Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    That Lanza guy did not get his guns legally, he stole them.
    No he didn't. His mother bought and registered them legally. He lived in the same house and she took him shooting according to some recent reports.

I guess you could argue that he took them from the house without her permission after killing her, but that's not quite the same as having stolen them from somewhere else.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No he didn't. His mother bought and registered them legally. He lived in the same house and she took him shooting according to some recent reports.

I guess you could argue that he took them from the house without her permission after killing her, but that's not quite the same as having stolen them from somewhere else.
    He stole her guns and murdered her with them. You can blame her for her own death if you'd like, but millions of kids are taken hunting and taught how to shoot without brutally murdering their mother or anybody else.

Courtesy of Michael Meredith regarding this topic on the Grosse Pointey fb page...

”I knew it wouldn't be long before the false nostalgia appeared. A quick scan of headlines from the Grosse Pointe News archives for the same week of December, back in the "Golden Days":

1945 Police Seek Molesters Molesters of young girls are at large in the Pointe again "Attempted" Robbery Proves To Have Been Successful One Purse Snatchers' Long Trail Ends

1946 Big Jewel Robbery in Park Solved After Louwers Gets Single, Faint, Fingerprint Park Equipment Reported Stolen Two Pointe Youths Guilty In Voting Booth Fire Case Arrested Twice Same Morning

1947 Seek Veteran For Larceny By Trickery Capture of Armed Thieves By Park Police Helps Solve Long Series of Robberies Window Peeper Eludes Police Sweeper Stolen Milk Truck Skimmed Delivery Truck Driver Held Up Tool Box Stolen From Bulldozer

1948 Victim of Robbery Clubbed With Gun in Park Residence Prowler Flees Through Window Car Stolen in B. and E. Abandoned in Farms Police Keep Eye on Strange Trio Hit-Run Driver of Truck Sought Prowler Calls

1951 Oft-Nabbed Youth Again in Trouble Hit-Run Driver Traced by Light Park Residents Tell Police of Suspicious Activities Slugging Victim Found in Street Truck Robbery Loss Revealed Caught Driving After Drinking Nabbed in South For Auto Theft Kids Suspected in Mailbox Fire Prowler Beats Retreat Would-Be Car Thief Jailed on Wreckless Driving Charge Fender Skirts Stolen Molester Nabbed By Park Police Thief Ransacks Park Residence Find Stolen Car Abandoned Here

1952 Soldiers Held in Jewel Theft Burglar Visits Sumeracki Home

1954 Rubber Check Artist Still Operating Two 17-Year-Olds Admit Pair of Farms Robberies Aftermath of Burglary of Babershop Dec 13 at 4:23pm · Like · 8

Just like GPP residents shouldn't believe the Bashara murder is the beginning of a wife-killing spree by GP husbands, the hysteria created by an isolated robbery need not insight the kind of us vs. them mentality encouraged by some on this thread. There always has been crime in the Pointes. Fortunately its not that high. I'm curious what the current crime statistics and trends are in the Pointes.

Note: I'm commenting via smartphone. The quote above lost its formatting in the cut & paste, but hopefully the reader can imply where commas belong. Too cumbersome to attempt on my so-called ”smart”phone.
    Last edited by mam2009; December-16-12 at 05:21 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Courtesy of Michael Meredith regarding this topic on the Grosse Pointey fb page...

”I knew it wouldn't be long before the false nostalgia appeared. A quick scan of headlines from the Grosse Pointe News archives for the same week of December, back in the "Golden Days":

1945 Police Seek Molesters Molesters of young girls are at large in the Pointe again "Attempted" Robbery Proves To Have Been Successful One Purse Snatchers' Long Trail Ends

1946 Big Jewel Robbery in Park Solved After Louwers Gets Single, Faint, Fingerprint Park Equipment Reported Stolen Two Pointe Youths Guilty In Voting Booth Fire Case Arrested Twice Same Morning

1947 Seek Veteran For Larceny By Trickery Capture of Armed Thieves By Park Police Helps Solve Long Series of Robberies Window Peeper Eludes Police Sweeper Stolen Milk Truck Skimmed Delivery Truck Driver Held Up Tool Box Stolen From Bulldozer

1948 Victim of Robbery Clubbed With Gun in Park Residence Prowler Flees Through Window Car Stolen in B. and E. Abandoned in Farms Police Keep Eye on Strange Trio Hit-Run Driver of Truck Sought Prowler Calls

1951 Oft-Nabbed Youth Again in Trouble Hit-Run Driver Traced by Light Park Residents Tell Police of Suspicious Activities Slugging Victim Found in Street Truck Robbery Loss Revealed Caught Driving After Drinking Nabbed in South For Auto Theft Kids Suspected in Mailbox Fire Prowler Beats Retreat Would-Be Car Thief Jailed on Wreckless Driving Charge Fender Skirts Stolen Molester Nabbed By Park Police Thief Ransacks Park Residence Find Stolen Car Abandoned Here

1952 Soldiers Held in Jewel Theft Burglar Visits Sumeracki Home

1954 Rubber Check Artist Still Operating Two 17-Year-Olds Admit Pair of Farms Robberies Aftermath of Burglary of Babershop Dec 13 at 4:23pm · Like · 8

Just like GPP residents shouldn't believe the Bashara murder is the beginning of a wife-killing spree by GP husbands, the hysteria created by an isolated robbery need not insight the kind of us vs. them mentality encouraged by some on this thread. There always has been crime in the Pointes. Fortunately its not that high. I'm curious what the current crime statistics and trends are in the Pointes.

Note: I'm commenting via smartphone. The quote above lost its formatting in the cut & paste, but hopefully the reader can imply where commas belong. Too cumbersome to attempt on my so-called ”smart”phone.

http://grossepointe.patch.com/articl...ity-chiefs-say

This is from nearly a year ago so it doesn't take into account 2012 stats, but both the article & the comments are enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Ask & ye shall receive. Thanks, Shollin!

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post

Sure there always has been crime in the Pointes. There is plenty now- my neighborhood [[the first block in from Detroit) has seen plenty of break ins and stolen cars. What has people acting like it is the end of the world is that we usually don't have armed robberies in the middle of the day and it is not an isolated incident. There was the jogger robbed at gunpoint at 2:00pm [[only a few blocks from two elementary schools). Two weeks ago it was my neighbor who was roughed up, knocked down and had her purse stolen as she loaded her 2 year old in the car. A few weeks before that it was the two girls robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the day who were walking near the Village. That is the last month. There is plenty more that has happened in the past few years involving robberies at knife/gunpoint. Most of the victims of these attacks have been women or young girls. There is no excuse for acting like a racist asshat but I can understand the anger.

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Sure there always has been crime in the Pointes. There is plenty now- my neighborhood [[the first block in from Detroit) has seen plenty of break ins and stolen cars. What has people acting like it is the end of the world is that we usually don't have armed robberies in the middle of the day and it is not an isolated incident. There was the jogger robbed at gunpoint at 2:00pm [[only a few blocks from two elementary schools). Two weeks ago it was my neighbor who was roughed up, knocked down and had her purse stolen as she loaded her 2 year old in the car. A few weeks before that it was the two girls robbed at gunpoint in the middle of the day who were walking near the Village. That is the last month. There is plenty more that has happened in the past few years involving robberies at knife/gunpoint. Most of the victims of these attacks have been women or young girls. There is no excuse for acting like a racist asshat but I can understand the anger.
    Just for the record, it was certainly not my intent to minimize anyone's personal experience as a victim of violent crime. Though I've lived in Detroit all my life, i've never had to deal with that so I can only IMAGINE what that must feel like. I do hope, however, that people don't get so stirred up based on a perception of an increase in crime perpetrated by black people in GP that GPers mistake my friends' black sons who live in GP for ”outsiders” as was done with Treyvon Martin in Florida. No hysteria driven vigilantism, please.

Chicago reaches 500 homicides with fatal shooting

http://news.yahoo.com/chicago-reache...145951769.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4