Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Why should I ask you what you think when you just put a whole slew of words in my mouth? Let me just cut to the chase. It would be one thing if you said the black community needs to take a tougher stance against crime and man up to some of the obstacles we face and stop being so quick to come up with excuses. At the same time you could have said it was wrong for someone to demonize an entire race of people for what a few members of that race do. You did neither. You jumped right in to defend the "'Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you.' GPF mugging reaction" sentiment. I shouldn't have to do anything to change the perception of me, I work, I pay my bills and I'm part of the 53% who pay taxes, and I'm law abiding. I do enough. You want to clean crime up in America? Then demonize the crime, demonize the actions. Stop demonizing a race of people. I want to see a list of white collar crimes, specifically the ones that damn near brought the entire world's economy to a crash. I wonder how many of those were committed by blacks. Still, despite your lies that I blame white people, I'm not the one saying, watch out for the #FFFFFFs, they'll steal your 401k.
    Now that its been established that there are criminals in all walks of life, what do you suggest to do with the black men robbing the residents of GP? Also how do we prevent them from committing the crimes?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Now that its been established that there are criminals in all walks of life, what do you suggest to do with the black men robbing the residents of GP? Also how do we prevent them from committing the crimes?
    We shouldn't be doing anything about blacks robbing the residents of GP. We should be doing something about crime, PERIOD.

We shouldn't be doing anything about blacks robbing the residents of GP. We should be doing something about crime, PERIOD.
    Yes but this thread is about crime committed in GP not in general so my question still stands.

JVB Guest

Why should I ask you what you think when you just put a whole slew of words in my mouth? Let me just cut to the chase. It would be one thing if you said the black community needs to take a tougher stance against crime and man up to some of the obstacles we face and stop being so quick to come up with excuses. At the same time you could have said it was wrong for someone to demonize an entire race of people for what a few members of that race do. You did neither. You jumped right in to defend the "'Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you.' GPF mugging reaction" sentiment. I shouldn't have to do anything to change the perception of me, I work, I pay my bills and I'm part of the 53% who pay taxes, and I'm law abiding. I do enough. You want to clean crime up in America? Then demonize the crime, demonize the actions. Stop demonizing a race of people. I want to see a list of white collar crimes, specifically the ones that damn near brought the entire world's economy to a crash. I wonder how many of those were committed by blacks. Still, despite your lies that I blame white people, I'm not the one saying, watch out for the #FFFFFFs, they'll steal your 401k.
    Well said.

I don't belong to a church, or any family that advocates criminal activity, nor am I in any peer group that advocates criminal activity. So again, how do we fix those black people? You believe the problem is black people, how do we fix them? I work upwards to 70 hours a week, I pay my bills and take care of my responsibilities. I don't need nor desire handouts. Why should I be demonized for what some people I can't control do? Can I demonize you for what people that look like you do, that you have no control over?
    Nah.

A white person does their evil, that was an individual. An isolated incident.

A black person or other minority does something, they're a collective. ALL of us gotta wear that shit and PROVE we're one of the good ones.

We get to be lectured by motherfuckers telling us if we just stop doing something, that we've never done, they'll stop blanketing all of us for the actions of very few of us.

One of the usual trolls/mental giants actually just said to ban rap music. Like he's ever fucking heard 3 minutes of it in his whole life. And white people are 70 percent of the consumers. So his "point" is just as useless as most of his output. Unless that was more of his brand of "humor".

The best, most concise post I had read in a long time;

Until I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    For starters, ban rap/hip-hop.

'Those people'

I have never understood why that is considered offensive. That can mean any group of people that are the subject of discussion. It is not a racial or derogatory term. It can mean people that drive a certain brand of car, people that live a certain lifestyle, follow a certain religion, or literally anything else.

In the context of this discussion, it can mean bad people; the people that are causing problems, whoever they are or wherever they live or whatever they do for money.
    Ban a whole genre of music? Why?

Shollin Guest

Center Line has a higher poverty rate and lower per capita income than Harper Woods, yet Harper Woods has a crime rate that is almost 3 times higher. Southfield has a higher per capita income than Sterling Heights, and it's poverty rate is only 2% higher, yet has a crime rate double of that of Sterling Heights. Interesting that these middle class cities have such vastly different crime rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    All laws do is give weapon access to "law abiding" citizens.
    This is utter nonsense. The reason we have so much gun-related violence in the U.S. is becuase we have such permissive gun laws.

Something like 90% of the massacres of the last 20 years were conducted with legally purchased guns. Almost all the illegal guns in the U.S. were legally purchased in a pro-gun jurisdiction and then illegally sold.

Want less violence [[both inner-city style and suburban random massacre-style)? Then regulate guns. No one needs rapid fire weaponry, and it isn't protected by the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This is utter nonsense. The reason we have so much gun-related violence in the U.S. is becuase we have such permissive gun laws.

Something like 90% of the massacres of the last 20 years were conducted with legally purchased guns. Almost all the illegal guns in the U.S. were legally purchased in a pro-gun jurisdiction and then illegally sold.

Want less violence [[both inner-city style and suburban random massacre-style)? Then regulate guns. No one needs rapid fire weaponry, and it isn't protected by the 2nd Amendment.
    Would you care to post your source, please? I just can't imagine someone going through a background check, buying & registering a gun, to be able to rob joggers of I-Pods @ gunpoint.

Would you care to post your source, please? I just can't imagine someone going through a background check, buying & registering a gun, to be able to rob joggers of I-Pods @ gunpoint.

I can imagine a guy like whatshisname Lanza going out to buy automatics with a minimal bg check and getting them. What if your teen or twentysomething never committed a crime? They will get all the packing power their little mind and gonads need to commit what they want. Think of this Lanza guy storming through a school with a knife or a revolver, chances are the guy would have met his challenge sooner. How does a guy like him go through the minimal checks to get a gun is a better question. He will probably be ID'd as a loner type with a history of mental illness and yet nothing was ever done to stop that cash register to stop ringing in that gun shop because well, just because I guess...

Shollin Guest

England has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the World. Their murder rate is also among the lowest in the World. So much so that a lot of cops don't even carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    The best, most concise post I had read in a long time;

Until I read this:
    What was wrong with that statement? What's so great about residents of GP that they should never be robbed, but it's okay for anyone else? If we drive down the crime rate by fighting a behavior that is defined as crime we automatically fight crime against residents of GP. However, is it bad that a resident of GP is robbed, or that they were robbed by a black person? Personally I don't want to be robbed by anyone and it is much more valuable to profile behavior than a race.

What was wrong with that statement? What's so great about residents of GP that they should never be robbed, but it's okay for anyone else? If we drive down the crime rate by fighting a behavior that is defined as crime we automatically fight crime against residents of GP. However, is it bad that a resident of GP is robbed, or that they were robbed by a black person? Personally I don't want to be robbed by anyone and it is much more valuable to profile behavior than a race.
    I think his saying the second post is now the best, most concise etc...

JVB Guest

I can imagine a guy like whatshisname Lanza going out to buy automatics with a minimal bg check and getting them. What if your teen or twentysomething never committed a crime? They will get all the packing power their little mind and gonads need to commit what they want. Think of this Lanza guy storming through a school with a knife or a revolver, chances are the guy would have met his challenge sooner. How does a guy like him go through the minimal checks to get a gun is a better question. He will probably be ID'd as a loner type with a history of mental illness and yet nothing was ever done to stop that cash register to stop ringing in that gun shop because well, just because I guess...
    That Lanza guy did not get his guns legally, he stole them.

He actually tried to buy a gun from the Sporting Goods store and gave up because he didn't want to go through the background check and waiting period. In other words - the gun laws did their job and he still got guns.

The amazing thing about homicidal maniacs is they don't tend to obey the law. Yet we expect to be able to stop them with more laws that we know they won't obey.

By the way, the biggest school massacre in US history happened right here in Michigan [[Bath School Disaster) and not a single gun was used.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I think his saying the second post is now the best, most concise etc...
    Oooops, yea probably. LOL @ me misreading that. Canuck, ignore my last post.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; December-16-12 at 04:33 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    That Lanza guy did not get his guns legally, he stole them.

He actually tried to buy a gun from the Sporting Goods store and gave up because he didn't want to go through the background check and waiting period. In other words - the gun laws did their job and he still got guns.

The amazing thing about homicidal maniacs is they don't tend to obey the law. Yet we expect to be able to stop them with more laws that we know they won't obey.

By the way, the biggest school massacre in US history happened right here in Michigan [[Bath School Disaster) and not a single gun was used.
    James Holmes bought all his guns legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    England has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the World. Their murder rate is also among the lowest in the World. So much so that a lot of cops don't even carry guns.
    And then there is Switzerland.

They GIVE their citizens assault rifles, yet gun crime is so low they don’t even record the statistics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1566715.stm

“Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept. The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.”

“This is in a very large part due to Switzerland's unique system of national defense, developed over the centuries. Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives. Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home.”

“In addition to the government-provided arms, there are few restrictions on buying weapons. Some cantons restrict the carrying of firearms - others do not. Despite the lack of rigid gun laws, firearms are strictly connected to a sense of collective responsibility.”

Because there was money to be made and he had a right. As tragic as this incident was, he's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the everyday, run of the mill, armed robberies, breakins, assaults, shootings, etc.

JVB Guest

Because there was money to be made and he had a right. As tragic as this incident was, he's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the everyday, run of the mill, armed robberies, breakins, assaults, shootings, etc.
    Lanza did not buy those guns he stole them. The existing gun laws prevented him from buying any weapons.

James Holmes bought all his guns legally.
    No shit, but the post I quoted was about Lanza.

You can't legislate against crazy you can only try to protect yourself from it. McVeigh used fertilizer, the Bath School Massacre was mining explosives, the Mexican drug cartels use chainsaws and knives - you can't stop potential tragedies by making everything illegal because criminals don't obey the laws anyway.

Guns are completely illegal in Chicago, let's check in on how that's working...oh shit highest murder rate in the country. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the drug dealers in Chicago aren't particularly concerned with the laws regarding guns, but I would imagine the average homeowner stuck in the crossfire sure wishes they could at least protect themselves. Problem is, they obey the laws and that would be illegal so they just have to sit there and wait for the smoke to clear and hope they don't become a victim.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Lanza did not buy those guns he stole them. The existing gun laws prevented him from buying any weapons.

No shit, but the post I quoted was about Lanza.

You can't legislate against crazy you can only try to protect yourself from it. McVeigh used fertilizer, the Bath School Massacre was mining explosives, the Mexican drug cartels use chainsaws and knives - you can't stop potential tragedies by making everything illegal because criminals don't obey the laws anyway.

Guns are completely illegal in Chicago, let's check in on how that's working...oh shit highest murder rate in the country. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the drug dealers in Chicago aren't particularly concerned with the laws regarding guns, but I would imagine the average homeowner stuck in the crossfire sure wishes they could at least protect themselves. Problem is, they obey the laws and that would be illegal so they just have to sit there and wait for the smoke to clear and hope they don't become a victim.
    Chicago does not have the highest murder rate in the country. Detroit easily surpasses Chicago. England has the most restrictive gun laws in the world and don't have nearly as many homicides as the US does.

Chicago does not have the highest murder rate in the country. Detroit easily surpasses Chicago. England has the most restrictive gun laws in the world and don't have nearly as many homicides as the US does.
    Chicago
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...hings-working/

Detroit
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2218233.html

That's a hard call. It could be because of gun restrictions, it could be the populace has a different attitude about life in general.

JVB Guest

England has the most restrictive gun laws in the world and don't have nearly as many homicides as the US does.
    And in Switzerland every single person has a gun by law and almost zero murders. What's your point? Somehow their guns aren't killing people, but ours are...maybe it's not the guns? Maybe it's the people?

Besides, violent crime in the US is at its lowest point in almost 40 years and has been steadily decreasing since the early 90's. Despite how the media tries to portray things, this country is the safest it's been in my lifetime and I'm 37.

Last edited by JVB; December-16-12 at 05:08 PM.

Yep Crumbled_pavement, as Brizee says, I meant just that lol, it's OK.

I mean, how about determining how to nip criminal behavior in the bud as opposed to profiling young black males as potential criminals?

Because if you read people's intentions by their posts, you will find that they are more concerned with building a cinder block wall than building a footbridge to restore a community. Maybe because that community in the widest sense never really existed and it has grown more apart and the black community has indeed gotten more violent. But the culture of violence, especially gun violence as I said, is a given in the United States, it's a formal thing. It's expedient and it's final, dramatic; and in a way it reflects the tensions of living within a republic that says one thing and means another. You hear a lot about freedom, upward mobility and working your way to some sort of dream status but there is a lot of sadness in the fact that wealth and celebrity are peddled as all-important and that most people have to lead unheralded lives.

Another ingredient is that media and advertizing will keep everybody in a state of emergency, panic, paranoļa, on the verge of catastrophy, on a lookout for determining what disease you think you may have, and what medication you should ask your doctor to prescribe in case you have it. Add a couple of registered guns to the mix and you can easily become a caricature of evil, and who knows; a celebrity. So that panic is an important ingredient in creating an alertness for determining things that seem to threaten your livelihood, or "lifestyle" which is a couple of notches up the food chain. You will go out and buy more dried foodstuffs, cans of beans, batteries, a radio, and oh yes guns and ammo. I forgot Rolaids.

In Canada, we experience a watered down version of US lifestyle. We have a common history of colonial expansion to the west with all that implies, the hypocrisy of dealing with the untreatable,intractable indians who were in the way of progress and good manners, so we shot a whole lot of them, displaced the less recalcitrant. The difference with the US is that slavery was never institutionalized and a major economic factor in the "life" of the country.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast