Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Heh heh. Boy what a thread.

1 - many fond memories of those billboards in they ghetto saying to "denounce the 40 ounce". Yeah right! Even with an unscrutinizing taste in suds, never cared much for colt 45.

2 - many fond memories of the M1911A Browning .45 cal. As a former "armorer" I say. The Glock 40 was interesting, light-weight, easily concealable, and rather smooth action. Just not quite enough knock-down [[and keep 'em down) power.

I'll take a cold brew over a bullet any day. Eh.

I think the only time I ever drank Colt 45 was when I was way underage, would probably drink anything, and had randoms outside High Pointe party store in GPP buy for us.
    'Works every time.' If works means 'gives you a nasty buzz, and an even nastier headache.'

Read Al Powell's book Message N A Bottle. He devotes an illuminating chapter on Colt 45, the aborted brand PowerMaster, and Billy Dee Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcanman55 View Post
    Glocks don't fall apart yeah right. That is one of the reasons we are getting rid of them. They are falling apart. They check our guns every range trip I have been for the last few years. That and S&W wants the leo market so they are doing 1 for 1 trades on the glocks.
    Talked to a couple Detroit cops today and asked them about the switch, they said basically the same thing. I couldn't believe it, thought Glocks were indestructible. According to an S&W rep I talked to a few months ago, he said they were offering a lifetime warranty on all their stuff ; pistols , rifles and shotguns. If it breaks send it to them and they'll repair for free.

Great now all Colt45 needs to do is put BDW BACK ON TV. Then my 85 yr old Dad will want some, Have me pick it up and then say "I wanted the Malt liquor in the little green bottles{Mickeys}".

BTW, and another thing who were the Houston Astros before they were the Astros?

9mile&seneca Guest

The Houston Hoppin Gators

The new malt liquor is teh Joose!

Joose is like cat piss in a can

I'm diggin this catpiss

purple dragon

actually it tastes more like koolaid

No hoppin gators, the Houston Colt .45's

Public Service Announcement:

Do NOT drink 2 cans of Joose in one evening.

That is all.

http://detnews.com/article/20090708/...r-City-Council

Apparently City Council is upset by the proliferation of Colt 45 billboards across the city. council Woman Martha Reeves is especially upset. Not due to the fact that the signs are allegedly marketing to only the inner city and inadvertently children since it has no mention that Colt 45 is alcohol. No, Councilwoman Martha Reeves said her beef is the way the cartoon ads portray Billy Dee Williams: "He's ugly."

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    http://detnews.com/article/20090708/...r-City-Council

Apparently City Council is upset by the proliferation of Colt 45 billboards across the city. council Woman Martha Reeves is especially upset. Not due to the fact that the signs are allegedly marketing to only the inner city and inadvertently children since it has no mention that Colt 45 is alcohol. No, Councilwoman Martha Reeves said her beef is the way the cartoon ads portray Billy Dee Williams: "He's ugly."

I can see their argument. They seem to have their media blitz centered within city limits, and they're everywhere. I don't see any influx of sales just cause Billy Dee's getting another check though.

I have a funny story about my husbands parents being called by the local police [[in the late 60's)and telling them their son had been caught with a Colt 45, needless to say when my father-in-law arrived at the police car and asked to see this colt 45 his son had and was shown the remainder of a six pack of beer he was more irate at the police for making him think his son had a gun, and really didn't care that he had been caught with beer.

I am going out on a limb here. Either the makers of Colt 45 is attempting to attract a new younger group of drinkers by putting out flashing billboards with a old school pic of BDW or they are trying push their nasty product onto old hats like me who remember the old Billy Dee ads. I'm going with the latter because I believe no one is buying malt liquor like back in the day. I could be wrong. People could still be guzzling malt liquor like water but everytime I'm in the store buy an Heineken, I see people buying something like Milwaukee's Best or Bud or MGD. I don't see people buying Old English or Colt 45 like I used too [[through someone else of course. I wasn't 21 yet) and I used to drink Olde E religiously.

When I was 18, I discovered that young Whites didn't embrace malt liquor like young Blacks did. They were drinking Bud Light and they looked at me like I was nuts and that made me develop an attitude that if they won't touch it, why should I? 20 years later, that attitude hasn't allowed me to touch the poison. I would hope more like me developed that attitude which is why we see the old school BDW pics and "Works every time" slogan.

Coming soon to your neighborhood Billboards with 80's style images of Fred "Black Caesar" Williamson [[I know his nickname is Hammer but I'm was a fan of Tommy Gibbs) promoting King Cobra Malt Liquor and 90's images of a jheri curled Ice Cube drinking St. Ides.

Not a beer drinker so I don't have much to say about that, but I am quite sure that Martha Reeves knows ugly when she sees it !

I really don't think Martha knows much let alone "ugly".

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boo Stinking Boo View Post
    What's up with the Colt 45 billboards around Detroit? And with the old school pic of Billy D. Williams at that!. I wish they would tear them down asap. Funny how you dont see them across 8 mile.
    if there were billboards north of 8 mile, then this would be on them.

Maybe we should ask our city leaders why they allow billboards in the first place....the suburbs have it right.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    Public Service Announcement:

Do NOT drink 2 cans of Joose in one evening.

That is all.
    why bring the joose in on this....the jooish people had nothing to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown diva View Post
    if there were billboards north of 8 mile, then this would be on them.

Maybe we should ask our city leaders why they allow billboards in the first place....the suburbs have it right.
    Sorry diva, but as much as I don't like them either the city leaders don't have the ability to banish billboards we don't like. That would be censorship and we can not have that. The billboards aren't in the suburbs because the majority White residents don't have a history with malt liquor. Blacks, sad to say do and "Works Every Time" is the phrase of the day.

I like to believe this is a desperate act by the makers of Colt 45 to promote their piss. I like to believe that Blacks has slowed the purchasing of malt liquor. Hopefully we don't have see any old school commericals of Colt 45 on television anytime soon.

Downtown diva Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Sorry diva, but as much as I don't like them either the city leaders don't have the ability to banish billboards we don't like. That would be censorship and we can not have that. The billboards aren't in the suburbs because the majority White residents don't have a history with malt liquor. Blacks, sad to say do and "Works Every Time" is the phrase of the day.

I like to believe this is a desperate act by the makers of Colt 45 to promote their piss. I like to believe that Blacks has slowed the purchasing of malt liquor. Hopefully we don't have see any old school commericals of Colt 45 on television anytime soon.
    what i meant is that if we dont want billboards like that then we shouldnt allow ANY bllboards...otherwise we have no autority to complain. the reason why suburbs like Bloomfield hlls and birmingham dont have thes ebillboards, is becasue they dont have ANY billboards.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX Doug View Post
    Colt .45 never went out of style..but a Glock 19 chambered for .40 is more politically correct these days.
    Always a good idea to carry what the local cops are carrying..
    G19 shoots 9mm [[as well as the G17, G18 full-auto, and G26); G22, G23, and G27 fire .40 cal in full-sized, compact, and sub-compact, respectively.

i roared when i saw one such billboard above an adult bookstore / adult movie joint. get rid of those billboards, right?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast