Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Detroit needs more parking lots

My suggestion? "Bubba"
    Hands-down the most iconic event to symbolize Detroit. An eternal flame issuing from an upside-down police car, Bubba standing on top.*

[[...A burning police car in 1984, after the Tigers won the World Series. An eighth-grade dropout nicknamed Bubba held up a Tigers pennant in front a burning vehicle...)
    http://mvictors.com/?p=1997

[[*Please be advised that this is an attempt at humor and is not to be construed as a serious opinion.)

Bigger doesn't mean better. Maintaining what's there is fine by me.

http://detroit1701.org/Public%20Art%...Sculpture.html

I am partial to the Soldiers and Sailors monument, The Big Tire, The Big Stove, and the Stargate in Hart Plaza....and, of course, the Fist....

Well, Robocop is coming. Isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    LOL... that's right we don't have a minimum age limit on this forum, do we!

And to think of all the posting time wasted talking about that...

And the Glee members made out of LEGO... reminded me of this same guy and LEGO... you would think that a thread with another forumer's name in the title would answer who it's about... but that guy/kid didn't have a clue....
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...5-Gistok-LEGOS
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-12 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu Warrior View Post
    I am partial to the Soldiers and Sailors monument, The Big Tire, The Big Stove, and the Stargate in Hart Plaza....and, of course, the Fist....
    The Stargate in Hart Plaza.... lol.... Zulu Warrior, it's good to have you back... you too Southen... must be busy with photography...
    Last edited by Gistok; October-12-12 at 01:22 PM.

I like the Dodge fountain. I like the underground railroad memorial, but I don't like it's location. Same with the Kosciuszko statue.

Default Rosie the riveter monumnent

Quote Originally Posted by splake View Post
    I like the Dodge fountain. I like the underground railroad memorial, but I don't like it's location. Same with the Kosciuszko statue.
    I believe that a Monument or national park was to be built in Detroit or the Detroit area to honor the women who worked in factories during the WWII, and that Rosie the Riveter was going to be the insperation. The workers involved in the war effort and the mechant marines who supplied Europe seem to be the most overlooked for their sacrifies. Any effort to honor them is long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by leady106 View Post
    I believe that a Monument or national park was to be built in Detroit or the Detroit area to honor the women who worked in factories during the WWII, and that Rosie the Riveter was going to be the inspiration. The workers involved in the war effort and the mechant marines who supplied Europe seem to be the most overlooked for their sacrifies. Any effort to honor them is long overdue.
    This might be an appropriate place for that, but it's some distance from where most people will see it...
    http://www.willowrunairport.com/information/history.asp

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    No one mentions the lovely statue in front of One Woodward Ave.?

I've got a good statue story that my Dad told me...

The U.S. Jaycees had their National Convention in Detroit back in 1966, in their offices at One Woodward. My Grandparents from Chicago attended as they were both heavily involved in that organization, and the convention usually lasted about a week.

Some of the members got bored and decided to pull a prank on Downtown Detroit. Overnight, they painted large green footprints on the ground leading from the Spirit of Detroit to the naked lady statue in front of One Woodward, and footprints going back. Like he visited her in the middle of the night .

The lady statue is actually a ballet dancer and is called "Dance Step," by Giacomo Manzu.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; October-13-12 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo

Did they do footprints twice? I remember that, but I thought it was a bit later than 1966.

Kinda cute....

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Did they do footprints twice? I remember that, but I thought it was a bit later than 1966.

Kinda cute....
    Maybe so. It was a notorious prank at the time.

What do we do with the hundreds we already have? Also what about this guy stuck looking at Woodward all day long, one of 20ish cast and available for all to see. We have lots of statuary around just need to get the word out where it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    What do we do with the hundreds we already have? Also what about this guy stuck looking at Woodward all day long, one of 20ish cast and available for all to see. We have lots of statuary around just need to get the word out where it is!
    Yes, we do have lots of good public art and this is a great guide book for locating it. It's by Dennis Narocki, an art historian and professor at CCS.

Name:  Art in Public Places.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  43.6 KB

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Detroit-Pu.../dp/0814333788

i was gonna say stripclubs. Never be enough of them

How about a giant 40?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    How about a giant 40?
    weak sauce. just like this.

Art on a pedestal showing how all sexy Detroiters behave themselves outside the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice.

Detroit needs a lot more than a statue.

Ever been to St. Louis? The Arch doesn't seem to make much of a difference there.

Liberty Enlightening The World is a symbol for the entire nation, but if France never gave it to us NYC would still be NYC.

Chicago & Indy's statues are so memorable they were mentioned, but not named [[other than in pronoun form)

What a cool link! Nice collection of items.... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Bigger doesn't mean better. Maintaining what's there is fine by me.

http://detroit1701.org/Public%20Art%...Sculpture.html

Fantastic book!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Yes, we do have lots of good public art and this is a great guide book for locating it. It's by Dennis Narocki, an art historian and professor at CCS.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Detroit-Pu.../dp/0814333788

Or proof-reading.

Yeah, where the fuck is my Robocop?

I backed the robocop, its not so lavish but to put up a multi million dollar statue in Detroit would just show the world where our priories are [[exactly where they are, in the gutter). We cant buy our way back into civilized society with a statue.

I prefer smaller works all over the city by individuall ppl and neighborhoods like The Heidelberg, the work going on on the Yes Farm on Farnsworth, Tyrees shoe driveway on Canfield X Chene. Its the little individual pieces that set our city apart. Fuck a stainless steel bean in Chicago. Maybe someday we'll have the resources to have a big bean but for now it would seem like a bit of over the top look at us type of BS.
    Id like to see some grant money come in to do a bunch of smaller pieces all over the city than one giant big one. Get people here to drive all over the city to check out a bunch of work rather than just go downtown.

BTW, Does anyone have any old linoleum tiles they could give up? Ive got an idea. Vinyl tiles wont work. Have to be linoleum.

Right on Djangolito. Right the frig on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast