Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That would never work here. Dan gilbert does not look like he has a fox nesting on his head!
    His venture plan is working. See how he transform and utilize many vacant buildings and parking lots in Dowtown Detroit into occupied wonders in 3 years. I was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    His venture plan is working. See how he transform and utilize many vacant buildings and parking lots in Dowtown Detroit into occupied wonders in 3 years. I was shocked.
    Yeah sure, but he is still missing Trump's bad haircut!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So there's gangs in Eastland Mall! There's gangs everywhere. The best the folks can do is keep them out of the streets by starting social service projects and priviledge activities. Get one of them to have a father figure mentorship program to keep them out of the streets. If you all did that Eastland Mall will be safe the surrounding neighborhoods will, too.
    There aren't any gangs where I live. Am I suppose to mentor the person while he's carjacking me?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    There aren't any gangs where I live. Am I suppose to mentor the person while he's carjacking me?
    I don't think so. Mentoring as a before or after thing is what danny means I believe.

Shollin Guest

I know it isn't Eastland, but when I read stories like this that happened a block away from where I used to live, I'm glad I left. I guess I should go to the Wayne County jail and mentor this middle aged man.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'm excited to see what retail is coming, as far as national I can see stores like [[Apple for sure, Sports Authority, Trader Joes, Target, TGIFridays, Express and H&M), with other local unique boutique shops and restaurants.
    I would not expect to see any department stores or large-footprint chain retailers included in the new downtown retail mix.

Department stores have been losing market share for years, and there is no way that they would open new stores in an unproven retail market. Any type of big-box store is also out of the question, because those stores employ a retailing model based on huge sales volume with customers who buy shopping carts full of goods on most trips. This type of retail is very challenging to pull off in a downtown setting. It is possible to build a big-box store integrated into a parking deck, but it is very expensive to do, and the logistics still don't work well for either the store or the customer. Big-box stores are based on an auto-centric development model, which is why it is very rare to see them in any type of downtown pedestrian-oriented district.

I also expect the new downtown retail mix to have a much higher percentage of local and independent business, and less national chains. Most national retail chains still have an aversion to Detroit, but in recent years there has been an uptick in local entrepreneurs who are willing to open stores in the greater downtown area of Detroit.

I expect to see a lot of local businesses similar in size and style to Nest, City Bird, Hugh, The Peacock Room, Detroit Mercantile, Pure Detroit, Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe, Great Lakes Coffee, Seva, Mudgies, Moosejaw, etc. Picture downtown Royal Oak before a lot of the indie stores closed and the chain retailers moved in. Something more along those lines...

I expect that there will also be some national retail in the mix, perhaps stores like Apple, H&M, Brooks Brothers, American Apparel, and Express, but I don't expect to see many of the national retailers that already have dozens of locations commonly found in strip-malls across the region.

Dan Gilbert has said that he wants unique destination retail that will draw people from around the region. This necessarily means that it won't be things like Bo Ricks, TJ Maxx, Sports Authority, Taco Bell, Target, Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Staples, Dunkin Doughnuts, etc.

Dan Gilbert has it right, because if tried to open a bunch of national chain stores on lower Woodward, it would fail. Why would anybody pay to park just to shop at the same stores that can be found in every strip mall across the region, all of them with free parking? The standard strip mall retailers don't work well in a downtown setting. Downtowns have to offer unique goods and services that are different or not available in the ubiquitous suburban strip malls.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    I would not expect to see any department stores or large-footprint chain retailers included in the new downtown retail mix.

Department stores have been losing market share for years, and there is no way that they would open new stores in an unproven retail market. Any type of big-box store is also out of the question, because those stores employ a retailing model based on huge sales volume with customers who buy shopping carts full of goods on most trips. This type of retail is very challenging to pull off in a downtown setting. It is possible to build a big-box store integrated into a parking deck, but it is very expensive to do, and the logistics still don't work well for either the store or the customer. Big-box stores are based on an auto-centric development model, which is why it is very rare to see them in any type of downtown pedestrian-oriented district.

I also expect the new downtown retail mix to have a much higher percentage of local and independent business, and less national chains. Most national retail chains still have an aversion to Detroit, but in recent years there has been an uptick in local entrepreneurs who are willing to open stores in the greater downtown area of Detroit.

I expect to see a lot of local businesses similar in size and style to Nest, City Bird, Hugh, The Peacock Room, Detroit Mercantile, Pure Detroit, Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe, Great Lakes Coffee, Seva, Mudgies, Moosejaw, etc. Picture downtown Royal Oak before a lot of the indie stores closed and the chain retailers moved in. Something more along those lines...

I expect that there will also be some national retail in the mix, perhaps stores like Apple, H&M, Brooks Brothers, American Apparel, and Express, but I don't expect to see many of the national retailers that already have dozens of locations commonly found in strip-malls across the region.

Dan Gilbert has said that he wants unique destination retail that will draw people from around the region. This necessarily means that it won't be things like Bo Ricks, TJ Maxx, Sports Authority, Taco Bell, Target, Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Staples, Dunkin Doughnuts, etc.

Dan Gilbert has it right, because if tried to open a bunch of national chain stores on lower Woodward, it would fail. Why would anybody pay to park just to shop at the same stores that can be found in every strip mall across the region, all of them with free parking? The standard strip mall retailers don't work well in a downtown setting. Downtowns have to offer unique goods and services that are different or not available in the ubiquitous suburban strip malls.
    I agree with you. I feel that downtown need more stores that also cater to needs of those who live in and near the downtown area. Downtown should have a linen store where residents could buy their beddings, kitchen, dining, bath, and livingroom goods. A hardware store is needed. An electronic store that stay open after 5pm such as a Radio Shack or a MicroCenter. Midtown Detroit is getting independent retail stores such as some that I had mentioned. However, downtown and midtown are lacking stores such as a linen store and independent retail clothing stores that cater not only to the "trendy" but to those whose dresses conservative and plain such as myself. A sports store such as footlocker or champs is needed. There is a sneaker store in midtown but it doesn't sale running or exercise gear.

Brooks Brothers had a store in the Penobscot Building until 1990. It also had a store in the RenCen since GM took it over. Both are now closed. I doubt they will be back anytime soon.

What is needed are general merchandisers. These would be stores like Burlington Coat Factory or Dollar General. These stores have a surprisingly large selection of things that an apartment dweller would need. They will also do well with the daytime population who could pop into Dollar General to get some name brand foodstuffs for lunch or who want to do some shopping after work.

"Brooks Brothers had a store in the Penobscot Building until 1990. It also had a store in the RenCen since GM took it over. Both are now closed."

The climate of business has changed over the years. Most of middle and lower management no longer subscribe to the suit & tie agenda. Things have become more casual over the years.

The casual atmosphere causes MooseJaw to be sucessful

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The casual atmosphere causes MooseJaw to be sucessful
    Stasu, you keep calling for a Footlocker downtown. Don't you remember the Footlocker that was on the east side of Woodward near John R up to a few years ago? If they couldn't make it work then, they're not going to rush back downtown for a while

And, I would love to see MooseJaw work here, but to say they're successful after what, two weeks? is a bit premature.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Stasu, you keep calling for a Footlocker downtown. Don't you remember the Footlocker that was on the east side of Woodward near John R up to a few years ago? If they couldn't make it work then, they're not going to rush back downtown for a while

And, I would love to see MooseJaw work here, but to say they're successful after what, two weeks? is a bit premature.
    It was an Athlete's Foot, not a Foot Locker.

But your point is still a good one. The only reason MooseJaw and the couple other stores are on Woodward now is because of the sweetheart deal they got through Dan Gilbert.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It was an Athlete's Foot, not a Foot Locker.

But your point is still a good one. The only reason MooseJaw and the couple other stores are on Woodward now is because of the sweetheart deal they got through Dan Gilbert.
    There was a Footlocker on the spot where the Garage was build for the Woodward lofts. They were essentially kicked out. In addition Radio Shacks were located in the Ren Cen, next to 1001 Woodward, and up by Wayne State. The Wayne State and Highland Park Radio Shacks still exist.

What about Hot Topic guys? That would be popular with the young people.

Quote Originally Posted by xrockerboy View Post
    What about Hot Topic guys? That would be popular with the young people.
    Yes, that will work very well. I'm also surprise Panera Bread never set foot in Midtown/Downtown, yet alone Detroit. Nor Walgreens, an Urban Outfitter store will make a killing.

If we're throwing out things we'd like to see downtown/near downtown.

1. A Hollywood Fitness

2. Gamestop/a very small videogame/electronics store. Nothing huge like flatscreens, but consoles and Gosport cameras.

3. A comics shop. Maybe something on Grand River. I think it could find an audience with a bunch of High Schoolers nearby.

4. A Dick's Last Stand. Or at least something very close to the concept. You definitely can't find anything like it in the usual concrete suburb.

AMC or Star Theatre!!!!!!! RenCen Theater is too isolated, most Detroiter's don't know about it and it is hidden. It need to be one on street level, sort of a walk-up theater.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    AMC or Star Theatre!!!!!!! RenCen Theater is too isolated, most Detroiter's don't know about it and it is hidden. It need to be one on street level, sort of a walk-up theater.
    As opposed to sort of a drive-in theater?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As opposed to sort of a drive-in theater?
    I'm guessing he means like some of the multilevel theaters in Birmingham. Versus the suburban style big boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I'm guessing he means like some of the multilevel theaters in Birmingham. Versus the suburban style big boxes.
    Yes exactly, have you been to the AMC theaters in downtown New York City and/or Chicago? That's what I'm talking about exactly..no parking lots.

This type of theaters downtown will create more foot traffic than the one in the Ren Cen, which has no presence.

This can also work downtown on Woodward, the AMC and McDonalds are places where it will have tons of foot traffic all day and night.

We need a Mac Store in the downtown area, and another good eyeglass place - a SEE, Optique or Shades store [[places that I buy glasses from in Birmingham)

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

Atheletes Foot and Footlocker were the only two kids on the block ten years ago. Merchants Row were lined with boarded up storefronts. Downtown was on a major decline. It is a different feel in the downtown area today thanks to Dan Gilbert, Karmanos, and others who were willing to take risks when naysayers were saying "this will never work downtown'. An exercise apparel store would fit perfectly downtown and midtown. Moosejaw has done better in it's two weeks of opening than the Somerset had done in it's first couple of months. I am not shunning the Somerset Collection. I thank them for having confidence in the downtown community to open a popup store. I feel more affordable casual/dress casual stores would be a splash in the downtown area. I am still wishing for Men's Warehouse to open somewhere in the downtown Midtown area. I think that a City Target would do good in the Midtown area in New Center One.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast