Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think you answered your own question. It's All Hallow's Eve, or, at least, derived from it. Few people celebrate it as that, but the same goes for St. Patrick's Day. It's an actual holiday with history behind it. I think it will be a sad day when we have to start moving holidays based on Americans' unwillingness/inability to make time for a bit of fun. Perhaps we should move Independence Day as well, I mean, this 4th of July crap is anachronistic and I have to work in the morning. Thanksgiving? Saturday, please. I need to get up and shop at 2am on Friday. Let's move Easter to Good Friday so I can sleep in the next day. Good Friday? Just pitch the damn thing.
    Omg. spare me the "reasons" behind the holidays. Nobody. Fucking. Cares. Half my office is leaving early today because they have to pick up little timmy and go walking around begging for candy...not to go to Mass.

Nobody cares if "independence day" is ACTUALLY celebrated on the 4th. if they did, things like the Detroit fireworks celebrating Independence day wouldn't be shared with Canada and held in late June.

Nobody cares if St.pattys is done on the 17th. St pattys to 95% of the population is a day to get hammered. Not a damn thing more. what's better for productivity and general civil society? having it on a Tuesday or a Saturday? I know the bars [[and the local police departments that profit from DUI and alcohol related fines) prefer having it mid week because they they get two legit weekends + a mid week day to have St. Pattys day themes [[and exceed ticket quotas)...but what would be the best for the rest of the world?

I think thanksgiving is the perfect example of how to do a holiday. Its the fourth Thursday of the month and most people will take or be given the following Friday off. Or move it to friday... i don't really care. Better than having a party holiday on a Tuesday and having to go into work the next morning...am i right?

I mean just about every one of the Holidays we celebrate is an arbitrarily picked day. Even the grandaddy of them all, Christmas, has little to do with the ACTUAL date of Jesus's birth and more to do with assimilating pagan holidays into the catholic tradition.
    Last edited by bailey; October-31-12 at 08:59 AM. Reason: corrected the date....sorry Gannon