Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Many of the stores that are in Detroit cater towards the afrocentric.
    Well duh! What do you expect in a city that's 82% African American?

Yet, if I went to Livonia and complained about the many stores that cater towards the eurocentric, some folks would have a major hissy fit.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nd-grand-river

He just bought 1400 Woodward...home of Eastern Wig & Hair.

from the article:
    "The building at 1400 Woodward is located on one of thedowntown blocks that Gilbert, the founder and chairman of Rock Ventures LLC andQuicken Loans Inc., plans to transform with “core urban shopping,” such as homeretail, fashion and restaurants with his place-making plan."

I wonder how the wig shop fits into the retail plan. LOL.

It will fit perfectly into the master plan for Woodward. It is a beautiful building as well as the other turn of the century buildings that walled Woodward. I would love to see what will go into the Z parking building on Broadway. The fenced barrier was taken down yesterday that surrounded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...nd-grand-river

He just bought 1400 Woodward...home of Eastern Wig & Hair.

from the article:
    "The building at 1400 Woodward is located on one of thedowntown blocks that Gilbert, the founder and chairman of Rock Ventures LLC andQuicken Loans Inc., plans to transform with “core urban shopping,” such as homeretail, fashion and restaurants with his place-making plan."

I wonder how the wig shop fits into the retail plan. LOL.
    The Wig store is the longest lasting retail on Woodward in the CBD by far!

[QUOTE=DetroitPlanner;415866]The Wig store is the longest lasting retail on Woodward in the CBD by far![/QUOTE

Northland Mall was the beginning of the end of the downtown retail district. Hudson eventually closed it's downtown store and other retail soon to follow. The closing of the auto plants in the city compared to white flight then later middle class black flight had caused the downfall of the city.
    Coleman Young had tried saving the city and rightfully so the most fiscally responsible Mayor that the city had. He could not stop the sucking of businesses into the suburban vacumm. He and Mayors after him had been blamed for the demise of the city and its downtown retail district. They were left with a downward spiraling situation. Now that the city is on an upswing Duggan is going to take the credit

In all seriousness considering the wig store has lasted as long as it has there is definitely a market out there for wigs, weaves, extensions what have you. I know I don't shop there [[I get buzzed with the #2 every 4 weeks) but that does not mean that others don't. I know I work with some ladies whose hair changes quite a bit and I know they can't be growing a foot of hair overnight. That tells me that there is a market out there for this stuff.

What I find most interesting is this is a sign that Gilbert is upping his game when it comes to the retail buildings. Prior to this one, I can't think of one of his purchases that has had a long standing tenant in place already. Sure the Dime and 1001 did, but those are primarily office buildings, not retail.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-26-13 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In all seriousness considering the wig store has lasted as long as it has there is definitely a market out there for wigs, weaves, extensions what have you. I know I don't shop there [[I get buzzed with the #2 every 4 weeks) but that does not mean that others don't. I know I work with some ladies whose hair changes quite a bit and I know they can't be growing a foot of hair overnight. That tells me that there is a market out there for this stuff.

What I find most interesting is this is a sign that Gilbert is upping his game when it comes to the retail buildings. Prior to this one, I can't think of one of his purchases that has had a long standing tenant in place already. Sure the Dime and 1001 did, but those are primarily office buildings, not retail.
    Did he buy the [[former) Serman's building?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Yessir:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ng-store-which

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Serman's sold the building and closed shop at the same time. No tenant came with the building.

Kudos to Eastern Wig & Hair Company. As often as they get belittled on this forum, something positive should be said about a Detroit business that has weathered the storm. First off, Eastern Wig doesn't appeal to 50% of the population [[men), and yet they have survived. Secondly, as much as people on this forum complain about maintaining authentic Detroit stores in downtown, few have given Eastern Wig its due. A wig store is a "niche" business. The problem is that Eastern Wig doesn't appeal to most of the forumers on here. Should it have to?

I do hope that Gilbert allows Eastern Wig to stay where they are. That would be a surprise since most of Gilbert's endeavors appear to appeal to his employees: young, tech-savvy twenty-somethings. Well, we shall see.
    Last edited by royce; December-28-13 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Kudos to Eastern Wig & Hair Company. As often as they get belittled on this forum, something positive should be said about a Detroit business that has weathered the storm. First off, Eastern Wig doesn't appeal to 50% of the population [[men), and yet they have survived. Secondly, as much as people on this forum complain about maintaining authentic Detroit stores in downtown, few have given Eastern Wig its due. A wig store is a "niche" business. The problem is that Eastern Wig doesn't appeal to most of the forumers on here. Should it have to?

I do hope that Gilbert allows Eastern Wig to stay where they are. That would be a surprise since most of Gilbert's endeavors appear to appeal to his employees: young, tech-savvy twenty-somethings. Well, we shall see.

You touch on something there royce; not only authenticity but commercial relevance. I think of a lot of businesses in my city that have been able to survive all kinds of competition or sometimes attrition from careless city works projects. Interminable repairs on streets that need traffic often sound the death knell for small businesses in niche markets. I also hope that Gilbert will not try to "sanitize or hipsterize" the historically significant retail in his buildings.

A lot of shopping malls are doing just that; eliminating the less ritzy businesses from their premises and turn them over to more glamorous brand stores. I think Detroit needs to preserve what businesses are on the street, not chase them away; even if a little disneyfication is warranted in areas.

^^ Well said, royce.

May all 6 Check Cashing-Pay Day Loans businesses downtown thrive and prosper....

ErikD not everyone who lives or works downtown has or want a car to go shopping at a big box in the suburbs. As far as the provision of basic goods and services -- everyone needs those regardless of income level or geography. Everyone needs staple food items too like milk, eggs, soup, pasta. These are not so readily available at places like Eastern Market.

Your explanation that people who work downtown should go to the suburbs to buys stuff shows that you have no compassion for the poor or less mobile of society. "Let them eat cake"

FWIW Downtown is nowhere near what Birmingham or Grosse Pointe are in terms of wealth. At one time both of those downtowns had variety [[Dime) stores. Yes they were eventually replaced with other retail. Just because you open a store now does not guarantee that it will last. Retail changes and so do rents.

So you really want to waste a good portion of your non-work day driving to Fairlane Green to shop at Target? You say it is about 15 minutes. Okay there and back is probably 35 mins, walk from car to store and back, 5-10 mins, walk around store, 10 minutes, wait in line ten minutes. Thats 1.5 hours with gas wasted. Compare that with a quick jaunt during lunch to a place that never has a line. Which is better for Downtown's economy, the environment, your free-time? I'd go with the small store I can walk to and get out of quickly, that also provides employment downtown as well as adds to the sales per square foot.

Your opposition makes you sound like one of these racists nuts: http://blogs.ajc.com/business-beat/2...hwest-atlanta/
    I think you missed my point. We don't need big-box stores downtown. That's not to say that we don't need grocery staples downtown, but we already have them here. We don't just have Eastern Market, we also have CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Lafayette Foods, Honeybee, Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe, Whole Foods, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Harbortown Market, University Foods, Food Pride, and Papa Joe's on the way. All of these places are either downtown, or within a mile or two of downtown. They are just as accessible as any theoretical future big-box store located in the greater downtown area would be. I buy things like milk, eggs, soup, and pasta in and around downtown all the time. The assertion that these goods are not currently available is simply incorrect.

To your point of having more small stores downtown that cater to residents and workers traveling on foot, I completely agree. My argument is against having giant suburban-style big-box stores downtown. I fully support more downtown retailers who actually fit into a walkable urban setting.

I had noticed that you had mentioned "specialty clothing stores" and not clothing stores that caters to everyday consumers who are not into specialty shops. Detroit is still a retail desert when it comes to clothing and linen. Many Detroiters, while walking past these so called amenities find themselves shopping in the cookie cutter suburbs for basic needs such as linens, bathroom and kitchen accessories, and not so specialty clothing to wear. Nice try.
    The restaurant supply stores on Gratiot near Eastern Market are great places to buy kitchen goods. They have professional grade products at surprising low prices, and they are open to the public. The dollar stores are also good places to buy kitchen and bath accessories. I can't remember the last time I bought kitchen accessories at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond, other than appliances. I did buy a Crockpot at Target about six months ago, but I wouldn't go there for knives, spatulas, graters, pans, etc.

I will agree that Detroit is underserved as far as appliances go, but the proliferation of online shopping has made that not such a big deal. I bought my last two pairs of speakers, my last microwave, my last two TVs, and my last two computers online. The prices and selection tends to be better online, and they deliver right to your door. Also, how often do you buy appliances? It would be a bonus if there was a great place to buy microwaves and toasters downtown, but I only buy those kind of things once every few years, so it isn't a huge deal if it isn't right around the corner.

We could definitely use more clothing and linen stores in the downtown area, and these are the kind of places that I hope to see coming to the downtown area in the near future. Something like a City Target, or a collection of clothing and linen stores would be nice and work well here.

The couple that owns that place are ready to retire , they won't be opening , and they got a GOOD pay off ! :-)

Erik in post 364 you say you do not want big box stores downtown yet in post 365 you say you want a Target downtown. Granted a smaller Target, but isn't Target a big box?

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...city-ambitions

As the CBD's daytime and resident populations increase there will be plenty of people coming in to fill the void providing that the City can assure a decent level of security.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    The couple that owns that place are ready to retire , they won't be opening , and they got a GOOD pay off ! :-)
    Who had paid them off?

Erik in post 364 you say you do not want big box stores downtown yet in post 365 you say you want a Target downtown. Granted a smaller Target, but isn't Target a big box?

As the CBD's daytime and resident populations increase there will be plenty of people coming in to fill the void providing that the City can assure a decent level of security.
    I still say that Detroit have three strip malls where the big box stores could go. One strip mall, Jefferson Village, is practically empty with the potential of have two big box stores with plenty of parking in the mall. A city Target could open downtown or in the New Center One building. New Center One once had Crowley in it until 1999. City Target would bring the New Center area back as a retail/work/live/play destination.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    The restaurant supply stores on Gratiot near Eastern Market are great places to buy kitchen goods. They have professional grade products at surprising low prices, and they are open to the public. The dollar stores are also good places to buy kitchen and bath accessories. I can't remember the last time I bought kitchen accessories at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond, other than appliances. I did buy a Crockpot at Target about six months ago, but I wouldn't go there for knives, spatulas, graters, pans, etc.

I will agree that Detroit is underserved as far as appliances go, but the proliferation of online shopping has made that not such a big deal. I bought my last two pairs of speakers, my last microwave, my last two TVs, and my last two computers online. The prices and selection tends to be better online, and they deliver right to your door. Also, how often do you buy appliances? It would be a bonus if there was a great place to buy microwaves and toasters downtown, but I only buy those kind of things once every few years, so it isn't a huge deal if it isn't right around the corner.

We could definitely use more clothing and linen stores in the downtown area, and these are the kind of places that I hope to see coming to the downtown area in the near future. Something like a City Target, or a collection of clothing and linen stores would be nice and work well here.
    I had purchased pots and silverware from Peoples Restaurant Equipment as well erikd. However, not too many people know that consumers who are not restaurant owners could purchase kitchen wares from them. I get hand towels, wash cloths, and dish rags from Cheap Charlies. He doesn't carry bath towels.
    I don't mind warehouse stores such as these lining Gratiot from Downtown to Mt Elliot. Isnt there a plumbing supply store in the same area?

I still say that Detroit have three strip malls where the big box stores could go. One strip mall, Jefferson Village, is practically empty with the potential of have two big box stores with plenty of parking in the mall. A city Target could open downtown or in the New Center One building. New Center One once had Crowley in it until 1999. City Target would bring the New Center area back as a retail/work/live/play destination.
    What does any of this have to do with Dan Gilbert bringing retail to the CBD?

You know people have been saying that were getting downtown retail for pretty much 2 years non stop. In fact the first post on this thread says retail would be announced in January 2013, 1 year ago. Maybe Gilbert contacted retailers and they told him that they are not interested in urban markets. I still feel like this is just one big wet dream by yuppies and people that can't face the reality that Detroit is not just one big happy problem-free playground and in fact is a city that has major issues that need to be addressed before retail can succeed.
    Last edited by Ben; January-04-14 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I could see a CVS or something...
    LOL UHHHH...CVS is already down there. Shows how much you know. In fact, there's also one in the RenCen. 2 CVSs downtown!
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; January-04-14 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    LOL UHHHH...CVS is already down there. Shows how much you know. In fact, there's also one in the RenCen. 2 CVSs downtown!
    Sorry, I forgot there's a CVS downtown, but everything else I said is still valid.

I certainly do not want big box stores downtown, which is why a traditional big-box Target store would not be a good fit. However, the new "City Target" stores are smaller, and designed to fit into existing urban spaces.

For example, if they were to put a two-story City Target in the old Kresge storefront space on the 1200 block of Woodward, it could be really nice. I am not opposed to Target, per se, I am opposed to the idea of building a single-story suburban-style big-box store, surrounded by a sea of parking, in downtown.

It's about the form and function, not the store name on the sign. I have no problem with McDonalds and Burger King inside the RenCen, but I would be strongly opposed to them building a single-story drive-thru, surrounded by a parking lot, on the Hudson site.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast