Hello.... I'm moving to Detroit from Chicago and I'm looking for a place to live. I've heard great things about Royal Oak, Birmingham, and Ferndale, but a lot of apartments online seem to need of a modern-day facelift. I'm excited to be in the area, and to find a house with historic charm and character, but I'm struggling to find one that suits my needs right now.

Which brings me to explore some opportunities in downtown Detroit. I know it's not Chicago, but I do like a great view, a building with a gym, maybe a roofdeck, close proximity to cool new restaurants, bars, parks, lake front, or something. Are there lofts, condos, high-rises, or any places downtown that are super-cool, totally safe, and have modern appliances? I'm in desperate need some help, please?!

1. What are the areas, places, or locations to search on Craigslist, ie search for "Corktown" or "University District" or something?
  2. Do you know of any rental agents that are active downtown? If so, please share a reference?
  3. Is there a better way to search for good housing downtown?

Thanks guys. I look forward to joining the Detroit/Michigan community! Cheers....

PS: I'm a marketing/sales guy in my early-30s, single, with a dog. I don't need much, but I like get out and run or walk my pooch at various times during the day/night. Hopefully that's not a deal breaker downtown!