Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    I've been out to Livonia [[grandmother-in-law lives there) and haven't had any issues but that's like 3-4 times so not enough to draw conclusions.

But the south is pretty bad. I spent my whole life down there [[lived in Texas and Virginia and spent quite a bit of time in Bama and Louisiana), except for the past three years in which I lived in Chicago. People will be nice to your face, but there is a way of doing things. The black population is what, a third of the southern population, so there's more interaction between whites and blacks and you aren't going to get dirty looks. Like I said, the best way to put it is it's less confrontational down there [[part of that is that Midwesterners are way more frank than I'm used to)...but there's way more under the surface if you stay a while - part of that is, in my opinion, minorities as a whole are more submissive as a collective because things have just been a certain way for so long, way back to the antebellum days. It's just in our culture. It really irks my husband [[Michigander) when we go back to visit - especially for SEC games in Bama and Mississippi. He hates it. Shit, in Detroit, you bust up an after-hours bar and you get a four day riot that necessitates the National Guard. Down south, a hundred years of post-slavery oppression, blown up churches, and dogs & waterhoses eventually gets you sit-ins.

I feel a million times more comfortable here in Michigan, as a whole, although I'm sure it has its bad parts. That's just my own personal experience.
    I have relatives in the deep south. There is no place on earth I loathe more. "Southern hospitality" is no more than southern hypocrisy. For as fucking insane religious as they are down there "love thy neighbor" largely does not apply to blacks, Yankees, or gays.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...ewtown-speech/

The only good thing about the south is New Orleans, and they're a bunch of heathen drunk Catholics and Creoles.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I have relatives in the deep south. There is no place on earth I loathe more. "Southern hospitality" is no more than southern hypocrisy. For as fucking insane religious as they are down there "love thy neighbor" largely does not apply to blacks, Yankees, or gays.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/12/1...ewtown-speech/

The only good thing about the south is New Orleans, and they're a bunch of heathen drunk Catholics and Creoles.
    I have noticed on this forum that the ire of Detroiters [[if you even are a Detroiter) that we harbor against each other in this region is often projected to other regions across the nation, particularly the South. Your subjective personal observations are akin to someone saying, "All black people are dumb."

While it's all fine to criticize someone for being racist, it's also deeply hypocritical to in-turn hate that person, or to summarily dismiss an entire culture that you have had a bad experience.

Recently I went to a birthday party at Cutter's, in EM, which is considered a black hangout. I invited a friend, who is white, and we went together. We were the only white people there. At one point during the night this black guy walked up to my friend, got in his face, and said, "I'm gonna rob you tonight." This was totally unprovoked. My friend was visiting from California, and had never been to Detroit before, hadn't even heard of EM. We left right after that because he didn't feel safe. If you hang out in Detroit these kinds of things are going to happen to you, more than often, and it is racism. But of course I understand that all black people aren't like that. I wish we could see more of that reasoning on this forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I have noticed on this forum that the ire of Detroiters [[if you even are a Detroiter) that we harbor against each other in this region is often projected to other regions across the nation, particularly the South. Your subjective personal observations are akin to someone saying, "All black people are dumb."

While it's all fine to criticize someone for being racist, it's also deeply hypocritical to in-turn hate that person, or to summarily dismiss an entire culture that you have had a bad experience.

Recently I went to a birthday party at Cutter's, in EM, which is considered a black hangout. I invited a friend, who is white, and we went together. We were the only white people there. At one point during the night this black guy walked up to my friend, got in his face, and said, "I'm gonna rob you tonight." This was totally unprovoked. My friend was visiting from California, and had never been to Detroit before, hadn't even heard of EM. We left right after that because he didn't feel safe. If you hang out in Detroit these kinds of things are going to happen to you, more than often, and it is racism. But of course I understand that all black people aren't like that. I wish we could see more of that reasoning on this forums.
    Sorry for your unfortunate situation, but to piggy-back on that, my Nephew and his wife [[who happens to be white) were here from NY, so we went to Cutter's about 3 years ago after a Tiger's game. We all had a great time at Cutter's with no problems what so ever. They serve great burgers btw. You can't live life in a bubble by being scared to go places. Things happen everywhere which shows with the Sandy Hook tragedy.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-17-12 at 10:47 PM.

So what it all boils down to is,

The North is just as racist as the South.
    There are places whites should not go,
    There are places blacks should not go
    Everybody has experienced senaros both good and bad.
    It is the same worldwide.

But if you really think about it ,there is a lot of energy consumed if you are a white racist because you have to hate blacks,Jews,Mexicans,Arabs,spics and I am sure there are more,and the refrigerator if it does not keep your beer cold enough.

But in the end everybody's blood is red and the ground or the incinerator does not care what color you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

But I think everybody is pretty much aware of the bus situation in Detroit and its ability to collect massive amounts of voters from bars and pool halls.If either should exist.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I was looking for a swim shop on Middlebelt.

I got turned around in a neighborhood in either Redord or Livonia.

Rode past a house with garage door sized rebel flag and the words "It ain't comin down".

I promptly got the fuck out of dodge.
    Livonia and Redford are Redneck towns that are rapidly transforming from all-white to majority black [[Redford is probably already majority black) so you have the kinda threatened-feeling working class white dudes who can be bigots.

But I don't think they're representative of the region as a whole. Even I get the willies in Livonia, and I'm totally whitebread. It has a unique vibe. You can just sense the old working class families passing on, and the future staring the community in the face.

I don't think there's any danger, though. That sounds totally overboard. Half the people shopping in Livonia stores are black folks. Go to the big box stores along Plymouth Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Livonia and Redford are Redneck towns that are rapidly transforming from all-white to majority black [[Redford is probably already majority black) so you have the kinda threatened-feeling working class white dudes who can be bigots.

But I don't think they're representative of the region as a whole. Even I get the willies in Livonia, and I'm totally whitebread. It has a unique vibe. You can just sense the old working class families passing on, and the future staring the community in the face.

I don't think there's any danger, though. That sounds totally overboard. Half the people shopping in Livonia stores are black folks. Go to the big box stores along Plymouth Rd.
    I know people get on me for ragging on Livonia, but it has a distinct vibe from the other inner-ring suburbs. I was even pretty astounded when Livonia went for Romney this past election, while virtually all the rest of the working-class, traditionally white inner-ring 'burbs went for Obama. It stuck out like a sore thumb on the online maps. Hell, even Grosse Pointe Park went for Obama! It's like an inner-ring 'burb with a outer-ring sprawl 'burb mentality.

Regarding the American Southeast, frankly, I don't have to like it any more than I have to like Kandahar, Baluchistan, or the rings of Saturn for that matter. Been there plenty of times and I don't like it. That's entirely my prerogative and says nothing dishonorable about my character.

JVB Guest

Livonia has the same feeling to me as downriver does. Something is just "off", not sure how to explain it but I get a funny vibe. I avoid both areas as a general rule.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Regarding the American Southeast, frankly, I don't have to like it any more than I have to like Kandahar, Baluchistan, or the rings of Saturn for that matter. Been there plenty of times and I don't like it. That's entirely my prerogative and says nothing dishonorable about my character.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong. But calling out an Alabama college football player for racist remarks and then coupling that with your own racist remarks is pure hypocrisy.

After reading the Freep article, two things come to mind. First, Ron Weiser was appointed ambassador to the Slovak Republic during the GWB administration. I hope, for our country's sake, he was more diplomatic with the Slovak's than he is with people in Michigan.

Second, this is the same man who instigated the deal to reorganize the Detroit Science Center into the soon to open Michigan Science Center. You gotta wonder why someone that is doing something so good for the city turns around and says something so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong. But calling out an Alabama college football player for racist remarks and then coupling that with your own racist remarks is pure hypocrisy.
    Who in God's name am I racist against? "The South" is not a race. I'm also white.

[[A) racist as defined as:

a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.

I can confidently say I've never expressed anything close to that in my dozens of non-racist, albeit possibly annoying posts on this board.

Attention! New pool hall in town! Bubbles is the name, it's on the northwest side, I think it's on Fenkell near Livernois or Wyoming. I didn't stop in, but I might if I'm in the mood to shoot some stick.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Attention! New pool hall in town! Bubbles is the name, it's on the northwest side, I think it's on Fenkell near Livernois or Wyoming. I didn't stop in, but I might if I'm in the mood to shoot some stick.
    Did it have buses parked out front?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    After reading the Freep article, two things come to mind. First, Ron Weiser was appointed ambassador to the Slovak Republic during the GWB administration. I hope, for our country's sake, he was more diplomatic with the Slovak's than he is with people in Michigan.

Second, this is the same man who instigated the deal to reorganize the Detroit Science Center into the soon to open Michigan Science Center. You gotta wonder why someone that is doing something so good for the city turns around and says something so dumb.
    I wonder if he was doing some sarcasm considering some of the way out of this world comments that come out of the mouth's of some of the city "leaders".

Graceless political suicide. Nothing like it. I walked the city of Detroit going business to business selling stupid trinkets for a half a year. Every main street and most of the businesses on them. i can think of about 1 pool hall.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Livonia has the same feeling to me as downriver does. Something is just "off", not sure how to explain it but I get a funny vibe. I avoid both areas as a general rule.
    me too ::vibes::

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    That's right, because everyone smart enough to see our two-party system as the fraud that it is must be a racist.

Makes sense.

Or are you just mad that I pointed out how your precious leader murders our fellow Americans [[such as Al-Awlaki) without due process, and sends drones that kill innocent women and children in Yemen, Pakistan etc? Does it hurt your feelings admitting your Nobel Peace Prize winning President is a blood thirsty warmonger just like Bush was? Is that what's bothering you? Or do you just want everyone to fall in line and "pick a team" so you can pigeon hole them with the beliefs of every wackjob in their party of choice?

Anybody that doesn't see the two-party system for what it is should be forced to wear a sign so we know how ignorant they are before engaging them in any meaningful conversation.

Doesn't change the fact that he is 100% on target with his comments. It's amazing how quickly some Republicans are willing to go back "in the closet" and deny that they are Republican. Oh, I'm not a Republican, I just vote for them......

The Freep's hit job is consistent with the paper's partisan 2012 coverage in which it devoted 6 articles in 2 days to Republican Romney's ill-advised 47 percent comments - while completely ignoring Democrat Obama's equally outrageous "you didn't build that" comments about American entrepreneurs.

This time, the Freep ripped Governor Snyder for his support of RTW - but ignored the violence of union thugs who destroyed the hot dog stand of an African-American vendor, Clint Tarver, as they rampaged against right-to-work at the state capitol.

But in their gleeful, 800 word hit job on Weiser, The Freep and their Democratic Party allies forgot a couple of important points: The Jewish Weiser himself is an ethnic minority and a major giver to black causes. To ad to this insult Weiser is a former chairman of the board of the United Negro College Fund in Washtenaw County.

It is only details.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    The Freep's hit job is consistent with the paper's partisan 2012 coverage in which it devoted 6 articles in 2 days to Republican Romney's ill-advised 47 percent comments - while completely ignoring Democrat Obama's equally outrageous "you didn't build that" comments about American entrepreneurs.
    If you get a chance go over to the Non-Detroit side and review the thread where comments where made concerning that statement by myself and others. That was not an "outrageous" statement but a statement taken out of context by Repubs looking to do damage control after Mitt's statement. The thread is Gov Snyder and RTW issues on table.

I just wanted to point out that the Freep is so progressive they are not reporting the news anymore just spreading their point of view.

I just wanted to point out that the Freep is so progressive they are not reporting the news anymore just spreading their point of view.
    agreed, but couldn't the same thing be said of the News?

This time, the Freep ripped Governor Snyder for his support of RTW - but ignored the violence of union thugs who destroyed the hot dog stand of an African-American vendor, Clint Tarver, as they rampaged against right-to-work at the state capitol.
    I'm pretty sure that the Governor's support for turning the state into Michissippi is slightly bigger news than a hot dog stand being vandalized.

But in their gleeful, 800 word hit job on Weiser, The Freep and their Democratic Party allies forgot a couple of important points: The Jewish Weiser himself is an ethnic minority and a major giver to black causes.
    Well, if Weiser is Jewish, then he's obviously incapable of being a bigot! Thanks for clarifying!

Yeah, the paper that endorsed Rick Snyder in 2010 is so incredibly "progressive." Obviously, you have been reading the paper's weak-sauce 'centrist' editorials for, oh, the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Yeah, the paper that endorsed Rick Snyder in 2010 is so incredibly "progressive." Obviously, you have been reading the paper's weak-sauce 'centrist' editorials for, oh, the last decade or so.
    My guess they endorsed Rick Snyder in the editorial section instead of the front page. Don't want to look too conservative.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3