I know it's late in the year, and I have tried contacting other sources to strike up at least a winter's passion for my idea - I thought maybe the DFT might be persuaded, or the Redford Theater or The Fox for one night, but no. The film format seems to be dead. Everything is digital now, and if not IMAX-ed, it's mostly home viewing, right? My guess is that film societies are having trouble finding films that are presentable right out of their cans.

December 2012 marks the 50th Anniversary of the roadshow release of David Lean's, "Lawrence of Arabia." This of course is old school, big canvas story telling at its finest. It's Michigan premiere was at the Madison Theater in Grand Circus Park. It would have been nice if a clean 35mm or 70mm print could have been shown somewhere in Metro Detroit to mark this happy occasion. But perhaps the actual film format is the stumbling block. I have been told that 65mm prints [[70mm when a projectors lamp is cast through the film and the appropriate lens) are non-existant. [[The Fox showed a 70mm print many years ago, maybe the early 80s; as did The Redford at some point-in-time) Perhaps the same is true for 35mm prints

At any rate I wanted to bring this to your attention dear reader, with the fervent hope that if you are in any way involved with or a supporter of any revival film series or theater, you might kick this idea around - again, if "Lawrence" exists as film. Digital "films" are clear and crisp - yes, but cold and flat on a large screen. Celluloid is like vinyl music, it has warmth and depth. Classic film is "classic" for many reasons, one of them is surely the format the scenes were shot in. Gistok, I'll let you pick the showplace of your mind to view "Lawrence" - just save "reserved seats" for the rest of us.