Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

"You've got the city facing its own fiscal cliff, and yet we've had more people coming down in the past 24 hours complaining about somebody wanting to come in and buy vacant lots to plant trees," Cockrel said. "It's kind of crazy when you think about it."

He acknowledged there were legitimate policy questions.
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2F2AdXgjZ

The policy questions is what gave me some caution from the beginning. For their part, I'm happy with council on this one. Bing tried to shove this through with little transparency just as he tried to shove through hiring Miller Canfield on the bond issue. I'm glad council shed some light on this before taking their vote. Some call it obstructionist. I call it due diligence.

However, in the newspaper articles I've read, I still don't see too many details of the agreement. Does anybody have a source where I can read up on the agreement without getting too much legal mumbo jumbo?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2F2AdXgjZ

The policy questions is what gave me some caution from the beginning. For their part, I'm happy with council on this one. Bing tried to shove this through with little transparency just as he tried to shove through hiring Miller Canfield on the bond issue. I'm glad council shed some light on this before taking their vote. Some call it obstructionist. I call it due diligence.

However, in the newspaper articles I've read, I still don't see too many details of the agreement. Does anybody have a source where I can read up on the agreement without getting too much legal mumbo jumbo?

While I'm skeptical about the whole scheme, myself, I think it's pretty ridiculous to say of a project that's literally been before the council for years, now, and through numerous community meetings and council committee sessions that it was "shove through" anything.

There are legitimate questions. In my last point I made note of there being no real way that ALL of this land can efficiently be used for a tree farm, but this thing was sprung on the community in the 11th hour. Now, if someone believes that due diligence wasn't done by the council, that's one thing, but this wasn't something shoved through with little community input.