Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  7.9 KB
I think that Detroit is still considered a major city. Now, I don't say major in comparison to NYC, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, San Francisco, or Los Angeles. I say major because we are talked about more so than other cities who are have a large or similar size population, like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Charlotte, San Diego, Houston, or even Philly.

We have the all the professional sports franchises.
We have several entities that we are identified for: Automobiles and Motown. And once ranked the world's largest corporation General Motors and again the largest automobile manufacturer is headquartered here.
We have a rich history where we were once the fifth largest city and so on.
We have a bad reputation which keeps us in the spotlight and many media outlets questioning our comeback.
We have a number of nationally televised events, like the Thanksgiving parade, hydroplane boat race, car race on Belle Isle
We have the Detroit Jazz Fest and Electronic Music Fest which are both well known.

I might be wrong, but I think nationally people will mention Detroit even before some larger cities if for no other reason than to say they wouldn't live here.