Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

313 area code is almost exclusive to the City of Detroit which gives it its punch. Its cred got a big boost from the movie 8 Mile where is it figured in a rap battle scene, I forget exactly. Something about Eminem being form the 810 not the 313.

What's super hot now, of course, are the bazillions of versions of the olde English D. It always has been the most iconic Detroit symbol. While it originates from the Detroit Tigers, the fact that it is a long-established common font and therefore probably public domain allows its fair use without trademark infringement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

What's super hot now, of course, are the bazillions of versions of the olde English D. It always has been the most iconic Detroit symbol. While it originates from the Detroit Tigers, the fact that it is a long-established common font and therefore probably public domain allows its fair use without trademark infringement.
    I asked a store owner about this not too long ago, turns out to avoid lawsuits, all they have to do it remove a little overhang line on the left side of the English D. Also, they of course can't use "Detroit Tigers". At first glance the average person isn't going to notice a difference.

There's many different versions of Old English fonts , many are payfer's , a few aren't . I suppose if you could i.d. which one the Tigers use and use it in a way that appears to be copyright theft [[and make money) from the ballclub's logo you could find yourself in court . But if you used the same font as the Tigers use in other ways , you'd be alright ... they don't own the font . Many companies , sports teams , whoever pay to have a custom font made and its theirs and theirs alone . Old English Regular below . I meant to say the ''D'' is Old English Regular the rest is Calligraphic Medium ... but if the D were the same as the Tigers use and its a payfer or free font , my graphic wouldn't be a copyright violation with the way its displayed below .
    Attachment 16237
    Last edited by Wingnatic; October-21-12 at 05:33 PM.

Don't quote me on it, but I think the Tigers English "D" is altered slightly from the actual font just enough not to get sued. IF someone is savvy at looking up irrelevant historical information, I'd bet there is lot out there on the Tiger's logo.