Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Awesome news. I hope they plan to be open late like other 7-Elevens. This is the kind of the thing that can cater as much to city-dwellers as to workers/visitors, which is a great step in the right direction.
    I'm excited to see what retail is coming, as far as national I can see stores like [[Apple for sure, Sports Authority, Trader Joes, Target, TGIFridays, Express and H&M), with other local unique boutique shops and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Most of those you mentioned are closer to Meijer in Madison Heights or Royal Oak. I live in Sterling Heights and people don't want to shop at the Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke because of the Detroiters who destroy the store.
    LOL people from Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge shopping in Detroit. That's as silly as Grosse Pointers shopping at Eastland.
    Hmmmm...actually no. They are not closer to the Royal Oak [[basically in Troy) or Madison Heights location. They are closer to the intersection of 8 and Woodward than the intersection of 14/Coolidge or 13/John R.

For me, a Royal Oaker, no this Meijer's is not convenient for me, but I know Royal Oak south of 11 Mile would be served better by the Detroit location.

And please don't be so disingenuous, we all know "Detroiter" is the suburban code word for "black".

And has anyone ever been to the Meijer's at 12 and Telegraph. That is one of the most diverse places because it's along a major route. The upper middle and wealthy people of Farmington Hills, Lathrup Village, Bloomfield Township, Beverly Hills, mixed in with the middle class whites, blacks and Jews of Southfield.

Meijer's at 8 and Woodward is a excellent spot for those coming home from downtown and need to pick up something for dinner or whatnot. Instead of 75, they take Woodward [[yes, downtown workers do take Woodward b/c 75 can be a nightmare going north in the afternoon rush).

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Hmmmm...actually no. They are not closer to the Royal Oak [[basically in Troy) or Madison Heights location. They are closer to the intersection of 8 and Woodward than the intersection of 14/Coolidge or 13/John R.

For me, a Royal Oaker, no this Meijer's is not convenient for me, but I know Royal Oak south of 11 Mile would be served better by the Detroit location.

And please don't be so disingenuous, we all know "Detroiter" is the suburban code word for "black".
    Well when you look at the percentage of black shoppers in Walmart and the percentage of blacks that live in Sterling Heights, you can safely assume they aren't from Sterling Heights.

Most of those you mentioned are closer to Meijer in Madison Heights or Royal Oak. I live in Sterling Heights and people don't want to shop at the Walmart at 14 and Van Dyke because of the Detroiters who destroy the store.

LOL people from Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge shopping in Detroit. That's as silly as Grosse Pointers shopping at Eastland.
    Hey Buddy....."1963" called, they said to return Jim Crow as soon as you're finish with him because they have quite a few stores and cities for him to segregate back in the bad old days.

GUSHI Guest

7-11, poor Chaldean party stores , gonna start going out of business,

^^^You are so racist, this is why our region will never grow due to your and many other Metro Detroiter's "disingenuous" mindset. Your assumption is just that, an "assumption". Black Myths: they're dangerous, ghetto, theives etc. So what are whites...Angels?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by De'troiter View Post
    Hey Buddy....."1963" called, they said to return Jim Crow as soon as you're finish with him because they have quite a few stores and cities for him to segregate back in the bad old days.
    I'm just being honest. The Meijer in Royal Oak is at 14 and Coolidge. Huntington Woods starts at 11 and Coolidge. It's about halfway between the Royal Oak Meijer and the Detroit Meijer. You honestly think people from Huntington Woods or Royal Oak for that matter will stop shopping at that Meijer and go to the Detroit one? Second, why would Meijer want to take customers from their one store and shift them to the other?

I lived in Harper Woods for a long time. Grosse Pointers quit shopping at Eastland a long time ago. They don't shop at Macomb either. I honesty don't know where they shop.

Retail has failed along 8 Mile. Eastland, Northland, Bellaire, 8 & Schonherr have all failed or are failing. Not holding my breathe for this 8 and Woodward project.

GUSHI Guest

Are the 7 11 gonna have bullet proof glass,

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    Are the 7 11 gonna have bullet proof glass,
    Yes, to protect themselves from "GUSHI", you and those other naysayers are more dangerous, if you ask me.

GUSHI Guest

More dangerous then a Uzi and a bunch of gang bangers, maybe I do have a temper,

I'm just being honest. The Meijer in Royal Oak is at 14 and Coolidge. Huntington Woods starts at 11 and Coolidge. It's about halfway between the Royal Oak Meijer and the Detroit Meijer. You honestly think people from Huntington Woods or Royal Oak for that matter will stop shopping at that Meijer and go to the Detroit one? Second, why would Meijer want to take customers from their one store and shift them to the other?

I lived in Harper Woods for a long time. Grosse Pointers quit shopping at Eastland a long time ago. They don't shop at Macomb either. I honesty don't know where they shop.

Retail has failed along 8 Mile. Eastland, Northland, Bellaire, 8 & Schonherr have all failed or are failing. Not holding my breathe for this 8 and Woodward project.
    Grosse Pointers must make the trek to Somerset or Lakeside. Or deal with what they have on the Hill.

I can't answer those questions. I probably won't start shopping at the new Meijer's [[I rarely go to Meijer's anyways, there are better grocery stores closer to me). From the epicenter of HW, Nadine and Scotia rds, 8 Mile and Woodward is one mile shorter than the Royal Oak/Troy Meijer. We have to wait and see.

Malls change because the demographics change. Northland and Oakland Macy's [[and Eastland, I assume) have "urban" [[what an awful code word) styles to cater to African-Americans [[think Sean Jean). Oakland Mall Hudson's was the Hudson's I grew up with and never remember "urban" styles. But demographics change and voila. That isn't a bad thing, it's just a change. Meijer's doesn't do that. Everyone eats. We eat the same fruits, veggies, cereals, meats, dairy products, etc. We buy the same lawn, BBQ, etc equipment. We buy the same flowers and lawn stuff.

More pop ups for the Wonderfest
    http://christmaswonderfest.com/

By and large, I have to agree with Shollin.

gthomas, are you familiar with any other part of the city besides downtown/midtown?

And also, while being a naysayer is no good, wearing rose-colored glasses all of the time is just as bad.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-13-12 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Meijer's at 8 and Woodward is a excellent spot for those coming home from downtown and need to pick up something for dinner or whatnot. Instead of 75, they take Woodward [[yes, downtown workers do take Woodward b/c 75 can be a nightmare going north in the afternoon rush).
    FWIW, people also take Gratiot to/from downtown [[for those who don't drive down Gratiot, it is bumper-to-bumper during rush hour, even stop and go heading outbound) and yet the Kroger on 7 Mile and Gratiot didn't fair well, even if it was closer for some folks in Eastpointe or Warren than the ones in Grosse Pointe or Roseville.

It's true.

I was at the Walgreens one time on 8 Mile/Harper and I overheard this woman and the cashier in front of me talking about how they "didn't care for" the Target at Eastland or even the Wal-Mart at 12 Mile and Gratiot for whatever reason, and one of the women even said they'd rather travel all of the way out to the Target on Hall Road than go to any of the closer Targets/Kmarts/Wal-MArts, for whatever reason.

That Kroger was built in an already deteriorated area. I moved Downtown in 1996 and I was amazed even then that it was built out there. It was destined to fail no matter what metrics Kroger thought it met.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    That Kroger was built in an already deteriorated area. I moved Downtown in 1996 and I was amazed even then that it was built out there. It was destined to fail no matter what metrics Kroger thought it met.
    This kind of thinking is part of a problem. The store is NOT a failure. It was Kroger who failed the City. There currently is a grocer there. He would not be in business if the store was a failure. http://mikesfreshmarket.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Not quite.

The shopping center with the Kroger on 7 Mile and Gratiot was already being built just as Emperor Engler lifted the residency requirement in 1999.

Tons of city workers lived in NE Detroit, especially right up Gratiot in Mohican-Regent and Regent Park. Homes were going for $100,000 or more during the real estate boom.

"This kind of thinking is part of a problem. The store is NOT a failure. It was Kroger who failed the City. There currently is a grocer there. He would not be in business if the store was a failure. http://mikesfreshmarket.com/"

Nice website! I like the photos, they look like real people, [[Detroiters?), and not paid fashion models.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    This kind of thinking is part of a problem. The store is NOT a failure. It was Kroger who failed the City. There currently is a grocer there. He would not be in business if the store was a failure. http://mikesfreshmarket.com/
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

The Kroger on 7 Mile & Gratiot was built exactly like its suburban counterparts [[just as the Meijer on 8 Mile and Woodward supposedly will be). How exactly were they supposed to build the store?

About the only frill Mike's Fresh Market has kept from Kroger is the Deli [[which isn't all that hot to me). Plus, unlike Kroger, Mike's Fresh Market on 7 Mile and Gatiot doesn't have the huge payroll Kroger had because they hire relatives and school kids to work in the store and pay them under the table.

EDIT: Besides, Mike's Fresh MArket on 7 Mile and Gratiot always has that horrible smell in it [[which seems to be only unique to stores in Detroit), similar to the smell of rotten meat or produce.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's true.

I was at the Walgreens one time on 8 Mile/Harper and I overheard this woman and the cashier in front of me talking about how they "didn't care for" the Target at Eastland or even the Wal-Mart at 12 Mile and Gratiot for whatever reason, and one of the women even said they'd rather travel all of the way out to the Target on Hall Road than go to any of the closer Targets/Kmarts/Wal-MArts, for whatever reason.
    While our region is ripe with racism [[see also: other posts on this thread), the reason for the comments you overheard is that they've tried shopping there, compared it to other options, and decided they are [[really really) not nice stores. And I agree with them.

I just moved from the west side to the east side... last year or so I grew quickly to enjoy the two new Walmart stores in Livonia [[Plymouth/Middlebelt and 7 Mile/Middlebelt). They are new, superstores, with bright lights, wide aisles, and good inventory including produce and other food items. I enjoy the low prices on things like medicine and other random housewares/etc [[and I had given up on the Meijer over there after giving it countless reprieves).

When was the last time you went to the Walmart on 12 Mile? Instead of a produce section and 30 aisles of food selection found at most Walmarts, they have maybe 6-7 narrow, short aisles with one sign above them... "FOOD." With Walmart especially, personal experience across town and even in other states has shown me that from one store to the next can be night and day... and I'm not talking about skin color, either. The Plymouth Road Walmart is served by DDOT, and both of these Livonia stores are always packed with people from all walks of life [[economic and ethnic backgrounds).

I hear they might be building a new Walmart across 13 Mile from the Meijer on Little Mack... hopeful, because driving out to Hall Road or Van Dyke from Moross is too far for Walmart.
    Last edited by cramerro; November-13-12 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    While our region is ripe with racism [[see also: other posts on this thread), the reason for the comments you overheard is that they've tried shopping there, compared it to other options, and decided they are [[really really) not nice stores. And I agree with them.

I just moved from the west side to the east side... last year or so I grew quickly to enjoy the two new Walmart stores in Livonia [[Plymouth/Middlebelt and 7 Mile/Middlebelt). They are new, superstores, with bright lights, wide aisles, and good inventory including produce and other food items. I enjoy the low prices on things like medicine and other random housewares/etc [[and I had given up on the Meijer over there after giving it countless reprieves).

When was the last time you went to the Walmart on 12 Mile? Instead of a produce section and 30 aisles of food selection found at most Walmarts, they have maybe 6-7 narrow, short aisles with one sign above them... "FOOD." With Walmart especially, personal experience across town and even in other states has shown me that from one store to the next can be night and day... and I'm not talking about skin color, either. The Plymouth Road Walmart is served by DDOT, and that store is always packed with people from all walks of life.

I hear they might be building a new Walmart across 13 Mile from the Meijer on Little Mack... hopeful, because driving out to Hall Road or Van Dyke from Moross is too far for Walmart.
    The thing is, I just don't understand the backward logic of driving 25 miles out of the way past several stores just to go to one particular store because the service is MARGINALLY better [[emphasis on marginally). The products and prices aren't much different either.

There's no question in my mind that racism is thinly veiled under those decisions by some. Some people just aren't comfortable around a lot of blacks, especially lower income blacks.

You also bring up the Livonia WAl-MArt, which is interesting because the Livonia citizens ferociously fought the construction of that Wal-MArt not because it would hurt the other retail establishments in the city or not because they might have broken a few environmental rules, but because it would attract Detroiters. The citizens of Livonia even opted out of SMART for the fear that Detroiters would ride that bus out to the Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-13-12 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The thing is, I just don't understand the backward logic of driving 25 miles out of the way past several stores just to go to one particular store because the service is MARGINALLY better [[emphasis on marginally). The products and prices aren't much different either.

There's no question in my mind that racism is thinly veiled under those decisions by some. Some people just aren't comfortable around a lot of blacks, especially lower income blacks.
    Because the difference ISN'T marginal. If I'm going to Macy's I'm not going to the one at Eastland. Why? Because it's a dump. Not only does the place seem to be in constant in disarray, the product they stock is CLEARLY targeted at another demographic.

Just think if we had one more person like, say, oh, Marty Mouron putting his money into something good....With all that money he wasted over the elections he could have done A LOT of good and made money off of it it in the long run. But when yo have billions you can waste millions I suppose...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast