Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

When I passed by the Book a couple weeks ago, I noticed that they have put up scaffolding and fencing around the ground floor. Could be some truth to the rumors...

Also, a couple months back now, AKNO, the company who owns the Book, also bought the three story building to the south of the complex and boarded it up in the same fashion. This was about the same time a news report said a deal was in the works and they were working on financing. I believe it was on channel 4.

There definitely seems to be something afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    When I passed by the Book a couple weeks ago, I noticed that they have put up scaffolding and fencing around the ground floor. Could be some truth to the rumors...

Also, a couple months back now, AKNO, the company who owns the Book, also bought the three story building to the south of the complex and boarded it up in the same fashion. This was about the same time a news report said a deal was in the works and they were working on financing. I believe it was on channel 4.

There definitely seems to be something afoot.
    That scaffolding has been up as long as I've been in Detroit [[about 3 months). There are a ton of buildings around town with scaffolding and it's usually just a protective measure for older buildings that have risk of crumble. For some reason, instead of making people fix buildings, the city just requires protection from "falling rocks." It could be a sign, but scaffolding itself isn't enough to mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Fire code requires 2 stairwells that do not empty into the same area. I think the external would suffice but I am not 100% certain on what the code states.
    There would need to be two enclosed regardless of occupancy. Plus it's too close in proximity to the interior stair. The hallway winds around in a U shape back towards the elevators, creating a dead end corridor which isn't allowed with that amount of travel distance. If the existing exterior fire escape is left in place it still must be serviceable. As is, it can be used and is deficient, but not failing. I actually took that photo posted above on a tour awhile back when the building was still open. There's a couple loose connections where face brick has seperated but the fire escape can be repaired.

I think there was three elevators way up in the tower. I think the other bank served the lowrise portion. Because there would only be a few units per floor, you'd be able to get away with two, but one of those would be designated as freight. That stair will require some space and it's logical to keep it near the elevators so if one shaft must absolutely go you have a place to accommodate at least 30% of it.

I don't know why there is confusion over HVAC handling. Like most modern highrises it would utilize a hot / chilled water circulation that residents have secondary control over. The fan room in each unit shouldn't be big, and you'll just soffit the duct work over core areas and diffuse from there. Out of site out of mind.

Existing hot water system and radiators are obsolete and will not appropriately provide balanced heating for new residential space. If retained, they'd still "work" but they wouldn't be efficient. So as long as the old windows go, so should the radiators. The likeliness is all piping and conduit will be entirely removed and the building gutted to the shell.
    Last edited by wolverine; December-13-12 at 02:03 AM.

Possibly my favorite building downtown, seeing this even being a rumor is exciting. But then again we've been hearing these rumors for years. And the scaffolding was put up by the city as a precaution for falling debris, not a sign of possible rehab of the building unfortunately. Outside of the views of downtown from the Broderick, I think the views from the Book Tower might be the second best. It'd be pretty incredibly to see this redeveloped with it anchoring the north end of Washington and the possibly new arena/entertainment district just a few blocks away.

Apparently there are seven elevators on the tower side along with an internal staircase. At least that's what these plans show:

http://commons.emich.edu/cgi/viewcon...context=theses

Thanks Hudkina for the very interesting document... so the "uncovered" atrium dome is in the Book Building, not in the tower. And there were plans for a second modern stairwell atrium.

All very interesting.

I spoke to a friend who's brother in law is "working" on a very big landmark project in Detroit . He said because of a private discloure he couldn't say which one , but it could be that one ! I'll keep you posted !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I spoke to a friend who's brother in law is "working" on a very big landmark project in Detroit . He said because of a private discloure he couldn't say which one , but it could be that one ! I'll keep you posted !
    I always get a kick out of when people say they can't "disclose" information about a "project", as if they are somebody important with top-secret classified information, or that anybody actually cares for that matter. Putting oneself up on a pedalstal is just human nature I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    I always get a kick out of when people say they can't "disclose" information about a "project", as if they are somebody important with top-secret classified information, or that anybody actually cares for that matter. Putting oneself up on a pedalstal is just human nature I guess.
    Some business owners keep things a secreet for whatever reason... had you been here a few years ago, you would have seen the thread[[s) about the United Artists Building/Theatre, where no one knew what was actually going on... and those that did were sworn to secrecy... when the building/theatre got a new roof, had the debris cleaned out, had the front canopy removed, and had new drywall inserted on some floors. We didn't know why then, and we still don't know why now... BUT we do care...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-15-12 at 01:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2