngest daughter to the gym to work out. Sure enough, there's an Armstrong wannabe forcing everyone to go around him during rush hour; despite a perfectly good 4ft wide sidewalk with not a soul in sight on it. I immediately thought about this thread as made sure I didn't sideswipe another vehicle as we went by.
    It was sooooo tempting to give him a Goodyear tattoo.
    Isn't it actually dangerous to pedestrians, not to mention illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk?

I've heard stories of people being stopped by police for ridding on the sidewalk, although they pretty much just got a slap on the wrist with the threat of getting their bike taken away. The problem is, that you get honked at and practically get ran of the road when you ride in the street. Generally, I agree that the proper way to respond to those contemplating giving out "Goodyear tattoos" by banging on their hoods or doors, just to take these yahoos down a few notches. The driver will usually not do anything but be pissed that you disgraced what they view as a massive extension of themselves that they have a God given authority over the public roads with. If they do do something, they tend to get out to confront you, in which case you just peddle away.

How about they show a little more courtesy on the road, and realize that they have no God given right to the public roadway, and that they are not better than anyone or invisible once their inside their planet destroying living room on wheels [[SUV).
    Last edited by DetroitDad; July-01-09 at 11:13 PM.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Streets were originally made for horses.

Well, I guess if you see a horse coming down the street, make way.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Well, I guess if you see a horse coming down the street, make way.
    Actually, streets were made for pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Isn't it actually dangerous to pedestrians, not to mention illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk?

I've heard stories of people being stopped by police for ridding on the sidewalk, although they pretty much just got a slap on the wrist with the threat of getting their bike taken away. The problem is, that you get honked at and practically get ran of the road when you ride in the street. Generally, I agree that the proper way to respond to those contemplating giving out "Goodyear tattoos" by banging on their hoods or doors, just to take these yahoos down a few notches. The driver will usually not do anything but be pissed that you disgraced what they view as a massive extension of themselves that they have a God given authority over the public roads with. If they do do something, they tend to get out to confront you, in which case you just peddle away.

How about they show a little more courtesy on the road, and realize that they have no God given right to the public roadway, and that they are not better than anyone or invisible once their inside their planet destroying living room on wheels [[SUV).
    I have never seen anyone stopped for riding a bike on a sidewalk, nor have I ever heard or read a story where a bicyclist was stopped & warned/ticketed for doing so.
    All I can say is that if someone tries beating on my vehicle[[which is inspected, licensed & taxed for public road use, unlike the bicycle), he'd better be damn fast in his getaway; otherwise it's going to get f*cking ugly quickly. He obviously shows no regard for causing traffic problems, nor his own safety by riding at rush hour. We do have areas here that are geared specifically for bicyclists, roller bladers & runners/walkers. And where this idiot was at yesterday, there's one less than 10mins away. If he gets clipped by a driver on a busy thoroughfare, that's his tough luck. Maybe when he's riding down the sidewalk in a wheelchair it'll finally occur to him the error of his ways.
    Last edited by MoparDan; July-02-09 at 08:36 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Yes, sidewalks are not for bicycles, that said, people can usually be trusted to use judgement...crowded sidewalks means don't barrel down on your bike, ad if you see a bike rocketing your way as a pedestrian, get out of the way.

Seems like this argument of bicycles on the road will never die. Bicycles have a legal right to ride in the road. On a two lane road [[one in each direction) they should ride single file as far to the right as possible. There are exceptions to this rule of course
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[eum...e=mcl-257-660a

There are some roads that I avoid just because of the speed of traffic and road conditions. I will also on occasion "take a lane" if the right side of the lane or shoulder are to dangerous to ride on.

The idea that some people in this thread think it is funny that they should hit a person on a bicycle is disturbing. Despite what you think about bicycles riding in the street hitting someone and possibly killing them is nothing to joke about. I have been hit by a car and was lucky to walk away from it.

I have had so many people think it is there "duty" to teach me a lesson by driving by me as close as possible I have lost count. This is dangerous and sad that someone would dilberatly risk my life to "prove a point".

As for sidewalks. They are one of the most dangerous places to ride a bicycle for both the rider and pedestrian. I will average almost 20mph on a typical ride. Also drivers just don't look for anyone on sidewalks. How many people really pay attention to stopping before a crosswalk. They stop as close to the corner as possible.

The idea that just because you "pay taxes" is ridiculous. Guess what. I pay taxes too [[and so does everyone else). I have a car that I chose not to drive all the time so get off the idea that just because a bicycle is not "taxed" we don't have a right to the road.

With all that said. There are bicyclists out there that are annoying and stupid and don't obey traffic laws [[just like drivers). I know that. Just don't kill me because someone else pissed you off.

Forgot one other point. Bicycle lanes are really not the answer. The one problem with them is that drivers think that a bicycle lane is the only place bicycles are allowed to ride. Driver education on the rights bicyclist have would help.

And BTW. I don't think I am Lance Armstrong. My beer gut is waaaayyy to big.
    Last edited by bike4beer; July-02-09 at 10:43 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Not exactly true. In Michigan cyclists have the right to share most roads with motor vehicles, but must ride as far to the right of the road as practical [[Unless maintaining the same speed as other traffic). One can and should get a ticket for impeding traffic on a bicycle if they insist on riding in the middle on the lane and blocking traffic.
    Wrong. There are no minimum speeds for surface streets.

Another bad thing about bike lanes is that they essentially serve as a right hand shoulder, collecting all the trash and loose gravel from the road, which makes it scary to use them [[falling on loose gravel into traffic is a particular fear of mine).

Downtown Ferndale has signs posted for bikes to be walked on sidewalks.

Ann Arbor recently started enforcing traffic laws on bike riders, pulling them over and ticketing them for infractions [[be sure to carry some ID).
    Last edited by lilpup; July-02-09 at 11:10 PM.

Blarf Guest

I'm all for Bicyclists having the same rights as the drivers. The same should apply to them. They should travel the speed limit or risk impeding traffic tickets, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Wrong. There are no minimum speeds for surface streets.

The fact that there are no minimum speeds does not make any difference. If a vehicle or bicycle is moving at a speed which impedes the flow of traffic a ticket can be issued. Here's the section of the Michigan Vehicle Code where the issue is mentioned.

Sec. 660a.
    A person operating a bicycle upon a highway or street at less than the existing speed of traffic shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except as follows:
    [[a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
    [[b) When preparing to turn left.
    [[c) When conditions make the right-hand edge of the road~way unsafe or reasonably unusable by bicycles, including, but not limited to, surface hazards, an uneven roadway surface, drain openings, debris, parked or moving vehicles or bicycles, pedestrians, animals, or other obstacles, or if the lane is too narrow to permit a vehicle to safely overtake and pass a bicycle.
    [[d) When operating a bicycle in a lane in which the traffic is turning right but the individual intends to go straight through the intersection.
    [[e) When operating a bicycle upon a 1-way highway or street that has 2 or more marked traffic lanes, in which case the individual may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.

ccbatson Guest

Hey...lookee there, a law that reflects common sense. That is a keeper. Maybe the folks that wrote it can be appointed to edit the garbage coming out of Washington now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2