Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This is a private museum started and run by the Gilmore Family of Kalamazoo, a family with very deep pockets who controlled the City's largest department store as well as its television, radio, and newspapers.

The Gilmores are the only reason for the museum. Do you have a local Gilmore in mind to run this one? If Chrysler can't run a museum to explain its own heritage and keep it open, who else will?
    The Gilmore also has quite a bit of funding from Upjohn family members and residents in the area near the musuem. Gull Lake, where most of the contributors live has some the highest land values in the country.

I would like to put a challenge out! A museum everyone one here would like to have will ONLY come about with private funding. I have a very good friend who works as a fund raiser for a large charity who I could put the arm on to help, if any of you would like to put together a plan I think we could find the funding. Who is up for it??

The Upjohn Family was comingled with the Gilmores through a couple of marriages.

I don't know who else you can tap for it. It certainly seems Chrylser will be gunshy, maybe Matty?

In addition, you would need to be innovative, but not overly so. Autoworld failed because it was not quite a museum and not quite an indoor amusement park. It sure was interesting, but it was not enough to draw either hardcore car enthusiests or amusement park afficionados.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-01-12 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Upjohn Family was comingled with the Gilmores through a couple of marriages.

I don't know who else you can tap for it. It certainly seems Chrylser will be gunshy, maybe Matty?

In addition, you would need to be innovative, but not overly so. Autoworld failed because it was not quite a museum and not quite an indoor amusement park. It sure was interesting, but it was not enough to draw either hardcore car enthusiests or amusement park afficionados.
    Looks like Chrysler does not want to be in the Museum business. I have other sources I would talk to, one with pockets as deep as Matty's and my friend has the magic touch when it comes to relieving reluctant donors of their money. Innovative would be an understatement but there are several very good sites already around the area. I am putting it out there, its not something that can be done by one person. I did have a feeling that there would be a bit of apathy with this suggestion. The way I look at it is there is no harm in coming up with a plan, especially when there are quite a few on here who find the idea interesting!

How about using the "Train Station" as a Big 3 museum?

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    How about using the "Train Station" as a Big 3 museum?
    As cool as the train station would be I think the size of the building would be a problem, but the bigger problem is of course the owner!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    As cool as the train station would be I think the size of the building would be a problem, but the bigger problem is of course the owner!
    How about moving Chrysler World Headquarters there, just kidding I know that will NEVER happen.

Today's Business section had a story about the MERGER of the Chrysler foundation with the museum. There was nothing in there about the museum closing.

THe Gilmore museum also has done a great job of getting hearts and minds of some affluent benefactors to contribute to the cause. There are new structures there that were gifts from several prominent collectors. Chrysler never really understood or got that far. To be faid, they didn't have that much time to cultivate those relationships, the Gilmore has been around for 40+ years, and has the Gilmore family and Bill Parfet as major supporters. The Gilmore is a first-class facility, I have participated in many shows there.

Last day for the Chrysler Museum!!!

Tom Walsh: Where's Detroit's world-class auto tourist attraction?
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312300216
    Last edited by Kathleen; December-30-12 at 07:09 PM.

It was well worth changing our plans to spend a few hours at the Chrysler Museum this afternoon!! There was a good crowd on hand to send the Museum out on a high note! And it was beautifully dressed with Christmas trees, fashions of the day, and historic photos depicting each time period.

Very sad to see this beautiful museum close. It truly was a classy place, with exhibits fully documented and in logical progression. One of the best auto museums around!!!

In talking to one of the longtime volunteers, we found out that the cars will be moved out of the building by March and stored in a warehouse. The building is to be renovated for another use with office space, etc. Such a shame!!!

Hello Kathleen:

Yes, it was well worth it to go for one last time – glad my wife and I made the trip this afternoon.

By the way, those nostalgic Christmas tree displays, the fashions and documented exhibits you admired were done by “56Packman” when he worked there as a curator several years ago. He is the one to thank.

Still, sad to see it close.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Last day for the Chrysler Museum!!!

Tom Walsh: Where's Detroit's world-class auto tourist attraction?
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312300216
    I can answer Mr. Walsh's question. No where. Because it's a stupid idea that wouldn't attract all that many people.

When are these old farts going to get over the obsession with the auto industry? Yeah, we're all glad they're doing well, but it's 2012 - isn't about damn time we focus more on diversifying our economy than slavishly devoting ourselves to one volatile industry, one which easily sheds jobs and outsources?

http://www.hamtramckreview.com/2011/...maining-plant/

How is this garbage worth perusing, let alone celebrating?

Unless you're rich, cars are primarily three things:
    1) a way to get from point A to point B
    2) expensive
    3) a pain in the ass, especially when you're forced to rely on it to get most places [[if are reading this and live in Metro Detroit, you do)

I mean, yeah, I like having a car. I also like having a toilet. I don't have any desire to work in the toilet industry or go to a toilet museum, though.

Chicago was once the meatpacking capitol of the world, and I don't see anyone there whining about a meatpacking museum. They worry about other shit there.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I can answer Mr. Walsh's question. No where. Because it's a stupid idea that wouldn't attract all that many people.

When are these old farts going to get over the obsession with the auto industry? Yeah, we're all glad they're doing well, but it's 2012 - isn't about damn time we focus more on diversifying our economy than slavishly devoting ourselves to one volatile industry, one which easily sheds jobs and outsources?

http://www.hamtramckreview.com/2011/...maining-plant/

How is this garbage worth perusing, let alone celebrating?

Unless you're rich, cars are primarily three things:
    1) a way to get from point A to point B
    2) expensive
    3) a pain in the ass, especially when you're forced to rely on it to get most places [[if are reading this and live in Metro Detroit, you do)

I mean, yeah, I like having a car. I also like having a toilet. I don't have any desire to work in the toilet industry or go to a toilet museum, though.

Chicago was once the meatpacking capitol of the world, and I don't see anyone there whining about a meatpacking museum. They worry about other shit there.
    Poobert... you just gave a combined Straw Man and Red Herring logic fallacy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl48A9Y5ls8

Therefore your argument in post #62 has no basis in logic...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-31-12 at 01:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3