Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default No joke! Study the crime map carefully...not a single sq mile without shootings

Palmer Woods/Green Acres is one.

There are a few honorable mentions on the far west side, but that have one on the mile road.

Very Sad. Ya gotta be stinking rich or very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Palmer Woods/Green Acres is one.

There are a few honorable mentions on the far west side, but that have one on the mile road.

Very Sad. Ya gotta be stinking rich or very lucky.
    Keep in mind that map only shows MAJOR crimes.

I imagine crimes such as property theft are likely a huge issue in Palmer Woods/Green Acres.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Keep in mind that map only shows MAJOR crimes.

I imagine crimes such as property theft are likely a huge issue in Palmer Woods/Green Acres.
    I know, it shows shootings. This is what the poster said in his original post. Don't know about you but I would rather be burgled than shot. Actually I'd like neither if I can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I know, it shows shootings. This is what the poster said in his original post. Don't know about you but I would rather be burgled than shot. Actually I'd like neither if I can get away with it.
    I don't think you have to worry too much about being the victim of random gun violence, so I'd be more worried about being burglarized if I were you. It'd be nice if they'd split it out by random shooting versus non-random.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I don't think you have to worry too much about being the victim of random gun violence, so I'd be more worried about being burglarized if I were you. It'd be nice if they'd split it out by random shooting versus non-random.
    You don't know much about me. After all I must be a crackhead to be a City Planner around here! I get asked "You smoking crack?" on a regular basis!

I would agree that gun violence isn't a major fear of mine. The main thing that prevents me from considering Detroit residency is fear of burglary and the like.

Depends where you're walking. Several of these appear random:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-week-Detroit

The first shooting on that map I clicked on was located 1.5 miles away from the actual location. Accurate map!

There were three shootings on the same night on my block last week......not a one of them showed up on the map!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    There were three shootings on the same night on my block last week......not a one of them showed up on the map!
    Maybe they happened AFTER Police Station hours of operation?

Something bothers me about this whole reporting thing, but I'm not sure I know exactly what it is except that I keep getting this underlying feeling that the Detroit News goes out of its way to show how horrible Detroit is. I'll grant you 1) I only know from what I read on the web, living 3000 miles away, and 2) things AREN't good as I understand it, but the News seems to have a vendetta against someone or something. I don't get this feeling from the Freep.

At this point, The News reminds me a bit of one of the strike papers in the 60's that ran a police blotter which usually closed each posting with a line something like "....police have no discription of the suspect except for his color.", prompting the Michigan Chronicle to run their own blotter, closing each crime report with "....police have no discription of the suspect except for his lack of color."

That map is just sad.

The scarier thing is that for the majority of these you click on, the shooter was never caught. Some of them were in broad daylight. Pretty brazen. Some were random. Some may or may not have been random. Obviously it's bad either way.

At least this one didn't get away

Crime: Homicide
    Address: 19400 Plymouth
    Date, time: May 5, 2012 at 5:30 p.m.
    No. of victims: 1
    No. Killed, if any: 1
    Suspect[[s) arrested?: Deceased
    Details: The victim exited a business when the suspect approached and took the victim's property. The victim [[concealed pistol license holder) fired shots, striking the suspect. The suspect was fatally wounded and the victim was taken into police custody.

This one is just ridiculous
    Crime: Homicide
    Address: 12000 Archdale
    Date, time: July 8, 2012 at 12:30 a.m.
    No. of victims: 1
    No. Killed, if any: 1
    Suspect[[s) arrested?: N
    Details: Adaisha Miller, 25, was dancing with an off-duty Detroit police officer when the officer's weapon discharged, striking Miller. Miller recieved a fatal gunshot wound to the chest. The officer, Isaac Parrish, was placed on adminitrative duty.
    Last edited by LeannaM; November-01-12 at 08:41 PM.

serpico Guest

So sad.. yet "normal" in Detroit... Coleman Young argued with a reporter in 1990 about the level of crime in Detroit saying any "big" city has crime....
    ANY murder is NOT acceptable.... Yet elected officials in Detroit see nothing wrong with this picture... ....
    Only in Detroit.....

Quote Originally Posted by serpico View Post
    So sad.. yet "normal" in Detroit... Coleman Young argued with a reporter in 1990 about the level of crime in Detroit saying any "big" city has crime....
    ANY murder is NOT acceptable.... Yet elected officials in Detroit see nothing wrong with this picture... ....
    Only in Detroit.....
    Coleman Young WAS right in 1990.

Every "big" american city had per-capita crime rates in line with Detroit's in 1990, even NYC.

Coleman Young WAS right in 1990.

Every "big" american city had per-capita crime rates in line with Detroit's in 1990, even NYC.
    I find this extremely hard to believe.

I mean, even if you knew nothing about big cities in the U.S., it wouldn't be logical that they all had the same crime rate at the same time. Cities vary quite a bit in terms of demographics, economics, law enforcement resources, etc.

I'm guessing that Detroit has had elevated rates of crime relative to other major cities for a number of decades. And I think there's high variability among the cities as a whole. I bet you NYC, Boston, maybe LA, definitely Seattle, have generally been below average in terms of crime, even before Giuliani and the more recent crime dops.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I mean, even if you knew nothing about big cities in the U.S., it wouldn't be logical that they all had the same crime rate at the same time. Cities vary quite a bit in terms of demographics, economics, law enforcement resources, etc.

I'm guessing that Detroit has had elevated rates of crime relative to other major cities for a number of decades. And I think there's high variability among the cities as a whole. I bet you NYC, Boston, maybe LA, definitely Seattle, have generally been below average in terms of crime, even before Giuliani and the more recent crime drops.
    I said "big" cities, as in Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, etc., not Boston or Seattle [[which weren't that big at the time). With the crack-cocaine epidemic in 1990, crime was ridiculously high in all major urban areas. The difference now is, while crime has declined in those cities since 1990, Detroit's crime rate is still ridiculously high.

As for Los Angeles, the worst of its crime problems have always been in its neighboring suburbs. See Compton, Inglewood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I'm guessing that Detroit has had elevated rates of crime relative to other major cities for a number of decades. And I think there's high variability among the cities as a whole. I bet you NYC, Boston, maybe LA, definitely Seattle, have generally been below average in terms of crime, even before Giuliani and the more recent crime dops.
    NYC's crime rate was quite high through at least the mid-1990s. NYC's crime rate in the 1990s is about the same as what Detroit's is today. That said, Detroit's crime rate was a bit higher in the 1990s than it is today.

Interesting... The News publishes a map that if you pull out just a bit, shows its readers exactly why they live in the suburbs... No major Detroit crimes happen outside of Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Interesting... The News publishes a map that if you pull out just a bit, shows its readers exactly why they live in the suburbs... No major Detroit crimes happen outside of Detroit!
    WOW!! If you zoom out a little further Detroit is the only place in the country where crime occurs!!

JVB Guest

Most people don't realize this, but the police do not have a responsibility to protect us or prevent crime. The Supreme Court has actually ruled on variations of that several times, with the most recent case being Castle Rock, vs Gonzalez.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Most people don't realize this, but the police do not have a responsibility to protect us or prevent crime. The Supreme Court has actually ruled on variations of that several times, with the most recent case being Castle Rock, vs Gonzalez.
    Interesting...

Then what do we pay them to do exactly?

Interesting...

Then what do we pay them to do exactly?
    Sec. 7-1101. Police Department.

The police department shall preserve the public peace, prevent crime, arrest offenders, protect the rights of persons and property, guard the public heath, preserve order, and enforce laws of the state and the nation and the ordinances of the city.

https://www.detroitmi.gov/Department...s/Charter.aspx

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sec. 7-1101. Police Department.

The police department shall preserve the public peace, prevent crime, arrest offenders, protect the rights of persons and property, guard the public heath, preserve order, and enforce laws of the state and the nation and the ordinances of the city.

https://www.detroitmi.gov/Department...s/Charter.aspx
    That's what their mission is, but the Supreme Court has ruled that they can not be held accountable for failing [[or refusing) to do any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    That's what their mission is, but the Supreme Court has ruled that they can not be held accountable for failing [[or refusing) to do any of those things.
    How do I get in on any of this? I want to be able to say "Naw, I'm not going to do that" on my job, and have the Supreme Court back me up. I also want to pay the 14% tax rate other people do.