Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Romney will ax all these grants and transit funding programs the first day he's in office. Transit system construction and/or expansion will be eliminated.
    This is all the more reason for an RTA.

First, LaHood will send the money to Detroit before the next term starts... likely will not be un-done.

Second, the transit funding levels are set for the next two years, and after that it will be up to the legislature to set them in our next transportation bill. Now if the Dems lose the prez and senate, you may be on to something...

Third, the RTA will be a vehicle to generate more local funding for transit. Most other major markets have an RTA, have more robust transit, AND have MORE FUNDING LOCALLY.

For example, SMART has a property tax [[for opt-in communities only of course) for .49 mils. Ann Arbor [[AATA) has a 2.0 mil tax for transit. That's over 4 times the local funding rate. As a Wayne County resident I also love to point out with a scowl on my face that our lovely County Jail millage is .98 mils... priorities are pretty clear to me.

The RTA would provide the management system, organization, and more importantly a regional vision for transit that will make building support for more funding from a larger geographic area more feasible. Until you have buy in from the region that investment and funding these projects is worth thier while, they will not happen. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Only someone who wasn't from here and hadn't experienced decades - centuries really - of "blame Detroit" [[and in recent decades "blame those crazy n----- down in Detroit") politics from the State of Michigan could ever say something as ridiculous as this. Even now, with a highly reduced Detroit, they're still campaigning against us, as shown by those recent repulsive ads from the state Republican party. And you can certainly see it again in that highly misleading Freep story.

Yes, regional transit needs to get done, and it has been a vital need around here for a very very long time. But since Detroit has run its own transit system for nearly 100 years, has a much larger fleet and greater density of bus lines, and much more than 15% of public transit riders come from the city, I see no reason why we should only get a small % of the representation in making operating decisions. Particularly when many of the suburban areas out there and representatives like Richardville don't even want to pay penny 1 for public transit under any circumstances, and have even fought to keep the scourge of public transit out of their pristine lil' towns.
    Precisely because Detroit has most of the riders, it would get most of the benefit from an RTA, even if it didn't control it. Detroit doesn't really have a strong negotiating position here, and 15% of something functional is better than 100% of something that isn't, which is likely where things will end up given that the city is going to have to continue making cuts all over the place, including DDOT.

"Thankfully, it's just a matter of time. As population in Detroit continues to decrease and decrease, Detroit is losing more and more representation in the state government.

At some point, the number of reps will be so few, that their ability to obstruct will all but disappear. Hopefully, sometime between now and then, the political winds shift away from the radical and toward the pragmatic."

Are you that disconnected from the political reality of SE Michigan that you believe this clap-trap? The idea that the RTA legislation is being held up by the Reps from Detroit is a joke. The idea that if these Reps disappeared to be replaced by more Republicans from the suburbs that they would bless Detroit with the RTA legislation is a sick joke. Republicans have near supermajorities in the House and Senate and Snyder as Governor. They could ram through whatever form of the RTA they want, even one that stripped Detroit of any representation. But they've done NOTHING. They'll continue to do nothing because of the end of the day, a majority of them don't believe in the RTA and have zero interest in doing anything that would be perceived as helping Detroit. You'll have better luck wishing for free ponies and unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

[Frank Rizzo is] a nice blanket label to describe those types.
    Aww, you guys are making me blush.

Only someone who wasn't from here and hadn't experienced decades - centuries really - of "blame Detroit" [[and in recent decades "blame those crazy n----- down in Detroit") politics from the State of Michigan could ever say something as ridiculous as this. Even now, with a highly reduced Detroit, they're still campaigning against us, as shown by those recent repulsive ads from the state Republican party. And you can certainly see it again in that highly misleading Freep story.

Yes, regional transit needs to get done, and it has been a vital need around here for a very very long time. But since Detroit has run its own transit system for nearly 100 years, has a much larger fleet and greater density of bus lines, and much more than 15% of public transit riders come from the city, I see no reason why we should only get a small % of the representation in making operating decisions. Particularly when many of the suburban areas out there and representatives like Richardville don't even want to pay penny 1 for public transit under any circumstances, and have even fought to keep the scourge of public transit out of their pristine lil' towns.
    Why does it matter who 'controls' it? Isn't it more important for people in need of transit that the system exists? I don't understand why it matters who controls the system -- except that they get to divide the spoils of corruption.

While I don't think its relevant, 15% is probably a reasonable share of control. I suggest we use the inverse of the corruption index for each municipality. Give more control to those who aren't wasteful and corrupt. By that method, 15% is probably generous.

Look at this big battle of the titans. It's sad, man. Not sad because good transit shouldn't be worth fighting for, but ...

This is really just a big fight over who gets to control the system, i.e. who gets the money. And I think all these various competing "communities" and counties are just as grabby as the city when it comes to federal money and RTA funds.

Nowhere in there is a discussion of what mass transit does and why it's needed. Or why it might be better suited for dense places like the city than, say, Hall Road, where nobody will ever ride a bus.

All these "great powers" fighting for control of a system that they largely do not want and DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

I want effective rapid transit as much as the next person, but this is not how it's done. You don't have "tough negotiations" between 100-odd different communities on who gets what. You look at the routes that are busiest and upgrade them based on ridership figures.

This place is dysfunction junction.
    Last edited by Detroitnerd; October-22-12 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Look at this big battle of the titans. It's sad, man. Not sad because good transit shouldn't be worth fighting for, but ...

This is really just a big fight over who gets to control the system, i.e. who gets the money. And I think all these various competing "communities" and counties are just as grabby as the city when it comes to federal money and RTA funds.

Nowhere in there is a discussion of what mass transit does and why it's needed. Or why it might be better suited for dense places like the city than, say, Hall Road, where nobody will ever ride a bus.

All these "great powers" fighting for control of a system that they largely do not want and DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

I want effective rapid transit as much as the next person, but this is not how it's done. You don't have "tough negotiations" between 100-odd different communities on who gets what. You look at the routes that are busiest and upgrade them based on ridership figures.

This place is dysfunction junction.
    Well said, d'nerd.

Governments these days are living, breathing entities who need to be reminded that their main function is to handle true community needs like transit, zoning, police, and fire. They work for us -- all of us -- and need to stop worrying so much about whether they all get raises, power, and prestige. Basics.

You can argue with my opinions but not my facts. I lived in the city from 1978-1996 and then again from 2008-present.

The old Detroit is dead.

They've been talking about regional transit over here in Windsor for almost as long as Detroiter's have been talking about it and the suburbs don't want it so it goes nowhere.

I wonder if these reps who didn't show up were paid off by entities who don't want to see the region have an alternative means of transportation. Let's stick to the original plan and build a light rail system that would run from downtown to the New Center area. I am tired of knocking the wheels to my car of alignment for the deep potholes that is on Woodward avenue, our main thoroughfare

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    They've been talking about regional transit over here in Windsor for almost as long as Detroiter's have been talking about it and the suburbs don't want it so it goes nowhere.

Canad's still get free health care!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Canada's still get free health care!
    Nothing's free. 13% sales tax in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Nothing's free. 13% sales tax in Ontario.
    13% sales tax in exchange for universal healthcare? That works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    13% sales tax in exchange for universal healthcare? That works for me!
    We agree there.

I'll gladly pay taxes if the money goes towards the GREATER good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2