Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

With regards to a pool, a cheaper option is the Boll Center YMCA, which is downtown. It's got a pool with dedicated lap lanes and a 1/4 mile track- it's a pretty nice facility in my opinion [[probably not as nice as teh DYC) and if you live downtown, very convenient.

Detroit has good points and a LOT of bad points. I'll sing Detroit's praises, but take objection to posts like "I've never heard a gunshot". When I was looking to buy, I wish residents had been a little more straight forward with me instead of painting the rosy revival picture. Other then that, welcome aboard! Be sure to buckle up.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Agreed, and I'll never understand why Obama doubled down and sent more troops for such a pointless waste of human life.
    Very easy. In 2008, he needed some national Defense cred, so he and his crowd pushed the meme that Iraq was the "wrong war" [[i.e. Bush's War) while Afganaistan was the "right war on terror" which had been neglected by Bush [[i.e. fought at a low level). The Obamessiah bought Afghanistan with his own big mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Detroit has good points and a LOT of bad points. I'll sing Detroit's praises, but take objection to posts like "I've never heard a gunshot". When I was looking to buy, I wish residents had been a little more straight forward with me instead of painting the rosy revival picture. Other then that, welcome aboard! Be sure to buckle up.
    Take all of the objection that you like – but the fact remains that I’ve never heard a gunshot in the two years that I’ve been here. I’m not discounting anyone and the things they have heard – I know it happens all of the time, but I have not experienced it, and I hope I never do. Here if it makes you happy [[now comes my lie) I’ve heard several shots fired over the past two years – does that make you feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Take all of the objection that you like – but the fact remains that I’ve never heard a gunshot in the two years that I’ve been here. I’m not discounting anyone and the things they have heard – I know it happens all of the time, but I have not experienced it, and I hope I never do. Here if it makes you happy [[now comes my lie) I’ve heard several shots fired over the past two years – does that make you feel better?
    What caliber were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    OUT-OF-TOWNER: I think I'd like to move to Detroit.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: What? Are you nuts? That place is a hellhole full of crime and gunfire!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, I have some friends there and they say it's no more dangerous than any big city. Of course, you have to keep your eyes open.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: That's bullshit! People get killed in Detroit all the time!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, sure. People get killed in U.S. cities all the time. But some neighborhoods are tight knit places with neighborhood watch meetings, e-mail listservs, lots of foot traffic.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But those are the exceptions! Detroit is VERY dangerous!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm not saying Detroit isn't dangerous. Any big city is. But what I'm saying is that Detroit is no more dangerous than any other big city.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But it is! It's super-dangerous. I hear gunfire all the time.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Wait a second. You HEAR gunfire? How much time have you spent in the city?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: You couldn't drag me into that shithole if you tried.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: So, you hate the city, refuse to go into it, and yet you feel you know enough about the city, more than my friends who live there, to tell me not to live there?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: Yes, absolutely. It's a shithole.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm sorry. I just don't find you to be a very reliable source for information.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But, gunfire ... crime ... gunfire ... crime ... [HEAD EXPLODES]
    In which barber shop did you hear all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What caliber were they?
    LOL - not sure, I couldn’t find the shell casings.

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    LOL - not sure, I couldn’t find the shell casings.
    Oh those are just firecrackers.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Oh those are just firecrackers.
    My favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    OUT-OF-TOWNER: I think I'd like to move to Detroit.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: What? Are you nuts? That place is a hellhole full of crime and gunfire!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, I have some friends there and they say it's no more dangerous than any big city. Of course, you have to keep your eyes open.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: That's bullshit! People get killed in Detroit all the time!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, sure. People get killed in U.S. cities all the time. But some neighborhoods are tight knit places with neighborhood watch meetings, e-mail listservs, lots of foot traffic.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But those are the exceptions! Detroit is VERY dangerous!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm not saying Detroit isn't dangerous. Any big city is. But what I'm saying is that Detroit is no more dangerous than any other big city.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But it is! It's super-dangerous. I hear gunfire all the time.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Wait a second. You HEAR gunfire? How much time have you spent in the city?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: You couldn't drag me into that shithole if you tried.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: So, you hate the city, refuse to go into it, and yet you feel you know enough about the city, more than my friends who live there, to tell me not to live there?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: Yes, absolutely. It's a shithole.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm sorry. I just don't find you to be a very reliable source for information.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But, gunfire ... crime ... gunfire ... crime ... [HEAD EXPLODES]
    This gets better and better each time you post it. Of course, it doesn't account for actual Detroit residents who go on and on about the crime in the city, gunshots, etc. - apparently its only suburbanites who hit your radar?

Hi all ---- It's me, the OP. Thanks for the open and candid responses. Actually, I've lived all over too, from NYC to LA to the Nasty 'Nati and now Chitown. All cities have their criminal issues, but hopefully they're isolated and becoming less frequent. We can all wish.

FYI - I can dig the city and high-rise living and a little bit of 'rat-a-tat-tat' is par for the course in big cities. But the ease of me getting out at 2am to walk the dog is the most important thing to me. That's why I'm probably defaulting to the burbs and a small backyard.

Y'all had some funny posts though. Make sure you guys go easy on each others' comments.... oh, and uh.... see you in da burbs!

Downtowners - remind me to buy you a beer, someday! Cheers...
    Last edited by Ford216; December-13-12 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford216 View Post
    Hi all ---- It's me, the OP. Thanks for the open and candid responses. Actually, I've lived all over too, from NYC to LA to the Nasty 'Nati and now Chitown. All cities have their criminal issues, but hopefully they're isolated and becoming less frequent. We can all wish.

FYI - I can dig the city and high-rise living and a little bit of 'rat-a-tat-tat' is par for the course in big cities. But the ease of me getting out at 2am to walk the dog is the most important thing to me. That's why I'm probably defaulting to the burbs and a small backyard.

Y'all had some funny posts though. Make sure you guys go easy on each others' comments.... oh, and uh.... see you in da burbs!

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    With regards to a pool, a cheaper option is the Boll Center YMCA, which is downtown. It's got a pool with dedicated lap lanes and a 1/4 mile track- it's a pretty nice facility in my opinion [[probably not as nice as teh DYC) and if you live downtown, very convenient.
    I love the Bolls Y, but as for parking, its not convenient at all. btw, what is that they are building across Grand River? A bigger parking lot?

You're better off buying this group valiums! There's an area called "Pleasant Ridge". It's a quaint area pocketed around I-696 & Woodward. The homes are older but well maintained. I have friends that live there. They have a nice, walkable, dog park. You're also close to Royal Oak, the night life, shopping, the Detroit Zoo, etc., things to do. You might want to check it out.

Curious: Does your handle have anything to do with your place of employment?

I think he will be working at a Ford asssembly plant, he does some consulting at the Ford Foundation, will volunteer at the Ford Hospital, he was once a patient of the Betty Ford clinic and so on and so forth 216 times...

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think he will be working at a Ford asssembly plant, he does some consulting at the Ford Foundation, will volunteer at the Ford Hospital, he was once a patient of the Betty Ford clinic and so on and so forth 216 times...
    I hope so......

DING...DING...DING...DING... WE HAVE A WINNER!

This just proves there are some smart people moving to the Detroit Area!

If you work in Dearborn, Westland has a lot of greenspace along the river to walk your dog and you will have a pleasant commute. Downtown Plymouth for Potemkin Village shopping and Westland Mall if you really want to buy something.

You might also want to check out the working class city of Hamtramck, which is a city inside a city, inside Detroit.

The city is extremely diverse with lots of restaurants and bars. But it's never been trendy for the well healed. Its more "underground" trendy. It has its own downtown. You could rent entire house for what you would pay for an apartment elsewhere. The last I looked, there was a gym on Joseph Campau.

We like to think of it as a gated community without the gate. :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3