I complain a lot about local media - there's certainly a lot to complain about. And although I fault Fox 2 News on a number of fronts, I still go there most nights as I defer sleep. My fatherly concern with this post is for my girl, Andrea Isom "on the eeedge."
All summer long I watched her take the lead murder story at 11:00 - night after night after night. While the camera fawned over the teddy bears and balloons and notes and candles [[grieving is certainly a growth industry in Detroit), Andrea told these individual horror stories from street level, interviewing the family members, and very professionally asking aloud - and rhetorically - when will the killing stop?
Then as summer became autumn she disappeared from the airwaves, for seemingly a good number of weeks. And unless I missed her story as to why she was gone, I will speculate here wildly and suggest that the wave of summer mayhem got to her, and her bosses at Fox 2 sent her away to a media rest home where other intrepid news hounds also go to unwind and flush their systems of all the urban bile that must build up.
Of course, Andrea is back on the eeedge and she looks fine, but what of the toll on her psyche? It must not be the career she thought it would be when she matriculated through her media courses at Ohio State - the Naked City has slapped her upside the head.