Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I read the sad news about Shaman Drum in Ann Arbor closing. And I like your idea of a stimulus package--buying the work of local authors. I think the publicist at U-M Press is looking for a venue for me, for a reading in A2, but I'm open to suggestions. I lived in A2 for many years before moving to Chicago. In Detroit, I'd love to have an event at the DIA, as I have two substantial scenes that take place there--focusing on the Rivera frescoes. They're such a rich metaphor for Detroit--the union of art and manufacturing. It's not easy to find a way in, though. All cultural institutions are struggling.

I do appreciate hearing the memories of that Grand River and Joy neighborhood. My father worked there when I was a teenager, but being a teenager, I didn't notice many of the realities. We lived farther north and west [[I went to Mumford). Even there, I didn't fully understand what was going on [[well, no one ever does really) until I started doing the research for this novel. Much of it at the Walter Reuther Library at Wayne. Amazing place.

Susan, check out Nicola's Little Professor bookstore at Westgate Shopping Center on the west side at Jackson and Maple Roads. It's a great bookstore. They have the usual readings and even some performances. A couple of years ago Dave Carson read from his book about Detroit Rock and Roll. Gary Quackenbush, formerly of SRC, and a couple of friends, showed up and played a set of music. A few dozen people were in attendance including Gary Rasmussen, guitarist extraordinaire, formerly of The Up. Nicola's is right behind Zingerman's Road House and The Quarter restaurant.

1kiels,

Thanks for the tip on Little Prof. One of my friends had mentioned that one as well. And I know just where it is. I also know of some of those musicians you mention in your post. Probably, if I do a reading there, and you show up, I'll recognize you too. I lived in A2 for a long time.

Susan

Susan, make sure to copy my email address to your mailing list. I'd like to receive updates from you. Thanks. = 1KD = 1KielsonDrive@live.com

Thanks for the email. I will definitely keep in touch. Got an email today from someone at the Detroit Public Library about an author event in early August. Another one from the Detroit Metro Jewish Community Center, about their book fair in November. Tomorrow is the official launch day for the book. So . . . it's really happening. Such a long wait . . .