Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Detroit needs to put a Detroiter in the White House

When was the last time Detroit had a power player in the White House excluding congressmen and senators?

I look at the amount of money and opportunity that Bill Clinton sent to his home state of Arkansas. The INSANE amount of money, numerous multi-million dollar contracts and crazy amount of investments that George Bush sent to Texas and Florida. Now in the Obama administration, Ray LaHood, Dick Durbin and current Mayor Rahm Emanuel are shipping the farm to their home state of Illinois. The Illinois Governor just sold an empty prison to the Feds that they couldn't afford to operate and made a HUGE profit. I look at all the economic investment that's going to Chicago and Illinois, especially in the form of transportation spending. They just ran a high-speed rail line from Chicago to St. Louis that runs 115 mph. Chicago is getting gobs of transit money just about every single month. The entire city is being repaved and infrastructure is being completely over-hauled... in today’s economy. It doesn't help that Rahm Emanuel knows every little trick in the book to get free federal money for Chicago.

I personally don't see anything wrong with this and I commend them for taking advantage of having Chicagoans in control of the White House and access to all of that federal money.

My question is, why can't we Detroiters do the same thing? If we had a Detroiter or Detroiters running the oval office, can you imagine all of the advantages we'd have? We need to push to get Detroiters in the oval office.

Otherwise, I think we're reaching for fruit that's on a tree branch way too high to reach. We're left picking up apples from the ground.

We need to go for it all folks!
    Last edited by illwill; October-21-12 at 10:39 AM.