Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I bet you a plenary indulgence we're not getting another Cardinal. So we've got a couple around from our glory days, that's fine. We also have other stuff lying around from those days as well.

You mention the other counties. Michigan was the only state to lose population in the last decade - and not just Detroit! The counties that grew were largely from people leaving Detroit, without a doubt. Yet everything in this freaking region - even bloody Cardinals - always go back to "Oh, it's not just Detroit, Detroit may be bad but we have Metro Detroit, look, we have Oakland County, we have Rochester, we have Shelby Township, it's all so very wonderful" Well, Metro Detroit doesn't have a Cardinal anymore, or a lot of other things, and I'm not holding my breath waiting for them, believing the growth machine needs to just be switched back on.
    Apparently you believe that total population and growth statistics are more significant than CATHOLIC population in an archdiocese... I think that the church will differ with you on that.

Here's a list/map of the breakdown of the USA Catholic Hierarchy... and state by state maps of the provinces of the Church...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

Traditional Cardinal-Archbishop cities are Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles and recently added Galveston-Houston. You don't see any other southern cities Archbishops who have Cardinal status because in many of them the Catholic population [[despite large Hispanic influxes) is still not a significant portion of the total population, and their Archdiocese are not that large [[Catholic percentage wise). And some large metro areas [[such as Dallas and Cleveland) are relegated to having only Bishops.
    Last edited by Gistok; October-23-12 at 03:05 AM.