Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Here's the info on the Marygrove event....

An Evening of Recent Detroit Fiction
    A reading and book signing, featuring Peter Markus, Susan Messer, and Michael Zadoorian
    Thurs., March 18, 2010, 7:00 p.m.
    Alumnae Hall, Madame Cadillac Building
    Free and open to the public

Flyer: http://www.marygrove.edu/docs/Defini...Event_2010.pdf

Looking forward to seeing you, Susan!!!

Kathleen, thanks for filling in that info. I inserted a link re: the Marygrove event, but I see it doesn't show up very well. Saved, once again, by Kathleen.

I'll be reading in Ann Arbor during that trip also.

Fri, March 19, 5:30-7
    Establishing a Sense of Place
    Reading and discussion with novelist Debra Spark [[and me)
    University of Michigan Undergraduate Library
    2nd floor, screening room
    Ann Arbor, MI

http://www.press.umich.edu/newsroom/auevents.jsp

Hello there,
    Just wanted to post a reminder about three book events next week.

1. An Evening of Recent Detroit Fiction

A reading and book signing, featuring Peter Markus, Susan Messer, and Michael Zadoorian

2. Fri, March 19, 5:30-7
    Ann Arbor, MI

http://www.lib.umich.edu/shapiro-undergraduate-library/events/authors-debra-spark-and-susan-messer

3. Saturday, March 20, 2:00 p.m.; Detroit Public Library, Douglass Branch
    “With unsparing candor, Susan Messer thrusts us into a time when racial tensions sundered friends and neighbors turned families upside down. The confrontations in Grand River and Joy are complex, challenging, bitterly funny, and—painful though it is to acknowledge it—spot-on accurate.” -Rosellen Brown.

The Douglass Branch, at 3666 Grand River in Detroit, had a water main break in December and has been closed to the public ever since. But they should be open next week, in time for my reading on Saturday [[phew).Should be interesting. Hope to meet some of you.

Susan

One more chance to meet Susan and hear her read from "Grand River and Joy" this afternoon....

Saturday, March 20, 2:00 p.m.; Detroit Public Library, Douglass Branch at 3666 Grand River in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Messer View Post
    Hello there,
    Just wanted to post a reminder about three book events next week.

1. An Evening of Recent Detroit Fiction

2. Fri, March 19, 5:30-7
    Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.lib.umich.edu/shapiro-undergraduate-library/events/authors-debra-spark-and-susan-messer

3. Saturday, March 20, 2:00 p.m.; Detroit Public Library, Douglass Branch
    “With unsparing candor, Susan Messer thrusts us into a time when racial tensions sundered friends and neighbors turned families upside down. The confrontations in Grand River and Joy are complex, challenging, bitterly funny, and—painful though it is to acknowledge it—spot-on accurate.” -Rosellen Brown.

The Douglass Branch, at 3666 Grand River in Detroit, had a water main break in December and has been closed to the public ever since. But they should be open next week, in time for my reading on Saturday [[phew).Should be interesting. Hope to meet some of you.

Susan
    Susan, Michael and Kathleen, I'm so sorry I missed this one. I could've met with, and talked to all of you in one fell swoop. I was off from work at the bar, but I had a monthly association meeting and some serious ill effects from bronchitis. If the stars ever align to have all three of you in the same room again, please let me know. I'll jump at the chance. = Skipper a/k/a 1KD = 1KielsonDrive@live.com = PS: Susan and Michael, if you'd ever like to do a reading and signing at my bar in Hamtramck, please let me know. I'd love to participate. My bar is smokeless and well lighted for certain occasions. I run ads in the local paper to publicize and I'd pitch in for refreshments.

Susan's appearance at the DPL Douglass Branch on Saturday afternoon was terrific. She read several passages from Grand River and Joy and then opened the floor to questions, which precipitated a lengthy dialogue on a variety of social topics. Most of the audience had something to ask or to say. You couldn't ask for more!!

Stay tuned for future appearances!

I had to order it last night, after reading this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoagie View Post
    I had to order it last night, after reading this thread.
    It's an excellent read. You gotta check out Michael Zadoorian's books also. He's an excellent writer and lot's of fun.

Thanks, Kathleen and Kielson and Hoagie. I'm back home now, exhausted. But what an extraordinary few days. I think that DPL event on Saturday was the best of all, something I'll always remember as so special. The staff at the library says they want to get me back again for an even bigger event, and I certainly hope that happens. If it has half the spirit of Saturday's event, it will be a knock out.

And, yes, Kielson, I would love to read at your bar. I have a feeling Michael would be up for it too. We had such a good time Thurs night [[also got to go out with Kathleen after that reading, to the Dakota Inn, where they were having a sing-along).

I know I'll be back in May, at the Southfield Public Library but won't be able to stick around for any other events then. Perhaps we could do something in the summer or fall.

As a result of my book, I met an interesting artist named Nick Tobier [[he came to the DPL reading on Sat), and we're thinking of trying to collaborate on a performance piece of some sort at the intersection of Grand River and Joy. He's been doing wonderful work in Detroit and in the schools. Check out his website. http://www.everydayplaces.com/

Susan

Default Southfield Public Library Annual Meeting

On Tues, May 11, at 6:30, the Friends of the Southfield Public Library are [[is?) hosting a reading and discussion of my book Grand River and Joy.

Location is--

26300 Evergreen Road • Southfield, Michigan 48076 • [[248) 796-4200

I'm really looking forward to this event and would love to meet Detroit Yes people I may have missed on previous visits [[and reconnect with those I've met before).

I dreamed last night that the library had an ancient archaeological site embedded in its center, and I was explaining its relation to the city of Detroit. In my dream, I also noticed Philip Roth come into the room and take a seat in one of the back rows. I guess that's a dream about roots and influences.

Anyway, hope to see you there. Please stay and say hello if you do come.

My novel has been selected by University of Michigan as the Honors Program book for summer reading. That means that all incoming freshman in the honors program read it over the summer and come to campus prepared to discuss. The school holds seminars on the book with leading faculty, and then the students form small groups to discuss it further. They've invited me to come to campus in November, during parents weekend, to meet with parents and students about the book.

As the head of the honors program wrote, "Each year, we look for a book of broad interest which addresses themes worthy of intense discussion. I’m happy to say that this year we have selected “Grand River and Joy” as the Honors summer book."

And also that the "University has strong and growing connections with the city, and we hope that reading your novel will encourage our students to form their own bonds with Detroit."

I'm very happy about this, of course--a great thing for me and for my novel, and hopefully, for the city as well.

Congratulations Susan. !!!!

That's fantastic. It is so refreshing to see something succeed among this malaise.

Congrats, Susan!!!

Mentioned in Susan Whitall's Small Talk column in the Sunday Detroit News:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-River-and-Joy-

To order the paperback:
    http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=364373

Thanks Rick and Jimaz and Kathleen,
    I'm excited about the opportunities this presents. I would have responded before, but I'm away on vacation. Having a really wonderful time in a beautiful spot.

All best,
    Susan

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6