Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Only the little people must pay property taxes.

The narrow 58-49 vote came on a day when city records revealed the Ilitch companies owe more than $1.5 million in Detroit taxes on two parcels that make up Joe Louis Arena.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2EyuBGmNq

I like this part

"There is a dispute at hand here, but not a failure on anyone's part to pay or collect taxes. It is a business issue being worked out."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2EyuLN3n5

and also this one

The legislation, which Gov. Rick Snyder is expected to sign into law, lets the Ilitches apply for Detroit's Downtown Development Authority school property tax money that amounts to $12.8 million a year.
    Good thing the schools do not need the money.

so basically the property tax dispute comes from a new lease negotiation that has been going on for over two years but not resolved because of the uncertainty of the building the new arena ,so if they build the arena the city loses the $1.5 million in back taxes?

I had brought up the tax capture aspect in my hypothetical interurban thread and was told it would never happen because it had to get house approval and that would take years ,lol this guy did it in days.

The Red Wings have enjoyed what is considered the best lease arrangement of any National Hockey League team at Joe Louis. Olympia Entertainment has leased the hockey arena, Cobo Arena and an adjacent parking structure for $475,000 a year, while the city tossed in free police protection, landscaping and snow removal.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2EywK98oS

I find it interesting how some are placed high on pedestal within the city and how they profess their love for the city and why they stick with it,but it always seems to boil down to its because of hundreds of millions in incentives or because its a free for all of doing business while the rest of the city suffers ,not to much to take pride in there.

Of course it gets even better when
    an attorney at Miller Canfield representing Ilitch Holdings.

Last edited by Richard; December-13-12 at 07:46 PM.