Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I don't think anyone ever wanted the city to staff the building. Just let it sit there, like 99% of other abandoned properties in Detroit, and wait for it to be developed. There's a lot bigger and more dangerous structures that the city is liable for, not to mention whole neighborhoods that need attention that looked like a bomb dropped on them. Tiger Stadium was harmless, but perhaps too symbolic of something the city council didn't like.
    Yea Detroit could use a few more iconic ruins!

I would love to see a building that's shaped like a boomerang that would hug Trumbull and Michigan Avenues, while the field would remain intact. This building could house office space on the first and second floors, and apartments would go on the third through sixth floors. The building would have a tower like the old Sears store in Highland Park at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull. There would also be basketball courts and tennis courts along the Fisher Service Drive or where old Kaline Drive used to be. A combination of a park/playfield and an office/residential complex is what I envision every time I drive by that site. Never would I have ever envisioned a car dealership on this site.
    Last edited by royce; November-10-12 at 01:18 AM.

Once again, the City Of Detroit government can't seem to redevelop a special piece property that means a lot to so many. Guess they can't put out up a baseball field for adults and children to play on.

The Detroit News helps explain things.
    Sort of.

Plenty of fact-checking in the comments section:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...Harwell-statue

Shollin Guest

People need to move on. The stadium is gone. People want development but want to hold on to the past. Other cities have moved on from their stadiums. Comiskey is now a parking lot. Plus, there's already a Harwell statue at Comerica, why do we need another one?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    People need to move on. The stadium is gone. People want development but want to hold on to the past. Other cities have moved on from their stadiums. Comiskey is now a parking lot. Plus, there's already a Harwell statue at Comerica, why do we need another one?
    Other cities don't have vast swaths of abandoned lots that could be used for development. If we're going to have a ton of abandoned property in the city, why not maintain the field for Little League games, softball tournaments etc? Imagine how much foot traffic that would bring to the area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2