Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Anyways, yeah this GPP mentality is pretty weird. That walled-off theme is just the other side of the ghetto mentality that they claim to abhorr. This is the same old- same old that entrenches the status quo for years to come. I doubt the metropolitan area can get some consensual thing going if this is the reaction you can poll on twitter by a sizable margin.
    Yeah they're pretty racist alright. Just because someone takes your I-Pod @ gunpoint because you want to go for an evening jog, or a 250 pd. guy knocks down your 14 year old and steals her I-Phone, or a nun gets accosted @ gunpoint for "her money", or a guy attempts to sufficate you while you're taking your garbage out and his partner enters your home and demands your 70 year old wife "get down on the floor", or someone kicks the front door in on your T-Mobile store, or they find their car windows broken out and car ransacked, or their homes. Just because these kind of things repeatedly keep happening in their pristeen neighborhoods, that they work hard for to keep up, these stupid rich white elitist people develop an attitude towards the poor folk North of Mack. Who cares if they give their time to work in soup kitchens and other organizations in Detroit, or donate money to homeless shelters, or COTS, or raise money to put a new roof on a building on Belle Isle. The people that post here know these "Pointers" for who they are alright. They're just rich, snooty, unwarranted racists. I hope a bird poops on their freshly washed car.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yeah they're pretty racist alright. Just because someone takes your I-Pod @ gunpoint because you want to go for an evening jog, or a 250 pd. guy knocks down your 14 year old and steals her I-Phone, or a nun gets accosted @ gunpoint for "her money", or a guy attempts to sufficate you while you're taking your garbage out and his partner enters your home and demands your 70 year old wife "get down on the floor", or someone kicks the front door in on your T-Mobile store, or they find their car windows broken out and car ransacked, or their homes. Just because these kind of things repeatedly keep happening in their pristeen neighborhoods, that they work hard for to keep up, these stupid rich white elitist people develop an attitude towards the poor folk North of Mack. Who cares if they give their time to work in soup kitchens and other organizations in Detroit, or donate money to homeless shelters, or COTS, or raise money to put a new roof on a building on Belle Isle. The people that post here know these "Pointers" for who they are alright. They're just rich, snooty, unwarranted racists. I hope a bird poops on their freshly washed car.

Don't give up, just build a wall around the place and get more police to scan the golden mile day and night, keep anything darker than a paper lampshade at bay; that should take care of it, fix that problem...

Don't give up, just build a wall around the place and get more police to scan the golden mile day and night, keep anything darker than a paper lampshade at bay; that should take care of it, fix that problem...
    What?? Canuck anytime you want a real tour and actually get to see for yourself what really is going on here as opposed to your "perceived" ideas of what GP is I would be more than willing to give a very different view of the area you know so little about.

JVB Guest

How dare Grosse Pointers not want their precious little neighborhood to look like it does on the other side of Alter. What a bunch of racists.

So how will getting robbed by "people on the other side of Alter" change the way your neighborhood looks?!?

Man, I live on the other side of Alter. I'd better be careful next time I drive to Grosse Pointe. Wait, I've never had a problem doing that.

Hysteria has receded.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    What?? Canuck anytime you want a real tour and actually get to see for yourself what really is going on here as opposed to your "perceived" ideas of what GP is I would be more than willing to give a very different view of the area you know so little about.
    When I do come down to Detroit sometime next year maybe, I'll take you up on the offer, thanks.

No offense, brizee, but I can't remember the last time I read a stockbroker robbed a CEO @ gunpoint for his Blackberry. These kind of stories are appearing more frequently in that neighborhood. If you want peoples perception of someone to change, perhaps the community ought to work on some of it's more problematic members? Just sayin'....
    Well, when's the last time you read about a well-off GPer hiring a guy to kill his wife and another guy to kill the guy who killed his wife?

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Well, when's the last time you read about a well-off GPer hiring a guy to kill his wife and another guy to kill the guy who killed his wife?
    Your right. I do believe I've read about it once. When's the last time you read about a poor Detroiter shooting his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/neighbor/stranger/small child/crowd of people? But this string is about robbery. When's the last time you read about one of those "well-off GPer's" robbing a Detroiter out for a walk @ gunpoint?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-16-12 at 07:59 AM.

Your right. I do believe I've read about it once. When's the last time you read about a poor Detroiter shooting his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/neighbor/stranger/crowd of people?
    So now that we've identified black are the problem, what do we do about eliminating the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    So now that we've identified black are the problem, what do we do about eliminating the problem?
    I don't know anymore CP. In my opinion, this requires an attitude change about the way people deal with their life situation and others around them. As long as someone feels they're justified in taking what they want, or settling the score @ gunpoint, it's going to go on, and even escalate. That was my original point to brizee. Maybe it didn't come off right.

I don't know anymore CP. In my opinion, this requires an attitude change about the way people deal with their life situation and others around them. As long as someone feels they're justified in taking what they want, or settling the score @ gunpoint, it's going to go on, and even escalate. That was my original point to brizee. Maybe it didn't come off right.
    But more specifically, we have to figure out why black people are the only ones that fail to deal with their life situation and others around them, and why they feel justified in taking whatever they want, and are so hellbent on settling the score. Once we figure out what is wrong with those black people, maybe we can fix them. Before we can get to that though, Honky Tonk, what is wrong with them?

But more specifically, we have to figure out why black people are the only ones that fail to deal with their life situation and others around them, and why they feel justified in taking whatever they want, and are so hellbent on settling the score. Once we figure out what is wrong with those black people, maybe we can fix them. Before we can get to that though, Honky Tonk, what is wrong with them?
    You're putting words in my mouth and baiting the conversation. But that's about par for the course. Instead of REALLY dealing with the issue, we'll cry racist, point out that one of the "rich white guy's" called a hit on his wife, so they're all evil too, and kick the can down the road.

You're putting words in my mouth and baiting the conversation. But that's about par for the course. Instead of REALLY dealing with the issue, we'll cry racist, point out that one of the "rich white guy's" called a hit on his wife, so they're all evil too, and kick the can down the road.
    I never cried racist or said the evil white rich guy did anything. I'm asking you, how do we fix the problem?

The thread started with this line and I quote:
    "'Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you.' GPP mugging reaction."

You proceeded to defend that line of thinking by saying:
    "No offense, brizee, but I can't remember the last time I read a stockbroker robbed a CEO @ gunpoint for his Blackberry. These kind of stories are appearing more frequently in that neighborhood. If you want peoples perception of someone to change, perhaps the community ought to work on some of it's more problematic members? Just sayin'...."

So I guess if I don't make other black people behave it is okay to stereotype me as one of those #000000s you need to watch out for. I'm being dead serious when I ask you, how do we fix those black people?

'Justification' is a large factor in criminality and corruption. And yes there are options to taking the unearned be if from my home or while I am in my driveway, pumping my gas, walking my dog [[if I had one), or jogging in Detroit or the burbs such as Gross Point. I justify NEITHER! The blatant CRIME needs to end, and more people are going see to it that they do not become a statistic.

Oh YEAH we need an attitude change!

I never cried racist or said the evil white rich guy did anything. I'm asking you, how do we fix the problem?

The thread started with this line and I quote:
    "'Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you.' GPP mugging reaction."

You proceeded to defend that line of thinking by saying:
    "No offense, brizee, but I can't remember the last time I read a stockbroker robbed a CEO @ gunpoint for his Blackberry. These kind of stories are appearing more frequently in that neighborhood. If you want peoples perception of someone to change, perhaps the community ought to work on some of it's more problematic members? Just sayin'...."

So I guess if I don't make other black people behave it is okay to stereotype me as one of those #000000s you need to watch out for. I'm being dead serious when I ask you, how do we fix those black people?
    "how do we fix those black people?"

That's the part I found offensive in your original reply. IF this is a serious question, IMO, you have to find out who holds the most influence on "those" people. Church, family, media, immediate peer group? [[the last one is rough) These are the people that would have the power to influence and change attitudes. Outside of this group, I think you'd have little chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    This is a massive oversimplification. US violent crime rates have been dropping rapidly since the 70s. Guess what has been rising rapidly in the same period: US income inequality. I'm not saying inequality isn't part of the story, but it is just one part.

I'm reminded of the thread here where many justified the stealing from cars of the people visiting the Packaed plant.

The crime is the result of someone being there, or of income inequality, but never the fault of a theif out violating the rights of others.

"how do we fix those black people?"

That's the part I found offensive in your original reply. IF this is a serious question, IMO, you have to find out who holds the most influence on "those" people. Church, family, media, immediate peer group? [[the last one is rough) These are the people that would have the power to influence and change attitudes. Outside of this group, I think you'd have little chance.
    I don't belong to a church, or any family that advocates criminal activity, nor am I in any peer group that advocates criminal activity. So again, how do we fix those black people? You believe the problem is black people, how do we fix them? I work upwards to 70 hours a week, I pay my bills and take care of my responsibilities. I don't need nor desire handouts. Why should I be demonized for what some people I can't control do? Can I demonize you for what people that look like you do, that you have no control over?

Youse also have to look at what attitudes are promoted in contemporary society. The whole gangbang bullshit black youngsters are meant to emulate that carries with it facility, violence, depreciation of women, and further isolation. The black community has to deal with countering these images even though a minority of kids aspire to the negative lifestyle.

The right and wrong sides of the tracks mentality is instilled and reinforced by the fact that for a long time, blacks were confined to areas of the city that made it very hard to aspire to anything outside their community. Migrant black families who moved from city to city would still find the comfort of ghetto upon arrival and the values of iniquity staring blankly at them. There is a learned pattern of behavior that is hard to wash off.

You can always look at what is to be done now to remedy the situation but really, the idea is to ask what could have been done before to bring better conditions to the black community. I hear some of you say; "Forget about the past, we are talking about now". But this is not a value judgment on my part so much as an observation of the demise of Detroit and similar cities. In other words, long isolation has produced two cultures in the USA that have come to a head; there is a lot to do yes, but as in the case for gun controls and other issues; it is pretty far gone. There is a culture of violence promoted and entertained that is just as prevalent in majority as it is in minority cultures; it just takes different forms. In white folks it may take the form of a bumper sticker; "This pickup protected by Smith and Wesson" or something more authoritative and omnipotent like the whole police and military apparatus. And really, what I am saying is; violence is promoted in US culture as a whole. There has to be a right and wrong side of the tracks for this to bloom into a more violent culture. And then you have nutjobs who go out and shoot kids in a kindergarten class to even things out, because the sober folks at the NRA stand up to protect that dog given right to bear powerful weapons.

Wasnt it last week Michigan was to vote a law about OKaying guns in school?

Your right. I do believe I've read about it once. When's the last time you read about a poor Detroiter shooting his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/neighbor/stranger/small child/crowd of people? But this string is about robbery. When's the last time you read about one of those "well-off GPer's" robbing a Detroiter out for a walk @ gunpoint?
    Was it a Detroiter who robbed this person at gunpoint? The middle of Grosse Pointe Farms seems an odd place for a Detroiter to choose to rob a random person.

Very well said canuck. It's like me having two children sitting right in front of me. I hit one kid on the arm with a ruler as hard as I can. The other kid I feed cake and ice cream and pat him on the head and tell him what a wonderful person he is. Why should I be shocked one of the kids wants to hit me back, even as the other kid thinks I'm a cool guy?

I don't belong to a church, or any family that advocates criminal activity, nor am I in any peer group that advocates criminal activity. So again, how do we fix those black people? You believe the problem is black people, how do we fix them? I work upwards to 70 hours a week, I pay my bills and take care of my responsibilities. I don't need nor desire handouts. Why should I be demonized for what some people I can't control do? Can I demonize you for what people that look like you do, that you have no control over?
    "You believe the problem is black people, how do we fix them?" I never said that, and again please refer to my post about putting words in my mouth and baiting the conversation, Ok? My ancestors NEVER owned slaves, never protested against blacks moving into the neighborhood, never perpetrated hate against anyone. My father worked 80+ hours a week, paid his bills on time too, walked to work, and got his ass kicked for no reason @ all. I've been shot, stabbed, and almost died. AND still I don't sling racist slurs because I know it isn't "those black people". You don't think racial and anti-white slurs are being hurled @ "us" too? What la-la-land are you living in? I suppose we deserve it because some white people did stuff to some black people years ago? HOWEVER, back to the subject @ hand, please feel free to show me stats where the majority of these crimes being committed on the GP border are by non-blacks. I'm dead sure that happens too, but it isn't the norm. You want to change people's perception, you have to work @ it. Oh, and if you want to know what I "think", feel free to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by mam2009 View Post
    Was it a Detroiter who robbed this person at gunpoint? The middle of Grosse Pointe Farms seems an odd place for a Detroiter to choose to rob a random person.
    You could be right. It could've been a broke commodities trader that was desperate to get his "buying" fix.

Youse also have to look at what attitudes are promoted in contemporary society. The whole gangbang bullshit black youngsters are meant to emulate that carries with it facility, violence, depreciation of women, and further isolation. The black community has to deal with countering these images even though a minority of kids aspire to the negative lifestyle.
    For starters, ban rap/hip-hop.

'Those people'

I have never understood why that is considered offensive. That can mean any group of people that are the subject of discussion. It is not a racial or derogatory term. It can mean people that drive a certain brand of car, people that live a certain lifestyle, follow a certain religion, or literally anything else.

In the context of this discussion, it can mean bad people; the people that are causing problems, whoever they are or wherever they live or whatever they do for money.

The right and wrong sides of the tracks mentality is instilled and reinforced by the fact that for a long time, blacks were confined to areas of the city that made it very hard to aspire to anything outside their community. Migrant black families who moved from city to city would still find the comfort of ghetto upon arrival and the values of iniquity staring blankly at them. There is a learned pattern of behavior that is hard to wash off.

You can always look at what is to be done now to remedy the situation but really, the idea is to ask what could have been done before to bring better conditions to the black community. I hear some of you say; "Forget about the past, we are talking about now". But this is not a value judgment on my part so much as an observation of the demise of Detroit and similar cities. In other words, long isolation has produced two cultures in the USA that have come to a head; there is a lot to do yes, but as in the case for gun controls and other issues; it is pretty far gone. There is a culture of violence promoted and entertained that is just as prevalent in majority as it is in minority cultures; it just takes different forms. In white folks it may take the form of a bumper sticker; "This pickup protected by Smith and Wesson" or something more authoritative and omnipotent like the whole police and military apparatus. And really, what I am saying is; violence is promoted in US culture as a whole. There has to be a right and wrong side of the tracks for this to bloom into a more violent culture. And then you have nutjobs who go out and shoot kids in a kindergarten class to even things out, because the sober folks at the NRA stand up to protect that dog given right to bear powerful weapons.

Wasnt it last week Michigan was to vote a law about OKaying guns in school?
    Canuck, I grew up on the streets, and with all due respect, "when guns are outlawed, outlaws will have guns", no joke. A whole underground market thrives getting illegal guns into the hands of people indesciminately. People who don't want to go through the "hassle" of purchasing a weapon legally, don't want the weapon traced back to them, or can't quite pass the background checks, create this market. Read about the govenment's failed "Fast and Furious" sting. The amount of weapons released and unaccounted for is staggering. All laws do is give weapon access to "law abiding" citizens. The thought of school kids carrying weapons doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

"You believe the problem is black people, how do we fix them?" I never said that, and again please refer to my post about putting words in my mouth and baiting the conversation, Ok? My ancestors NEVER owned slaves, never protested against blacks moving into the neighborhood, never perpetrated hate against anyone. My father worked 80+ hours a week, paid his bills on time too, walked to work, and got his ass kicked for no reason @ all. I've been shot, stabbed, and almost died. AND still I don't sling racist slurs because I know it isn't "those black people". You don't think racial and anti-white slurs are being hurled @ "us" too? What la-la-land are you living in? I suppose we deserve it because some white people did stuff to some black people years ago? HOWEVER, back to the subject @ hand, please feel free to show me stats where the majority of these crimes being committed on the GP border are by non-blacks. I'm dead sure that happens too, but it isn't the norm. You want to change people's perception, you have to work @ it. Oh, and if you want to know what I "think", feel free to ask me.
    Why should I ask you what you think when you just put a whole slew of words in my mouth? Let me just cut to the chase. It would be one thing if you said the black community needs to take a tougher stance against crime and man up to some of the obstacles we face and stop being so quick to come up with excuses. At the same time you could have said it was wrong for someone to demonize an entire race of people for what a few members of that race do. You did neither. You jumped right in to defend the "'Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you.' GPF mugging reaction" sentiment. I shouldn't have to do anything to change the perception of me, I work, I pay my bills and I'm part of the 53% who pay taxes, and I'm law abiding. I do enough. You want to clean crime up in America? Then demonize the crime, demonize the actions. Stop demonizing a race of people. I want to see a list of white collar crimes, specifically the ones that damn near brought the entire world's economy to a crash. I wonder how many of those were committed by blacks. Still, despite your lies that I blame white people, I'm not the one saying, watch out for the #FFFFFFs, they'll steal your 401k.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; December-16-12 at 11:52 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast