Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    The Houston Hoppin Gators
    interestingly, i have a hoppin' gator specimen in my beer can collection in the basement!

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I am going out on a limb here. Either the makers of Colt 45 is attempting to attract a new younger group of drinkers by putting out flashing billboards with a old school pic of BDW or they are trying push their nasty product onto old hats like me who remember the old Billy Dee ads. I'm going with the latter because I believe no one is buying malt liquor like back in the day. I could be wrong. People could still be guzzling malt liquor like water but everytime I'm in the store buy an Heineken, I see people buying something like Milwaukee's Best or Bud or MGD. I don't see people buying Old English or Colt 45 like I used too [[through someone else of course. I wasn't 21 yet) and I used to drink Olde E religiously.

When I was 18, I discovered that young Whites didn't embrace malt liquor like young Blacks did. They were drinking Bud Light and they looked at me like I was nuts and that made me develop an attitude that if they won't touch it, why should I? 20 years later, that attitude hasn't allowed me to touch the poison. I would hope more like me developed that attitude which is why we see the old school BDW pics and "Works every time" slogan.

Coming soon to your neighborhood Billboards with 80's style images of Fred "Black Caesar" Williamson [[I know his nickname is Hammer but I'm was a fan of Tommy Gibbs) promoting King Cobra Malt Liquor and 90's images of a jheri curled Ice Cube drinking St. Ides.
    Funny, when I was a youngster I wanted to be cool so instead of drinking Bud Light I started drinking Mickey's Malt Liquor with the wide mouth bottle. Nevermind it tasted nasty. Youth and stupidity often go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Funny, when I was a youngster I wanted to be cool so instead of drinking Bud Light I started drinking Mickey's Malt Liquor with the wide mouth bottle. Nevermind it tasted nasty. Youth and stupidity often go hand in hand.
    That's hysterical..I did the same thing, though I actually sorta LIKED the taste of Mickey's..nowadays I'm a LaBatt & Guinness kinda guy, but I'm no snob..I'll drink a malt liquor if it's handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    So funny. Mickey!!! It was always the weakest of the malt liquors. You should have been drinking the "Olde Dawg" if you wanted to be cool. A joint and a 40 of Olde "E" and you were not only cool but somewhere stuck in the middle of BizarroWorld and Hell.

For the record, I hate anything Bud.

I ran across a billboard for Labatt Blue yesterday downtown. It said something about "Unmatched Refreshment". It didn't say anything about being an alcoholic beverage. It's amazing that theres so much clamoring about a Colt 45 ad, and none about a Labatt Blue ad. The self-created idea of 'racism' promoted by City Council just oozes paranoia.

And Bob, I'm white but I still tip a 40 every now and then. Maybe its because I grew up in the city?? I know that when I went to college, kids were drinking 40's and they weren't always black, so it's not a race thing. While these ads undoubtedly cater to black people [[on placement alone), malt liquor and 40 oz's are not strictly a 'black thing'.

Last edited by izzyindetroit; July-09-09 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENTROIT View Post
    I ran across a billboard for Labatt Blue yesterday downtown. It said something about "Unmatched Refreshment". It didn't say anything about being an alcoholic beverage. It's amazing that theres so much clamoring about a Colt 45 ad, and none about a Labatt Blue ad. The self-created idea of 'racism' promoted by City Council just oozes paranoia.

And Bob, I'm white but I still tip a 40 every now and then. Maybe its because I grew up in the city?? I know that when I went to college, kids were drinking 40's and they weren't always black, so it's not a race thing. While these ads undoubtedly cater to black people [[on placement alone), malt liquor and 40 oz's are not strictly a 'black thing'.
    I have to admit, I have not bought a 40 in probably 12/13 years. I switched to drink foreign beers and they didn't make it in a 40oz. Trust me, if Heineken were in a 40oz, I would have bought it so I had to set for the 25oz can which is fine.

As for the malt liquor and 40oz being a "Black thing" I would not say that but I would say that it has been stereotype to be a Black thing. The billboards issue is proof of that stereotype.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3