It's been so long since I've posted to this forum. I have been living in NYC for the past five years.

An idea for Detroit came to me while thinking about the downtown area.

It seems that Detroit built the Chicago Loop downtown... for cars!

What if Detroit were to extend the Davison freeway from the Lodge to the Jeffries?

What if Detroit were to demolish the Lodge and Chrysler freeways south of the Ford freeway, including I375 and the M3 connector, and demolish the Fisher freeway east of the Rosa Parks Memorial Highway?

I75 between M8 and I94 would become I375. M8 will be signed from I96 to Mound Rd turning north on Mound Rd to 18 1/2 mile Rd and begin/end at the Van Dyke freeway. The freeway portion of M8 between the Jeffries and the Chrysler will become I75/M8. The interchanges between the Lodge and the Ford and the Chrysler and the Ford will be redesigned to reduce bottlenecking. The Lodge and the Chrysler south of I94 will become avenues. The Fisher freeway portion downtown and the M3 connector will be filled in and incorporated into the city grid.
The avenues will be narrower than the freeways they replace so fresh new development can be built for miles in each direction without having to deal with the slumlords.

The key point of this proposal is the extension of the Davison freeway. Without this extension the rest of the proposal is unfeasible.

There would be delays during rush hours between the combined I75 and I96 portions, but nothing on par with New York or LA traffic.