Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ford216 View Post
    I don't need much, but I like get out and run or walk my pooch at various times during the day/night.
    Don't forget your body armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Just click your heels 3 times and repeat after me, there's no crime in Detroit, there's no crime in Detroit....."

Attachment 17407
    I knew my post would draw these kind of comments - I was very clear in my post to acknowledge the issues in Detroit: "Sure Detroit has problems" and "granted, not to the extent that it happens in Detroit". Does this sound like a person that thinks everything is rainbows and unicorns?

So click your heels [[3x) and repeat - Crime only happens in Detroit, crime only happens in Detroit….

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Sure Detroit has problems, but we're not alone, although these maps don't include shootings, I assure you gunfire happens in these cities too - granted, not to the extent that it happens in Detroit, but it does happen. Two years in the city and I've yet to hear a shot - so there are some safe areas in the city.

Six days in Miami:
    http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx...2-3f050ea76d8d

Six Day in Dallas:
    http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx...0-79c673c4dd5e

Six Days in Nashville:
    http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx...e-84b269d54586

Six Days in Anaheim:
    http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx...0-37d3dafef0ea
    What rock are you living under? 2 years in Detroit and you have not heard a gunshot I doubt that very much. I live in "safe" burb next the city and hear gunshots every night. Time to turn down the volume on your ipod and actually listen to what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't forget your body armor.
    For those of us who peel ourselves off the couch and lead active lives, I can say I have run [[and lived in) many places in the city with zero problems. This is not boosting, this is simply my experience. I have logged literally thousands of miles in the city over the years, zero problems. Maybe I'm just too fast!

I mostly run in East English Village nowadays where I often get delayed talking to my neighbors. I like to take a run down to the lake but running in GP makes me leery what with all the blue hairs that can't see over the steering wheel coming back from high tea at the War Memorial [[kidding - GP is pretty nice to run in).

If you like 1920s-1930s houses and a close-knit neighborhood in the city, think about East English Village. There are lots of other nice places to think about in the city, too.

My big issue is that we don't really have good places to run - no trails, or the like, even in GP - but I digress.

You can always run on Belle Isle, which is great. And to the first person who starts talking about bullets flying and other assorted nonsense on Belle Isle, may I preemptively say: go screw yourself fatty.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    What rock are you living under? 2 years in Detroit and you have not heard a gunshot I doubt that very much. I live in "safe" burb next the city and hear gunshots every night. Time to turn down the volume on your ipod and actually listen to what is going on.
    So I live under a rock!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    For those of us who peel ourselves off the couch and lead active lives, I can say I have run [[and lived in) many places in the city with zero problems. This is not boosting, this is simply my experience. I have logged literally thousands of miles in the city over the years, zero problems. Maybe I'm just too fast!

I mostly run in East English Village nowadays where I often get delayed talking to my neighbors. I like to take a run down to the lake but running in GP makes me leery what with all the blue hairs that can't see over the steering wheel coming back from high tea at the War Memorial [[kidding - GP is pretty nice to run in).

If you like 1920s-1930s houses and a close-knit neighborhood in the city, think about East English Village. There are lots of other nice places to think about in the city, too.

My big issue is that we don't really have good places to run - no trails, or the like, even in GP - but I digress.

You can always run on Belle Isle, which is great. And to the first person who starts talking about bullets flying and other assorted nonsense on Belle Isle, may I preemptively say: go screw yourself fatty.
    They say when you run, your blood starts pumping, oxygen starts flowing through your body and into your brain, giving you a euphoric "high". People that run a lot become addicted to this "high", and can't get enough, like druggies or alcoholics. Is that true? When you run, do you carry a fanny pack, or are you stripped down to the bare essentials, with just your car key or house key tucked in your wasteband? Runners seldom get mugged because they don't have anything of value on them, and they're moving. As far as Belle Isle goes, I love the place, have for years, and will always defend it. But I'm also a realist, and while I'm glued to my couch, I like to read online. Like about the 3 girls that suffocated the one girl in a pool of mud, and though arrested, got away scott-free, the usual shootings, and fights that take place when someone has a bit too much family reunion, finding decomposing bodies in the canoe pond and in the wooded areas, you know, things one might miss while being "in the zone", oblivious to what's going on around them. Congratulations on your successful, crime free existence, and wishing you many more years of trouble free workouts.

I live in Hamtramck and I never hear gunshots, only on gunshot "holidays".

My condolences for those people living in Detroit hearing gunshots every night. It's not as common as one might think, and certainly does not imply one lives under a rock.

I'm beginning to deduce it is an eastside thing [[or, at least, it's super popular on the eastside). I lived in worse parts of Detroit [[SW side, Cass Corridor) where I heard gunshots maybe a few times in my years living there. But as GPers and EEVers can attest, we hear them with regularity. The eastside has a deservedly rough reputation.

Then again, there was a lot more traffic noise and larger buildings where I lived before, so maybe they were just drowned out. I know gunfire is generally popular citywide.

I'm beginning to deduce it is an eastside thing [[or, at least, it's super popular on the eastside). I lived in worse parts of Detroit [[SW side, Cass Corridor) where I heard gunshots maybe a few times in my years living there. But as GPers and EEVers can attest, we hear them with regularity. The eastside has a deservedly rough reputation.

Then again, there was a lot more traffic noise and larger buildings where I lived before, so maybe they were just drowned out. I know gunfire is generally popular citywide.
    I would hear the gun shots once and awhile until this past spring. Since then its been very consistent and what is more unnerving is the occasional automatic gunfire that used to be only on the holidays. Its a bit quieter on my block we can hear the trains being switched on Conner a few miles away among other sounds of the city.

Here's the rub: most of the exciting, interesting and engaging places to live in the US have high property crime, homicide rates and an ineffective police force. i.e New Orleans, Memphis, Miami, Oakland, Baltimore etc. These are also culturally diverse places dealing with uncaring or unprofessional local government and crushing poverty in many cases. If you are in need of a constant feeling of security, there are thousands of places to live. You just may go mad from boredom.

i just moved here from Toronto after many visits and making sure it was for my family. I am beyond excited to get involved with my community and explore more than I have done thus far...

JVB Guest

The reason you hear more gunshots on the eastside is partly because there is a lot of vacant and open areas for guns to be fired recreationally. Most of the shots you hear aren't people being murdered [[although there is too much of that), but most of it is just young idiots shooting their guns off for fun. It's harder to get away with that in a more heavily populated area. On the westside though, you probably get a lot of that in Brightmoor since that is the closest thing to the abandonment of large parts of the eastside.

Quote Originally Posted by jayclarkreid View Post
    Here's the rub: most of the exciting, interesting and engaging places to live in the US have high property crime, homicide rates and an ineffective police force. i.e New Orleans, Memphis, Miami, Oakland, Baltimore etc. These are also culturally diverse places
    I've never heard Baltimore, Oakland and Memphis described as culturally diverse places, that's a new one. Meanwhile, you're moving away from Toronto, one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, with a much lower crime rate than the cities you listed.

Are you sure you just don't like drama?
    Last edited by JVB; December-13-12 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    The reason you hear more gunshots on the eastside is partly because there is a lot of vacant and open areas for guns to be fired recreationally. Most of the shots you hear aren't people being murdered [[although there is too much of that), but most of it is just young idiots shooting their guns off for fun. It's harder to get away with that in a more heavily populated area. On the westside though, you probably get a lot of that in Brightmoor since that is the closest thing to the abandonment of large parts of the eastside.

I've never heard Baltimore, Oakland and Memphis described as culturally diverse places, that's a new one. Meanwhile, you're moving away from Toronto, one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, with a much lower crime rate than the cities you listed.

Are you sure you just don't like drama?
    Although there is probably plenty of gunfire in the open areas on the eastside. Most of what I hear is not far from Mack Avenue in areas that are still fairly dense population wise. Also ask the GP police about the running gun battles along Mack this past summer. The police in GP are getting used to people shooting at them.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-13-12 at 01:55 PM.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I think I'd like to move to Detroit.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: What? Are you nuts? That place is a hellhole full of crime and gunfire!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, I have some friends there and they say it's no more dangerous than any big city. Of course, you have to keep your eyes open.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: That's bullshit! People get killed in Detroit all the time!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Well, sure. People get killed in U.S. cities all the time. But some neighborhoods are tight knit places with neighborhood watch meetings, e-mail listservs, lots of foot traffic.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But those are the exceptions! Detroit is VERY dangerous!

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm not saying Detroit isn't dangerous. Any big city is. But what I'm saying is that Detroit is no more dangerous than any other big city.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But it is! It's super-dangerous. I hear gunfire all the time.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: Wait a second. You HEAR gunfire? How much time have you spent in the city?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: You couldn't drag me into that shithole if you tried.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: So, you hate the city, refuse to go into it, and yet you feel you know enough about the city, more than my friends who live there, to tell me not to live there?

SUBURBAN DETROITER: Yes, absolutely. It's a shithole.

OUT-OF-TOWNER: I'm sorry. I just don't find you to be a very reliable source for information.

SUBURBAN DETROITER: But, gunfire ... crime ... gunfire ... crime ... [HEAD EXPLODES]

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    ...snip...[HEAD EXPLODES]
    In their defense, there have been more murders in Detroit in the last 10 years than US soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Not many cities can match that. Chicago maybe, but they've got 3x the population.

Although there is probably plenty of gunfire in the open areas on the eastside. Most of what I hear is not far from Mack Avenue in areas that are still fairly dense population wise. Also ask the GP police about the running gun battles along Mack this past summer. The police in GP are getting used to people shooting at them.
    Ok, Truth be told. Last spring, I went to visit a friend in Clarksville, [[Clarkston, home of "Made In Detroit"). He's done well and lives in a ritzy very wooded area. I was happy to get out of the City for an evening. We went for a "dog walk" in the wooded area by his home. It was early evening. I have NEVER heard so many gunshots in the City, sans New Years, as I heard that evening in Clarksville. All calibers, all types, and it was coming from all around us, near and far. Being out of my element, I was getting unerved by it, especially being in the woods, and you couldn't see where it was coming from. I have no doubt that in Detroit, like the night in Clarksville, it's guys trying out their new "toys". As another friend from the 'burbs said, as we listened to shots in Detroit, "you can't possibly own something like that and NOT want to shoot it off".

Could we PLEASE get back to the OP's query?

huh? Is that too much to ask? Or are you people going to mud wrestle this guy all the way to Birmingdale Heights?

I'd like to know what part of the city his job is located. If it is in Dearborn as I suspect from his nom de plume, he may want to consider Wyandote or even Trenton. Both have smallish downtowns, river access, low crime and affordable housing.

But mainly I would like to return to the main topic. No one has mentioned he should avoid anything owned by Dennis K. ... I don't have a current list of his slum dwellings, but I would bet someone does.

oh yeah, how big is this dog of his?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have no doubt that in Detroit, like the night in Clarksville, it's guys trying out their new "toys". As another friend from the 'burbs said, as we listened to shots in Detroit, "you can't possibly own something like that and NOT want to shoot it off".
    That's exactly right. We may or may not have used to do the same thing back in the 90's. Not that I would admit to it on a public forum of course.

Jeeze...Louise

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    In their defense, there have been more murders in Detroit in the last 10 years than US soldiers killed in Afghanistan. Not many cities can match that. Chicago maybe, but they've got 3x the population.
    Not in your defense, the death toll in Afghanistan is at least 10 times that, when you count all the brown people who died as a result of the longest war in American history -- and one of the stupidest.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Could we PLEASE get back to the OP's query?
    Which has more cachet? Staying in Detroit or staying Downriver?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Not in your defense, the death toll in Afghanistan is at least 10 times that, when you count all the brown people who died as a result of the longest war in American history -- and one of the stupidest.
    Agreed, and I'll never understand why Obama doubled down and sent more troops for such a pointless waste of human life.

Good Lord, someone from out of town posts a nice, positive message about moving to Detroit and asking for suggestions, and some people on this board can't wait to try to change his/her mind. What is that about? I've lived lived in Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis, and I've traveled across the country for business and I have never seen a group of people that go so far out of their way to get someone to stay away from their region.

Everyone knows there is crime in Detroit. The OP is moving here from Chicago, so I imagine that he/she won't be surprised by crime in a big city. No one is glossing over Detroit's issues, but why try to paint things in the worst light possible?

Some folks here see any sign of optimism and immediately spring into action to crush it before it grows and spreads. And if you don't think that attitude is not a big part of the lack of progress in this region, you haven't been paying attention.

Posted this on another thread, but FYI. Keep your eyes open when running in the GP too.

Thursday December 13th, 2012 :: 02:11 p.m. EST
    Armed Robbery just took place at Moran and Charlevoix, Grosse Pointe Farms while victim was jogging
    Armed Robbery just took place at North Bound Moran and Charlevoix, Grosse Pointe Farms,by two black males. Victim was jogging on Moran at the time of the robbery.
    Both subject were in their early 20’s thin and under 6’ tall.
    First suspect wearing a black hoodie, and had a black revolver.
    Second suspect wearing a black hoodie with a hat on and eye glasses on.
    Taken was a Blue 1g I-Pod shuffle with silver headphones by gunpoint and the victim was not injured.
    Both suspects were last seen on foot north bound on Moran.
    No vehicle was seen by the victim.

Information was belated to the Police Department by app 15 minutes.

Contact the Grosse Pointe Farms DPS if you have any information

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Good Lord, someone from out of town posts a nice, positive message about moving to Detroit and asking for suggestions, and some people on this board can't wait to try to change his/her mind. What is that about? I've lived lived in Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis, and I've traveled across the country for business and I have never seen a group of people that go so far out of their way to get someone to stay away from their region.

Everyone knows there is crime in Detroit. The OP is moving here from Chicago, so I imagine that he/she won't be surprised by crime in a big city. No one is glossing over Detroit's issues, but why try to paint things in the worst light possible?

Some folks here see any sign of optimism and immediately spring into action to crush it before it grows and spreads. And if you don't think that attitude is not a big part of the lack of progress in this region, you haven't been paying attention.
    Most responses from suburbanites I've met or work with were positive when I told them I lived in the city, but the vitriol from a significant percentage of them was mind-blowing to an outsider unfamiliar with the relationship between the city and the suburbs. And most had no idea what they were talking about* but boy, did they hate Detroit.

*Things like I won't be able to get groceries [[three grocers within 2 miles of me) or that I can't go downtown at after dark [[do it all the time).
    Last edited by TexasT; December-13-12 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Most responses from suburbanites I've met or work with were positive when I told them I lived in the city, but the vitriol from a significant percentage of them was mind-blowing to an outsider unfamiliar with the relationship between the city and the suburbs. And most had no idea what they were talking about* but boy, did they hate Detroit.
    It has distracted from the original point of the post, but it does have some relevance. The OP is learning our particular city-suburb dynamic. Unlike Chicago, where suburban residents will approve of you living in the city, in Detroit many suburban residents will reel back in horror. The sooner you realize this the better. It comes with the territory.

The one building I know downtown that has a gym, a pool and some of the other stuff is the Millinder Center. There's also a pool over at Lafayette Park, right? You might also consider a membership at the Detroit Yacht Club, where you can us the pool and other amenities.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast