Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    GM competing for 1,500 new IT recruitsI would really like to know what prompted this change.
    Well I like to think that this particular UK National Westminster Bank/Bank of Scotland software disaster that occurred 4 months ago, may have given some corporations some pause.... [[FYI "CA-7" is a mainframe computer scheduling software that can run thousands of individual software programs every night IN THE CORRECT ORDER)....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002855252
    Last edited by Gistok; October-09-12 at 10:09 PM.

While there are certainly steps backwards, the city seems to get better [[at least downtown and midtown) everytime I visit. I definitely sense things heading in the right direction.

Default The Great Detroit documentary

So far most of the documentaries that I'm seen, have had a negative with a little positive thrown in perspective in telling the Detroit. My doc is 100% positive with many little known facts. Now, it will talk about the known points like Motown, Kronk, Henry Ford but it will also tell some who don't know that Detroit is host to the US best jazz festival, an internationally recognized hydroplane boat race, or that Detroit is the founding site for the National Puppet Organization and we have a museum to showcase the industry.

You'll see The Great Detroit? is different and much needed right now.

To support our efforts, you can place your order for the Dvd or buy one of our patron ads, for more information go to www.strongdetroit.net or www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary

Buffalo Wild Wings is renovating the Odd Fellows Building to open their restaurant. They are doing a complete renovate job. Their owner believes in Detroit's comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    So far most of the documentaries that I'm seen, have had a negative with a little positive thrown in perspective in telling the Detroit. My doc is 100% positive with many little known facts. Now, it will talk about the known points like Motown, Kronk, Henry Ford but it will also tell some who don't know that Detroit is host to the US best jazz festival, an internationally recognized hydroplane boat race, or that Detroit is the founding site for the National Puppet Organization and we have a museum to showcase the industry.

You'll see The Great Detroit? is different and much needed right now.

To support our efforts, you can place your order for the Dvd or buy one of our patron ads, for more information go to www.strongdetroit.net or www.indiegogo.com/thegreatdetroitdocumentary
    How do you know Detroit has the best jazz festival? Is it better than Chicago or New Orleans [[half million attendance)? The locals in all cities greatly exaggerate their own events. If you're going to call it a documentary you need to back things up or it's just a cheerleading movie.

The Lincoln Park artistic efforts to make the area look better. I went to an event there during the Detroit Design Festival.

Are they going to paint old tires and put plants in them, or vandalize buildings with graffiti?

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Buffalo Wild Wings is renovating the Odd Fellows Building to open their restaurant. They are doing a complete renovate job. Their owner believes in Detroit's comeback.
    It would be even more impressive if the Odd Fellows were renovating their building as a meeting place.

The Chrysler commercial and their moving downtown.
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  7.7 KB

From Tech Center News: GM Plans to Hire 10,000 Computer Experts Over 5 Years [[PDF)
    America’s biggest automaker plans to hire up to 10,000 computer professionals in the next three to five years as it tries to lead the auto industry with cutting-edge technology....

“The companies that build the software themselves in general are going to have an advantage,” says David Kirkpatrick, author of a book about Facebook and CEO of Techonomy Media Inc.... “If you outsource the development of software in particular to others, you can risk . . . your own ability to compete in the future.”...

GM’s first “Information Technology Innovation Center” was announced last month in Austin, Texas, with plans to hire 500 programmers and software experts. And last week the carmaker unveiled plans to hire 1,500 more at a second computer center in Warren on the campus of its big tech center.

The other two sites haven’t been revealed....

They’ll also be counted on to invent technology that no one’s thought of yet....

... the most likely locations for the next two centers are on the West Coast, experts say....

GM says it will offer competitive wages and benefits to pull in recent college graduates and experienced information technology professionals....

With the gap in quality between brands shrinking, the way a car drives and its electronics soon will be the only things that set a company apart, [Michael Robinet, managing director of IHS Automotive, an industry consulting firm] says....

“CEOs of every company in the future are going to have to be software thinkers,” [Kirkpatrick] says.
    First 1,500, now 10,000 [[over 3-5 years). The numbers keep growing. This could turn out to be a big deal for the area considering all the secondary economic effects of those kinds of salaries.

I read elsewhere they're planning to hire a lot of people from Hewlett Packard.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    How do you know Detroit has the best jazz festival? Is it better than Chicago or New Orleans [[half million attendance)? The locals in all cities greatly exaggerate their own events. If you're going to call it a documentary you need to back things up or it's just a cheerleading movie.
    I was told by a number of the out of state attendies, ours is better for the number of stages, quality and number of the acts.

I think that the Somerset Mall doing their quarterly weekend setup downtown. I think this could be a look at the possibility of opening some upscale stores downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are they going to paint old tires and put plants in them, or vandalize buildings with graffiti?
    Not at all, they cleanup the area, installed some statues, and they host events there.

image is everything, CHi town has murders daily even on the MAg Mile and people still go. create the image, while creating the amenity, if done correctly the crime will fix itself, to some degree.

we need to get some new business', with all this creative talent, we need some more ad houses, we have carat and donner, what about some boutique shops for small accounts?

The number of Detroit tour companies that are operating and being successful.
    There must be a market of people who want to tour Detroit and I suspect more now than before.

The State renovating the Globe Building will be huge.
    The mindset people are the Gar Building.
    There's plans for the Book Building.

All the new restaurants in downtown, Joe Muers's, Cheesecake Place, and others.

Tim Horton's opening restaurants in several neighborhoods.
    Name:  tim hortons.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  7.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    negative nellies have spoken. detroit is doomed

Detroit is doomed for poor-low income and welfare supported black folks. The city is coming back to life. Only you need is regionalized corporate ventures like Dan Gilbert, Peter Karmanos and Mike Illitch to buy up and fix those long vacant buildings and city will comeback.

White folks are coming back to Detroit, in slower numbers. I just seen a one of Dan Gilbert's employees just move their things into the David Brodrick Towers just a couple days and that person loves love living downtown and seen the excitement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2