Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    No, it doesn't sound low. I don't know if you've noticed, but the city has a bunch of land that NOBODY wants.

This objection reminds me of Pontiac effing up its chance to sell the Silverdome; Detroit will probably screw this up, too.
    EXACTLY! 40 years from now, that land will still be sitting there vacant, sans the few people that still remain in that neighborhood. [["you don't know that"), That's right, but it's an educated guess.

Shollin Guest

People are saying they are likely not going to get a higher offer, but they're not likely to get a lower offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    People are saying they are likely not going to get a higher offer, but they're not likely to get a lower offer.
    I agree they're not likely to get a higher offer. If I were him, I'd wait a year and offer less.

Land [[like most things) is only worth what someone will pay for it. The members of the clowncil should be required to take econ 101.

They want to put a tree farm ,the orchards vegetables plan was scrapped,it is kinda the city councils duty to look into the future and not base everything on what is happening in the here and now ,to do so would be saying the city will never move forward.

Is it bad as a tree farm? Well it is a common way to acquire land for future development,buy the land and plant trees or throw some cows on it and use the lower agriculture tax rate which is next to nothing harvest the trees to cover the costs until the value increases then develop it,cities and business think long term.

If one thinks the city is never going to increase and get worse to the point where there is one person living there then it would be a good deal because the city is needing the funds,but 15 years down the road and a developer says this would make a nice subdivision it will be easy to have it rezoned back because the dollar signs will be there once again.

So bottom line would be would you feel comfortable with the long term plans of selling the land now so they can profit nicely later or is it better for the city to retain the land now for future use,who is going to be the speculator the city or the private individual.

I agree there is no difference between a farm and a factory. I would rather have a factory that would at least employee a couple hundred people at livable wages, however factories are taboo around these parts now.
    Factories are taboo because the companies have decided to move them elsewhere in order to make more money. The unskilled/skilled labor is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They want to put a tree farm ,the orchards vegetables plan was scrapped,it is kinda the city councils duty to look into the future and not base everything on what is happening in the here and now ,to do so would be saying the city will never move forward.

Is it bad as a tree farm? Well it is a common way to acquire land for future development,buy the land and plant trees or throw some cows on it and use the lower agriculture tax rate which is next to nothing harvest the trees to cover the costs until the value increases then develop it,cities and business think long term.

If one thinks the city is never going to increase and get worse to the point where there is one person living there then it would be a good deal because the city is needing the funds,but 15 years down the road and a developer says this would make a nice subdivision it will be easy to have it rezoned back because the dollar signs will be there once again.

So bottom line would be would you feel comfortable with the long term plans of selling the land now so they can profit nicely later or is it better for the city to retain the land now for future use,who is going to be the speculator the city or the private individual.
    My personal thoughts are I've been hearing this "Some day, you watch..." for a good 50 years now, and I don't see much happening as far as a land rush for developing. In fact, I'll say it just keeps getting worse. [[can we please leave Gilbert and the Midtown Pop-ups out of it for the moment?) Let's say it comes to pass that people swarm back into Detroit and start throwing money @ it, and some guy somewhere does start building McMansions on this property and makes the proverbial "killing'. The McMansions are going to need water, electricity, police, DFD, etc., and are going to be paying taxes. So the City will benefit. I think this is pie-in- the-sky hopeful speculation is what's holding the City @ bay from becoming functional. Currently City services are almost non-existant or disfunctional @ best, more tax paying residents are becoming disillusioned, and you're losing more tax base. But "you watch, some day...." Maybe the council needs to wipe down that crystal ball?

Delayed. Just fucking do something you fatasses! Get SOMETHING accomplished. Stop stonewalling and delaying EVERYTHING.

"This seems like a short sale," Kenyatta said. "This city is pregnant with possibility."

Oh, really, other Kwame? And are you pregnant with parasitic worms that have eaten your pea-sized brain, asshole? You old sack of shit, in case you haven't noticed, it isn't 1940 anymore. Have you seen the eastside? You couldnt pay me to buy the eastside, and I live on the eastside. Better a short sale than just walking away - like you did with your former home in Russell Woods, asswipe.

"Activists tweeting from the council meeting were using hashtags such as #hantzoff and #landgrab."

It's Wednesday. Get a fucking job. Activist isn't a thing.

Guess what, council? Next election, I'm going to delay voting for you. Then you have to go back to being "activists", or storefront preachers, panhandlers, DPS board, or Mariner's Inn residents.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Delayed. Just fucking do something you fatasses! Get SOMETHING accomplished. Stop stonewalling and delaying EVERYTHING.

"This seems like a short sale," Kenyatta said. "This city is pregnant with possibility."

Oh, really, other Kwame? And are you pregnant with parasitic worms that have eaten your pea-sized brain, asshole? You old sack of shit, in case you haven't noticed, it isn't 1940 anymore. Have you seen the eastside? You couldnt pay me to buy the eastside, and I live on the eastside. Better a short sale than just walking away - like you did with your former home in Russell Woods, asswipe.

"Activists tweeting from the council meeting were using hashtags such as #hantzoff and #landgrab."

It's Wednesday. Get a fucking job. Activist isn't a thing.

Guess what, council? Next election, I'm going to delay voting for you. Then you have to go back to being "activists", or storefront preachers, panhandlers, DPS board, or Mariner's Inn residents.
    Yeah, but "Some day, you watch..."

Shollin Guest

I guess I don't see the difference between a farm and vacant land

I guess I don't see the difference between a farm and vacant land
    The 1st one pays at least some taxes and may employ some people... "vacant land" does neither. Something is better than nothing... Period.

Shollin Guest

Based on what the property would sell for, the non homestead tax would be about 22,000.

That would buy 20 new garbage cans for a DPL!

For a forum that promotes urban density you would think more people would be opposed to a farm opening up within the city. Of course the mantra is if city council opposes it, it must be good.
    The reality is that this land does exist. We are not suddenly going to have a million people moving into the City. Its best to have this being productive and producing taxes as opposed to being an eyesore. This is 170 less acres that the City would need to worry about for the time being and can then spend the time and effort trying to best improve and provide services for areas that are either now stable or on the fringe.

I agree there is no difference between a farm and a factory. I would rather have a factory that would at least employee a couple hundred people at livable wages, however factories are taboo around these parts now.
    I'd rather NASA come in and build a new technology development center. But you know what?

what kinda trees is he talking about? Xmas trees or leaf trees?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The reality is that this land does exist. We are not suddenly going to have a million people moving into the City. Its best to have this being productive and producing taxes as opposed to being an eyesore. This is 170 less acres that the City would need to worry about for the time being and can then spend the time and effort trying to best improve and provide services for areas that are either now stable or on the fringe.
    Why does the city need to worry about it? Let it turn to nature. Have some volunteers plant trees. Turn the streets into gravel streets. Apparently if someone comes along with a plan we just need to jump because they say so. I just don't see how a farm benefits anyone in the surrounding area.

That still leaves 37+ sq. miles of vacant land in the city.

For a forum that promotes urban density you would think more people would be opposed to a farm opening up within the city.

Greenspace creates density. If you have a room 40 people in it and then block off half the room with plants, the density will increase because the 40 people will be forced into a smaller space.

Why does the city need to worry about it? Let it turn to nature. Have some volunteers plant trees. Turn the streets into gravel streets. Apparently if someone comes along with a plan we just need to jump because they say so. I just don't see how a farm benefits anyone in the surrounding area.
    Here's how a farm benefits:

- Money into the city coffers, which is in desperate need of around $10 million in the next 40 days.
    - An acre of trees is nicer to look at than an acre of blight.
    - Less need for fire and police support, which will allow them to focus their efforts in a more concentrated map.

I'm kind of excited for the bankruptcy judge, to be honest. If people are worried about the city "selling all of its jewels", just wait until the courts step in.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    [/I][/COLOR]
    Greenspace creates density. If you have a room 40 people in it and then block off half the room with plants, the density will increase because the 40 people will be forced into a smaller space.

- Money into the city coffers, which is in desperate need of around $10 million in the next 40 days.
    - Less need for fire and police support, which will allow them to focus their efforts in a more concentrated map.

I'm kind of excited for the bankruptcy judge, to be honest. If people are worried about the city "selling all of its jewels", just wait until the courts step in.

Thanks CTY

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    [/I][/COLOR]

This wouldn't be greenspace that can be used by the community. It's for a farm that is looking to turn, I assume, a profit. The space is already empty pushing people to other neighborhoods. I can't imagine a fenced farm with the ungodly smell of livestock will make the area better

I stated to plant trees in the post you quoted

What services does vacant land need? Is the farm not going to need police protection that apparently vacant land needs?

Why does it have to be developed? Let it turn back to nature. make it a park. Is a farm really going to make the area more attractive? People would just steal the crops and livestock.
    If it is turned back to nature, the city still owns = no taxes and upkeep / liability costs continue.

Back to the issue at hand. I'm surprised no one on the council would say, "Okay let's sell that collection of plots, but let's auction it as awhole with the current conditions attached." Wouldn't that determine the true value? It would be a bit unfair to Hantz who did all the leg work but maybe it would stop their howling.

Or are they better to not risk getting a lower price at auction and take the $570K bird in the hand?

Looks like 3/4 of the houses are gone:
    Name:  DetOrchard01.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  56.3 KB

"This wouldn't be greenspace that can be used by the community."

I have a question! Won't the "community" need police protection, the "Greenspace" mowed" litter and dumped trash hauled away? I'm sorry Shollin, but this idea you have of rolling green hills in the Alps just doesn't apply to Detroit.

"I can't imagine a fenced farm with the ungodly smell of livestock will make the area better"

? I thought this was going to be an orchard or tree farm, when did it turn into animal husbandry?

JVB Guest

I'd love to see the city get this land back on the tax rolls, but I have a question. If this land is contiguous wouldn't that include some properties not owned by the city? I know parts of the east side are quite vacant but even the most vacant blocks generally have a couple houses on it. Are we going to have another Poletown eminent domain situation here?

I don't think this City Counsel can even make a decision. Why not sell the land, Hantz said he would plant trees. OMG, trees in the City. What is the big deal? Why can't the Counsel come to a decision about anything? Let them go broke, get rid of them. At this point, they aren't doing anything. They are worthless. I used to scream at the TV - at Kay Everette, at Sheila Cockrell, at Barbara Rose, but these clowns, I just shake my head and turn on reruns of anything.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast