Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    You do realize that Detroit already used to be call that many decades ago?

And to answer your question, no.
    Yes Bad Brains
    :-) I did realize that, in my initial post I should have said , " do you think the city can remake certain parts, [[from the river to brush park) similar to it's former glory/past , Paris of the Midwest "
    @ poorbert,gistok,Detroitplanner and Hermod, :Capital park, Grand circus park and heck maybe even Cass park .
    Just seeing old pictures of those amazing parks makes an urban planner dream once again !
    I believe it's possible if the city and city council and mayor were more forward thinking . As of late, seems the only forward thinker in the city is Dan Gilbert

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Having been to Paris, I would say that the land value in Paris is enough to ensure the maintenance of its housing stock. That is not the case with Detroit.
    Paris has some of the strongest preservationist laws in the world. That has not been the case with Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Paris has some of the strongest preservationist laws in the world. That has not been the case with Detroit.

Well the problem with Detroit was the perceived notion that "forward thinking" meant doing away with all the old clumsy stuff in order to bring in the new. For a long time, it was OK to decimate neighborhoods and significant buildings for short term profit.

There seems to be a headlong flight away from memories in the way the city has developed, more so than in other cities. A lot of sweeping under the carpet of unpleasant history on one hand, and on the other, maybe more planned obsolescence along the lines of the automotive industry.

But when you read this forum, you find an amazing recollection of people and places which is totally endearing and à propos. The human need to connect with the city's landmarks, no matter how small, from the coney island place to Belle Isle, from the park bench at Campus Martius to the frenzy of Comerica Park says it all; it is as it should be in spite of the occasional disappearance of one of these; the city continues to appeal to human emotions.

For a little bit of Paris in Detroit, I go to my favorite lunch spot Le Petite Zinc.

Do they have Beignets worth mentioning?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Well the problem with Detroit was the perceived notion that "forward thinking" meant doing away with all the old clumsy stuff in order to bring in the new. For a long time, it was OK to decimate neighborhoods and significant buildings for short term profit.

There seems to be a headlong flight away from memories in the way the city has developed, more so than in other cities. A lot of sweeping under the carpet of unpleasant history on one hand, and on the other, maybe more planned obsolescence along the lines of the automotive industry.

But when you read this forum, you find an amazing recollection of people and places which is totally endearing and à propos. The human need to connect with the city's landmarks, no matter how small, from the coney island place to Belle Isle, from the park bench at Campus Martius to the frenzy of Comerica Park says it all; it is as it should be in spite of the occasional disappearance of one of these; the city continues to appeal to human emotions.
    I hate to conflate "forward thinking" with "fundamentally flawed". I think Paris or New York were "forward thinking" with their preservationist policies. Detroit's "forward thinking" turned out to be "fundamentally flawed". Detroit preserved little of anything that we associate with successful urban centers out of some misguided attempt to redefine the urban center. On the other hand, Paris have planned themselves around those key elements of successful urban centers.

I hate to conflate "forward thinking" with "fundamentally flawed". I think Paris or New York were "forward thinking" with their preservationist policies. Detroit's "forward thinking" turned out to be "fundamentally flawed". Detroit preserved little of anything that we associate with successful urban centers out of some misguided attempt to redefine the urban center. On the other hand, Paris have planned themselves around those key elements of successful urban centers.
    How many 100 year old buildings in New York? Not many I bet. Do you consider Robert Moses a forward thinker?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    How many 100 year old buildings in New York? Not many I bet. Do you consider Robert Moses a forward thinker?
    Was that a serious question? NYC has quite a few century old buildings. Take a walk around lower Manhattan and you'll see a few that date back to the 18th century.

Was that a serious question? NYC has quite a few century old buildings. Take a walk around lower Manhattan and you'll see a few that date back to the 18th century.
    Gotta agree, between downtown and midtown Manhattan there's hundreds of buildings over 100 years old.... with the Flatiron Building [[in the middle of the picture) being just one of them....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The lower eastside of Detroit could be redesign with parks and boulevards. Scrap the tree park idea.

I can't help but think how much better and more interesting downtown would look if Hudson's, Madison-Lennox, Lafayette Building, and Statler were still standing.

Oh well, most of the current hipsters and "young professionals" currently flocking to a select few pockets in and around downtown don't even know or care that those buildings once existed.

In terms of total square footage it is quite small.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In terms of total square footage it is quite small.
    Even by that measure it's not a small percentage. The vast majority of the brownstones/rowhouses in Manhattan and Brooklyn date back to at least the late 19th century.

Even by that measure it's not a small percentage. The vast majority of the brownstones/rowhouses in Manhattan and Brooklyn date back to at least the late 19th century.

Absolutely right. There is of course a lot of movement in real estate in New York. How many skyscrapers have fallen to be replaced by others? Still, the vibrancy is due to the demand created by an environment where density is a prerequisite to value, and all amenities point to an increase in density, for good or ill. So, a lot has been lost in New York, but a lot of significant 19th century buildings are preserved throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn primarily.

I seriously think that if transit like what you find in New York, Chicago and Philly existed, the blight that visited on Detroit would have been averted or at least curbed. It is a big part of the puzzle that needs solving so that citizens begin to reconnect the dots. It doesnt need to be the primary source of connectivity in terms of vehicular access, but it needs to be adressed at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I seriously think that if transit like what you find in New York, Chicago and Philly existed, the blight that visited on Detroit would have been averted or at least curbed. It is a big part of the puzzle that needs solving so that citizens begin to reconnect the dots. It doesnt need to be the primary source of connectivity in terms of vehicular access, but it needs to be adressed at the top of the list.
    I think transit is as big of an impediment to Detroit's "rebirth" as crime. Probably more of an issue because it's the least talked about of Detroit's fatal flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Watching Fox 2 news this morning I caught a story about a friend of mine and his new project the [[Edmund) going on line.
    Well thank dog he changed the name to The Edmund instead of "Moorie Estates" or whatever was on the sign before.

Ha ha ha I'll let him know . and I agree it's a much better name .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2