I received a notice in the mail from the City of Detroit's finance department notifying me that I did not file an income tax return with them two times in the past 5 years [[I live and work in the city of Detroit--don't even get me started on having to pay property tax AND income tax in a city where I don't even get the basic services that are a given in just about any other city. But I digress.). Three issues I have with this letter:
1. First of all, the reason I didn't file a return is because the city actually owed me a scant amount of money, and I thought I would give them a break. But I'll be sure to demand my money now.
2. The much bigger issue: the assessment they've given me for the two years, which "is based on income tax information provided by the State of MI and/or the Internal Revenue Service," is actually WRONG for both years. They say that I made more money than I actually did.
3. Additionally, they also fail to state how much money my employer withheld during the year to the city of Detroit on my paychecks. So, for example, on the year where they actually owe me $4, they claim I owe them over
$3000 [[plus additional money in penalties and interest). Great record keeping, City of Detroit!

Anybody else get such a letter in the mail? The timing of this seems like a desperate money grab by the city. I hope they go after all those slumlords who don’t even pay their property taxes like they went after me.