Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    Yes, my point exactly. you will not build such a thing in Birmingham or West Bloomfield. When they build commercial/residential projects it will DEFINITELY includes lush-langscaping, exterior lighting, benches, trash cans etc.
    If you want "lush landscaping" to surround new construction in Detroit, then you basically want suburbia.

You will never get a transit and pedestian-friendly environment with that kind of drive-by, low density aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If you want "lush landscaping" to surround new construction in Detroit, then you basically want suburbia.

You will never get a transit and pedestian-friendly environment with that kind of drive-by, low density aesthetic.
    Not exactly... maybe not the entire city... but it's a start...
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/developme...dtownloop.aspx
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/m...oop041310.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You know whats funny about this, The Auburn is directly along the Midtown Loop, but there isn't any landscaping. Woodward ave in Midtown is a GREAT example of what I'm talking about, it need to be applied along other main streets.

You do know that they just finished the Auburn, right? Maybe they have not done the landscaping element yet as the winter months are upon us, they might be waiting til warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    You do know that they just finished the Auburn, right? Maybe they have not done the landscaping element yet as the winter months are upon us, they might be waiting til warmer weather.
    Wishful thinking..hope so. I just want to see the best out of new development, it's can be better. The little things does matter..

The entrance to the Alexandrine Station on the Magic Choo Choo up Woodward:

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The entrance to the Alexandrine Station on the Magic Choo Choo up Woodward:

I think it needs either a coffee shop or a bar. Maybe a high-end cufflink store!

No, how about these great exmaple, I need to call Greening Of Detroit lol: All picture are from urban transit-oriented cities

No, how about these great exmaple, I need to call Greening Of Detroit lol: All picture are from urban transit-oriented cities

Which of those photos shows a downtown with commercial activity?

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    Which of those photos shows a downtown with commercial activity?
    We're not speaking of downtown, it's about Detroit as a whole. Like I said, Woodward Ave in Midtown is a great example of good aesthetic for the city. It's tree-lined, has bus shelters, bike racks, trash receptacles, well lit, way-finders, pedestrian-friendly businesses, outdoor seating in the summer time, foot traffic etc...lots of commercial activities.

We're not speaking of downtown, it's about Detroit as a whole.
    Detroit does not have one consistent land use, or one consistent density. Trying to apply your position to the whole city is incredibly vague.

Specifically where are more bike racks, trees, lights, signs, and bus shelters needed?

How many of each?

More importantly, for each one, what entity would be responsible for providing and maintaining them?

We're not speaking of downtown, it's about Detroit as a whole.
    Yet, at the same time, every single one of your posts are downtown-centric, the rest of the city be damned.

Detroit does not have one consistent land use, or one consistent density. Trying to apply your position to the whole city is incredibly vague.

Specifically where are more bike racks, trees, lights, signs, and bus shelters needed?

How many of each?

More importantly, for each one, what entity would be responsible for providing and maintaining them?
    Of course in stable neighborhoods or the ones that can be saved. Why would I make such investment in a neighborhood looking like a war zone? The Woodward ave streetscape can be applied to some parts of Grand River, Michigan Ave, Gratiot, Cass Ave, Second and Third Ave..7-mile etc. Put in place something like "Clean Downtown" to maintain it or business's, citizen in the area to chip in. A number of neighbors and I maintain a lot in our neighborhood, we walk 3-4 blocks each way and pick of trash, made benches..etc. It's not that hard..some Detroiter's do have pride where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yet, at the same time, every single one of your posts are downtown-centric, the rest of the city be damned.
    Midtown is clearly outside of downtown, which most of my example are.

Midtown is clearly outside of downtown, which most of my example are.
    Fine, the GREATER downtown area, a Whopping 5 square miles and 2% of the city's total population.

Of course in stable neighborhoods or the ones that can be saved. Why would I make such investment in a neighborhood looking like a war zone? The Woodward ave streetscape can be applied to some parts of Grand River, Michigan Ave, Gratiot, Cass Ave, Second and Third Ave..7-mile etc. Put in place something like "Clean Downtown" to maintain it or business's, citizen in the area to chip in. A number of neighbors and I maintain a lot in our neighborhood, we walk 3-4 blocks each way and pick of trash, made benches..etc. It's not that hard..some Detroiter's do have pride where they live.
    You are presenting a classic case of 'they should do something about that', without showing any evidence that you understand who 'they' is, or what would satisfy you if 'they' did it..

You are presenting a classic case of 'they should do something about that', without showing any evidence that you understand who 'they' is, or what would satisfy you if 'they' did it..
    "They" is you and me...EVERYBODY. If I could name all 700,000 or more I would. Why dispute that we all guilty on so many levels, we all need to help out, ALL. If that's not clear enough..

"They" is you and me...EVERYBODY. If I could name all 700,000 or more I would. Why dispute that we all guilty on so many levels, we all need to help out, ALL. If that's not clear enough..
    ok. I will buy enough bike racks for the entire city if you buy the garbage cans and promise to empty them regularly. How many bike racks do I need to get?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Fine, the GREATER downtown area, a Whopping 5 square miles and 2% of the city's total population.
    My point exactly, isn't their a problem that only 2% of the city has good aesthetics? So I showed examples of what the rest of the city should be, so whats your point. There are other great neighborhoods that deserves the same treatment as Woodward Ave in Midtown, it shouldn't be the ONLY area with good aesthetics.

ok. I will buy enough bike racks for the entire city if you buy the garbage cans and promise to empty them regularly. How many bike racks do I need to get?
    Ok I'm down..I have done it plenty of times. I regularly clean my city throughout year round..

Yeah I agree. I think in a lot of areas the sidewalks need to be wider, and trees need to be planted. The crumbling dirty pavement needs to be replaced, ideally with some nice pavers. And the rusted out partially scrapped streetlights need to be replaced.

In Copenhagen street lights are suspended over the street by wires attached to the buildings, and poles are only used when there isn't a suitable facade. Now Detroit doesn't really have enough continuous building facades to do that in most areas, but in general the street clutter needs to be tidied up. Utility boxes need to be buried, signage needs to be consolidated onto fewer poles, etc.

There are a lot of really strange and complicated intersections that need to be simplified as well.

Buildings are only part of the built environment. The street needs to be designed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Yeah I agree. I think in a lot of areas the sidewalks need to be wider, and trees need to be planted. The crumbling dirty pavement needs to be replaced, ideally with some nice pavers. And the rusted out partially scrapped streetlights need to be replaced.

In Copenhagen street lights are suspended over the street by wires attached to the buildings, and poles are only used when there isn't a suitable facade. Now Detroit doesn't really have enough continuous building facades to do that in most areas, but in general the street clutter needs to be tidied up. Utility boxes need to be buried, signage needs to be consolidated onto fewer poles, etc.

There are a lot of really strange and complicated intersections that need to be simplified as well.

Buildings are only part of the built environment. The street needs to be designed as well.
    Yeah, they should do something about that. Or we should do something about that. Or you should do something about that. Definitely.

Which intersection is the strangest and most complicated?

DUH!!!! *I* should do something about that!! Clearly!

I have no idea where the ridiculous and bizarre idea that if something is wrong and you're not personally fixing it then you don't have the right to speak about it.

It's one thing for someone to mow the grass on the empty lot next door or to pick up trash.

But it's not reasonable for someone to buy and renovate abandoned buildings downtown [["don't like that abandoned midrise?? Well why don't YOU renovate it!?!"). It's true that some people's financial situations allow them to do things like that, but most people wouldn't even afford a single unit in one of those buildings much less afford to renovate it.

But it's completely unreasonable to drag that argument out for streetscaping projects and traffic engineering. No, replacing rusted out streetlights is not me or we. It is they. That's the city's job or maybe the city and developer's job in some cases.

It's not hard to find weird intersections and streets in Detroit. The whole area of West Grand Boulevard, 96, Grand River, Tireman and Scotten is crazy. Then there's the random half mile stretch of West Grand Boulevard that has that "service drive". Or The intersection of Grand River, MLK, and Trumble which interestingly enough was planned to be replaced by a traffic circle in the early 1900s. Jefferson Avenue downtown is a complete zoo. West Grand Boulevard in SW Detroit changes form every few blocks in response to apparently nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    DUH!!!! *I* should do something about that!! Clearly!

I have no idea where the ridiculous and bizarre idea that if something is wrong and you're not personally fixing it then you don't have the right to speak about it.

It's one thing for someone to mow the grass on the empty lot next door or to pick up trash.

But it's not reasonable for someone to buy and renovate abandoned buildings downtown [["don't like that abandoned midrise?? Well why don't YOU renovate it!?!"). It's true that some people's financial situations allow them to do things like that, but most people wouldn't even afford a single unit in one of those buildings much less afford to renovate it.

But it's completely unreasonable to drag that argument out for streetscaping projects and traffic engineering. No, replacing rusted out streetlights is not me or we. It is they. That's the city's job or maybe the city and developer's job in some cases.

It's not hard to find weird intersections and streets in Detroit. The whole area of West Grand Boulevard, 96, Grand River, Tireman and Scotten is crazy. Then there's the random half mile stretch of West Grand Boulevard that has that "service drive". Or The intersection of Grand River, MLK, and Trumble which interestingly enough was planned to be replaced by a traffic circle in the early 1900s. Jefferson Avenue downtown is a complete zoo. West Grand Boulevard in SW Detroit changes form every few blocks in response to apparently nothing.
    Yes, I tried to stress the same scenario to "48202", it doesn't matter who, you, I,..."ALL" should do their part diligently, where fit. Why does it matter who gets it done, just get it done. By all means necessary, siting around complaining wont help either. Do your part..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast