Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Noise, could you elaborate on the "back of house" operations at WSU?

Does the Administration direct how many class times a particular class is offered per semester or does the professors in the department have the final say-so?

Thanks also for the back-handed comment questioning my dedication to my studies.

I am blessed with an employer that offers a third shift so that I may attend morning, evening, and mid-afternoon classes. [[My sleepschedule has been a hoot for 5 & 1/2 years).

Unfortunately, many working students do not have this opportunity to finish, and their student loans come due before completion of their degree. At least cut them some slack.
    Last edited by Warrenite84; January-06-13 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrenite84 View Post
    Noise, could you elaborate on the "back of house" operations at WSU?

Does the Administration direct how many class times a particular class is offered per semester or does the professors in the department have the final say-so?

Thanks also for the back-handed comment questioning my dedication to my studies.

I am blessed with an employer that offers a third shift so that I may attend morning, evening, and mid-afternoon classes. [[My sleepschedule has been a hoot for 5 & 1/2 years).

Unfortunately, many working students do not have this opportunity to finish, and their student loans come due before completion of their degree. At least cut them some slack.
    I was certainly not attempting to insult you or question your dedication, and for that, I apologize. I was speaking more towards a general entitlement belief, not at all unusual. Please do not misconstrue that as a direct attack on you.

There are many factors that go into these types of decisions. What are the head counts? Is there actual demand? Are faculty actually rejecting these courses? What about adjuncts, who are not union members? There are differences between a "Research I" institution like WSU and a community college, in almost every possible way.

I disagree that many working students do not have the opportunity to finish their degrees. Degrees are not handouts. Personal responsibility and accountability are certainly components to successfully earning one.

If a student was signed up for a major, wouldn't it be the responsibility of the college to provide a class so that they may fulfill their requirements? Would a department allow a student to do a directed study course under a professor if there is limited demand for a course? Thanks for your insight, noise.

On a different note, I do know what it is like to be in a union, and hope this dispute sees a speedy win-win-win resolution for all involved. [[teacher-college-student)

If a student was signed up for a major, wouldn't it be the responsibility of the college to provide a class so that they may fulfill their requirements? Would a department allow a student to do a directed study course under a professor if there is limited demand for a course? Thanks for your insight, noise.

On a different note, I do know what it is like to be in a union, and hope this dispute sees a speedy win-win-win resolution for all involved. [[teacher-college-student)
    Perhaps we're addressing different questions. Is it that the college is not offering any class necessary to fulfill a requirement? That seems unlikely. I thought we were talking about offering classes at every possible hour.

No, I realize every possible hour is not reasonable. My difficulties are when the college only offers one meeting time for a class per semester. If I was on day shift like most people, an evening class would be convenient for me but be impractical for those who work on second shift. A morning and evening alternative for each class would reasonably accomodate people's work schedules and increase the liklihood of more graduates.

No, I realize every possible hour is not reasonable. My difficulties are when the college only offers one meeting time for a class per semester. If I was on day shift like most people, an evening class would be convenient for me but be impractical for those who work on second shift. A morning and evening alternative for each class would reasonably accomodate people's work schedules and increase the liklihood of more graduates.
    Well, this has nothing to do with the point of the thread or the potential strike, so I think it's best left to die. I'll stand by my belief that a degree is earned and sacrifice often needs to be made for such an achievement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2