Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A few points I'd like to make about the absurdity known as the Councilwoman's demand:

1) The entitled, idiotic anger of her demand created such a backlash as to make it more difficult politically for the President to try to "help", if he were so inclined. Note, though, that there is no reason to believe he would be so inclined. No great urban policies came out of his first term.

2) The US Constitution clearly makes it Congress that can appropriate money. Much as he might want to, the President is not empowered to just give money away. He can spend what Congress allocates.

3) A loan to deal with your debt is similar to a shot of whiskey for your hangover.

4) I have said on this board for years that Detroit's money woes are only fixable in Detroit. Our decades of massive overspending must be curtailed. Modern, efficient, and honest business practices need to be put in place. True austerity. Many fewer programs, departments, employees, facilities, etc. For cities, just like individuals, no check is big enough to cover an eternity of irresponsibility.

Just declare war on the USA, surrender, then rake in the nation building/reconstruction bonanza.

JoAnn Watson is an idiot and so is anyone who voted this embarrassment in. City council is a joke. One way to begin turning this city around is to dissolve the entire council.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    A few points I'd like to make about the absurdity known as the Councilwoman's demand:

1) The entitled, idiotic anger of her demand created such a backlash as to make it more difficult politically for the President to try to "help", if he were so inclined. Note, though, that there is no reason to believe he would be so inclined. No great urban policies came out of his first term.

2) The US Constitution clearly makes it Congress that can appropriate money. Much as he might want to, the President is not empowered to just give money away. He can spend what Congress allocates.

3) A loan to deal with your debt is similar to a shot of whiskey for your hangover.

4) I have said on this board for years that Detroit's money woes are only fixable in Detroit. Our decades of massive overspending must be curtailed. Modern, efficient, and honest business practices need to be put in place. True austerity. Many fewer programs, departments, employees, facilities, etc. For cities, just like individuals, no check is big enough to cover an eternity of irresponsibility.
    Your post is "right on the money", so to speak. Had President Obama been properly approached, with some kind of tangible plan for repayment, maybe, just maybe, he would/could have somehow intervened. To grandstand on camera, and call out the President of the United States, for payment for your vote, it really leaves him no choice but to say no. Detroit needs good, serious leadership if it's going to turn itself around, that is the problem here.

JVB Guest

Detroit doesn't need a 9-member city council. 5 people is plenty and might prevent idiots like her getting into a position of power.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post

I think its pretty clear that Ms Watson doesn't understand what the President is about. Pres. Obama has said more than once that a "rising tide lifts all ships" in other words no massive bailouts for cities like Detroit which of course needs it but the Pres. understands that the entire economy needs to be fixed first. The economy being fixed will help lift Detroit and other big cities to a degree. Once that happens I'm sure Obama will be out of office and another president will have to deal with the dysfunction that is Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Detroit doesn't need a 9-member city council. 5 people is plenty and might prevent idiots like her getting into a position of power.
    No, it would just make the five more powerful. You should have a one hundred member council with their pay, entourages, and office expenses about 9/100s of the current members. Then Joann Watson becomes an insignificant back bencher howling at the moon.

"Joann Watson becomes an insignificant back bencher howling at the moon."

You can't believe the visions that conjures up.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    No, it would just make the five more powerful. You should have a one hundred member council with their pay, entourages, and office expenses about 9/100s of the current members. Then Joann Watson becomes an insignificant back bencher howling at the moon.
    Fair enough, but if a city of almost 2 million people had a 9-member council, a city of 700k can trim a lot of fat away.

Where's the recall petition for this idiot? It's not only embarrassing for the city for remarks like that, but as a fellow council member, I'd feel embarrassed as well. How can you take this women seriously? Where are the outraged Detroiters demanding her resignation?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Fair enough, but if a city of almost 2 million people had a 9-member council, a city of 700k can trim a lot of fat away.
    New Hampshire, with a total population of 1,320,000 has a House of Representatives with 400 members and less staff than the 9-member Detroit clownsil

JVB Guest

New Hampshire, with a total population of 1,320,000 has a House of Representatives with 400 members and less staff than the 9-member Detroit clownsil
    That is an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Where's the recall petition for this idiot? It's not only embarrassing for the city for remarks like that, but as a fellow council member, I'd feel embarrassed as well. How can you take this women seriously? Where are the outraged Detroiters demanding her resignation?
    If you watch the video, you'll hear a lot of "uh-huhs" of approval and head nods in the background.

The outraged Detroiters' voices are the ones drowned out by the incompetent FD-NC wackos that show up for every City Council meeting. Seriously, attend one; you won't need to pay for the circus the next time it comes into town!

Somebody's got to get her doughnuts. And everybody wonders what happens to Detroit's money, or they get upset when you call the Government incompetent.

Hey JoAnn ! President Obama was in town today ... did he bring that check ?????
    Yeah I didn't think so !

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Yeah I didn't think so !

I think she's @ recess........

Attachment 17353

Hardly. He was probably he hoping he did not run into the likes of her or any of the other 'peeps' in a one-on-one setting of accountability, sans security...... back up the steps of Air Force One!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Yeah I didn't think so !
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-10-12 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    How did she get that seat in the first place? That's the part I can't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    How did she get that seat in the first place? That's the part I can't understand.
    Turn up the volume, & watch the video clip about "the bacon". Listen to the voices of agreement, in the background, after she says it . There's your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Answer? An At Large voting system that favors name recognition and familiarity over all other factors. We get a list of 40 candidates and are told to choose 9, diluting much of the vote. Thankfully, with voting by district, that means she would have to actually run head-to-head against someone. I don't think she could survive that in any district.

How did she get in, how did Pugh get to be the Pres of the counsel? Why do you have to ask. Yes the counsel sessions are a zoo, and so are the meetings called in the neighborhoods. last one in my area had so many folks attending that didn't live in this area that I suspect they bring their own followers with them everywhere they go. They think they're rock stars instead of bottom feeders.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3