Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    And Contact House Democratic Leader Richard E Hammell [[regardless of where your district is) and urge support for House Bill 909 regardless of how the Right to Work bill ends up.

Mailing Address
    P.O. Box 30014
    Lansing, MI 48909-7514
    Phone: [[517) 373-7557
    Fax: [[517) 373-5953
    Toll-Free
    [[888) 347-8048
    Email
    richardhammel@house.mi.gov
    Done. Wrote my local rep as well. Thanks.

I see I'm not the only one to have a "Blazing Saddles" flashback while I watched the Democrats sit out the committee vote yesterday. The headlines and editorial leads just write themselves:

Dems Throw Transit Riders Under the Bus in Union Protest

Dems Channel John Engler, Kill Regional Transit in Tantrum

The Democratic Party showed how much it cares about the middle class, but only if they pay union dues . Lower-class workers who ride the bus and don't make campaign contributions? Screw `em.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    You're not? Your elected officials are holding hostage a critical piece of legislation that could literally set the lynchpin for transit-oriented development in SE Michigan over the next thirty years.

RTW is not a knee-jerk reaction; in fact, polls show that it has more support in Michigan than several of the ballot initiatives we voted on in November. Dems blocking this effort is purely, utterly political in nature, and despite my own left-leaning tendencies, I shake my clenched fist at them.

It's like saying "I don't blame Iranian revolutionaries for storming the US Embassy and holding them hostage for 444 days. It's that damn Shah causing all this mess!!"

You know what they say about two wrongs....
    Yoou go take that and blame house Republicans. They have a 64-46 majority, right now. This thing isn't contigent upon Democratic support. You go complain to Bolger about the Republicans that helped vote this thing down. You don't go poison the well, and then blame the thirsty for not drinking from it. You don't go whipping up a partisan frenzy in the middle of an important session challenging the very future electoral existence of the other party, and then expect them to play ball in a newly rigged game.

Tell Bolger to go whip up 56 votes with his 64 majority.
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-06-12 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Yoou go take that and blame house Republicans. They have a 64-46 majority, right now. This thing isn't contigent upon Democratic support. You go complain to Bolger about the Republicans that helped vote this thing down. You don't go poison the well, and then blame the thirsty for not drinking from it. You don't go whipping up a partisan frenzy in the middle of an important session challenging the very future electoral existence of the other party, and then expect them to play ball in a newly rigged game.

Tell Bolger to go whip up 56 votes with his 64 majority.
    So you want me to blame this on eight Republican representatives with clearly-defined reasons for opposition [[since they're not siding with their party), versus blaming it on FORTY-SIX people that have admittedly turned this into a political football game and will kick and scream and whine if they don't get their way?

Sorry, not buying it.

so.. does the phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" have validity here? we'll see..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so.. does the phrase "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" have validity here? we'll see..
    This is another way of saying the same thing.Name:  National-Lampoon.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  38.1 KB

This from the Michigan GOP's Communications department re; the RTA legislation:

Gideon D'Assandro
    @GideonD

Just put it back on the board, won few more votes. Dems still voted no, including outspoken supporters, and we didn't get there

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Today is the day. If the GOP is stupid enough to pull the trigger on RTW, this state's already dysfunctional politics will descend into hellfire until the 2014 gubernatorial elections. Except recalls and complete dropping of already flimsy cooperation in the body.

I'm not going to blame the Dems on this. The GOP takes the last month of the session to insert some hyper-partisan and hyper-divisive bull no one but their corporate overlords have been angling for endangering whatever little spirit of compromise was left in the government. Rick needs to come out and say he'll veto this or sign this, but he can't even keep his own crazies in check.

Ridiculous. If Bolger isn't taken down by the grand jury, you better believe his immature ass is getting recalled for this stunt.
    RTW has a decent amount of support, 54%. The recent EPIC-MRA poll even showed 40% of Democrats supported RTW. That's a pretty high number for support of a "corporate overlord" policy. I've even heard support levels for RTW in the 30's% in union households.

This whole thing probably wouldn't have happened if the unions and the Dems hadn't pushed Prop 2 on the state. That overreach set this countermeasure into action.

Dollars to donuts Snyder's RTW signature will be/is contingent on Bolger getting the RTA through.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    This from the Michigan GOP's Communications department re; the RTA legislation:

Gideon D'Assandro
    @GideonD

Just put it back on the board, won few more votes. Dems still voted no, including outspoken supporters, and we didn't get there
    So that's it?

It's dead?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    So that's it?

It's dead?
    I think they will keep working the no votes. They didn't finish the voting.

From Crains' @ChrisGautz:
    "It was a real vote, but when they were short of votes, they cleared the board,
    giving them ability to try again later."
    Last edited by TexasT; December-06-12 at 01:31 PM.

First,

Gideon D'Assandro ‏@GideonD
    Keep talking to the 'no' votes. See if the Dems are willing to come back to the table.

so I said....
    Do you have a rundown of the Republicans voting no? Names, Gideon. I want NAMES!

...but then....

Gideon D'Assandro@GideonD
    Sorry, no, they kicked us off the floor because of the union folks bum rushing the Senate chambers. Didn't see the board.

Also:

House is livestreaming the session. Next time it comes up, the board gets put on screen during the vote.

According to Tim Skubick, the new bridge might be held hostage by Washington pending the outcome of the RTW bill.

Just emailed all of the house democrats. THEY BETTER VOTE THIS THROUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    According to Tim Skubick, the new bridge might be held hostage by Washington pending the outcome of the RTW bill.
    HAHAHAHA.

I am in favor of both the RTA and the new bridge.

But it is something watching people think you can play with fire and not get burned.

This is IMNO Snyder's first absolute bonehead fuckup.

And it could have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I don't understand...what is the connection?

Some of you people are way off-beam.

Open shop states are poorer and have a worse record of companies locating there. Close shop states, the opposite.

You want to get an RTA so bad that you have to give up your car to ride the bus? Jesus...

According to Gideon D'Assandro's tweet to me states, "The first bill of SB 909 has passed, 57-50."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Some of you people are way off-beam.

Open shop states are poorer and have a worse record of companies locating there. Close shop states, the opposite.

You want to get an RTA so bad that you have to give up your car to ride the bus? Jesus...
    Not necessarily, I just don't understand how sacrificing the RTA gives the Dems any leverage against right-to-work. If you or anyone else can explain that, I'm interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    according to gideon d'assandro's tweet to me states, "the first bill of sb 909 has passed, 57-50."
    wahooo!!!!!! Is it going to the Governor's desk now? Or to the senate for reconciliation? [[Did they amend the bill?)

According to Gideon D'Assandro's tweet to me states, "The first bill of SB 909 has passed, 57-50."
    Yup, just got two Facebook updates, one from a friend and the other The Craig Fahle Show, that it passed by this very narrow margin. I will be very disappointed if my Democratic rep voted no. I e-mailed him to vote yes, will e-mail him again if I see his name on the 'no' list.

The CFS status raised a good question, will it go to the Gov if no Dems supported it? I think he will sign it because it's something he wants as well.

according to gideon d'assandro's tweet to me states, "the first bill of sb 909 has passed, 57-50."
    wooooo!!!!!!

8======D

giant boners for everyone, we might finally be growing up as a region!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    8======D

giant boners for everyone, we might finally be growing up as a region!!
    Let's hold off on the boners until Ricky puts pen to paper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast