Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

One's own perspective indeed. When your neighborhood is burning, you have your toddler in the floor surrounded by dressers and chest of drawers, in hopes sniper fire won't kill him, tanks are going down your street, followed by police cars and jeeps with rifles sticking out their windows, you share what little milk you have with your neighbors who are babysitting six month old twins and question, if this is really happening in America, then the word rebellion just won't cut it. It sure as hell seemed like a riot to me.

Yes, of course, Wallins. Perspective is everything. That sounds horrible. Where did you live at the time?

The topic is very emotional for many of us. We want and try to bury the painful memories. Hopes and dreams dashed. I actually cannot easily discuss the topic. And living out here in California, it rarely surfaces. I'll manage the courage to read the "Boy" chapter in a few days. Feedback will follow. Purchase may, as well. Good luck regardless.

I will have to read this book one day. As my Grandfather managed an auto parts store by there in the 60,s. This will also give me insight on why my Grandmother did not want my Uncle going to the Grande back then. Eventough they lived up the road at GR/Wyoming.

Okay, Veta, understood. Thanks for being so forthcoming. And thanks for your interest, Reddog.

Russ Gibb [[former owner of the Grande) posted a very nice review of my book on his blog today. http://www.russgibbatrandom.com/

What an interesting man he is. Another person I've gotten to know in the course of writing the novel.

It's interesting that I was quite unaware of the Jewish presence in the neighborhood during the 60's when I was in my teens and lived around there. Later in the 70's, a Jewish businessman, who emigrated from England to Canada and then to the United States, whom I became friends with, took me on rides through the Grand Boulevard, Dexter Chicago areas. He told me a lot of the history of the area. He seemed to remember every corner store, dry cleaner, blind pig, bookmaker and pawn shop around. He even showed me homes he and his family had lived in. I had a huge amount of enjoyment talking and listening to him. Unfortunately, he passed away, unexpectedly, at a fairly young age. I soon wished I had made some records of our conversations. Hindsight is almost always 20/20. I still ride around there occasonally to try and remember what I can of the area. After the freeway came through and the ensuing years of attrition of buildings and landmarks, it's quite difficult to get a proper perspective of physical and cultural places and identity.

Susan - went to Barnes & Noble in Troy yesterday for your book. They were sold out! I'll try Chapters at Devonshire Mall in Windsor next week.

1Kielson,
    Again, perspective is everything--or almost everything. As I've written elsewhere, when I was a young girl growing up in Detroit, I remember hearing that Jews and blacks were minority groups. But this alleged fact was so puzzling and incomprehensible to me, as practically the ONLY people I knew were Jews and blacks.

And erie, thanks so much for telling me about this. And for looking for the book. The whole book-distributions system is a mystery. Sold out? wow. But I'm sure any bookstore would be willing to order the book for you. Keep me posted on what you discover.

All I can add is that I was a little boy growing up on Joy Road in Westland during the 60's. A bit different world than a few miles east of there.

Westland. That's quite a name when you really think about it. Almost sounds like something from a fairy tale.

Westland was/is named after the mall built there. The mall's name obviously comes from the series of malls built by Hudsons....Northland, Southland, Eastland, and, ta daaa....Westland! Westland became a city after Livonia tried to annex the land that the mall was to be built on.

All I remember of the Westland part of Joy Road of the Sixties was sunny lazy days and numerous kind neighbors that my mother associated with. I knew nothing of the 1967 riots in the big city so far away.

Susan - they were willing to order it for me, but I am not planning to be in that area again any time soon. I'll be in Southfield week after next. I'll find it.

Catman,

I knew about the malls [[imagine, being named after a mall), but not the other history. Still, I like to let things resonate, extract them from their "real" history, just consider the sound of the word and its associations. That's what I meant about it sounding like something from a fairy tale. Northland was my stomping ground as a teenager. But still, those names . . .

And Erie, thanks for your diligence in pursuit. Keep me posted.

That is pretty amazing that an entire town was named after the mall that was built there ... Or that the building of the mall caused the creation of the city?

Imagine living in Walmat or KMart!

Right now we name stadiums and public areas after companies [[like Staples, Coammerica Park).

Maybe in the future we will be living in the United States of Walmart.

Hey Rick, we already are. I sometimes call it the The United Corporations of America. Only half-kidding.

Those shopping centers were really in the vanguard of the corporatization of America. Here in Chicago, we have Cellular Field, also called the Cell. Very un-romantic.All about ownership and sponsorship.

For anyone in the Chicago area [[hey, you never know), I'll be presenting my novel tonight [[my first public event) at the public library in Oak Park, Illinois, 7:00. I'd love to see you there.

http://www.oppl.org/main/index.htm

And by the way, the Oak Park [[IL) Public Library just won the gold in the Book Cart Drill Team Championship at the American Library Association's annual meeting. NPR did a story about it. I'm sure you'd like to see the video of them in their Valkyrie costumes.

Susan: Hope you have a good turnout at your OPPL program tomorrow evening!! Wish we could have stayed in Chicago long enough to attend, but will try to catch you on your next visit to Detroit. We really enjoyed meeting you!!

Susan - I have requested our library to purchase a copy. They will hold it for me and I'll be the first to read it. Found out the librarian is familiar with the neighborhood as her grandparents were from around there. She is anxious to read your book too.

Kathleen, it was so great to meet you. And it never would have happened without Detroit Yes.

And, erie, thanks so much. That's very cool. Which library is it? I'd like to come to Michigan and present my book at local libraries but haven't yet found the right people to talk with. Any thoughts on that?

A woman from the Detroit Public Library contacted me and sounded enthusiastic, but I haven't heard back from her yet.

Susan

Susan, best wishes for your book. Since I'm not in Michigan anymore, I'll get it from Amazon.com. BTW....any one who has read it....it could use a [[good) review to get the ball rolling. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Grand-River-Jo...7724379&sr=1-1

Thanks, Kathy. I see that just yesterday Amazon finally listed the book as "in stock." And it's true about the reviews, I suppose. Every little bit helps. I've got an interview scheduled next week with WDET [[not sure when it will be broadcast). That should help too.

Hi Susan - the librarian put the request in for the region of Essex County Ontario.

Have a wonderful day!

Erie, cool. International, then. I remember now, that you are from the Windsor area. I suppose it's really part of the Detroit Metro area in its way. Is that your view?

We certainly went there a lot, when I was growing up. And I had an aunt in Toronto, so we traveled up that way. And also to Stratford, of course.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast