Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
I think another problem did bring up a good point too, Bing lacks communication skills.

I think Detroiters will accept SOME bad news and SOME bad decisions if you can assure some of their demands are being heard and taken into consideration. That's really all the citizens want.

Instead, Bing has taken the "shove whatever I want down their throats" approach.
This is exactly it. The fact can't be ignored that many of the people who are angry with Bing are the same people who voted for him.

When Bing came into office, everyone knew that he was facing huge challenges, that his hands were tied in many ways by financial circumstance, and that some deep cuts would have to be made. No one was under the illusion that the city could keep going under 'business as usual.' But we also expected some action, decisiveness, responsiveness, openness, and communication from someone who had been in business and public life for so long.

Instead, what we got is someone who seems almost inert at times, showing very little active engagement with his role. And when he does make a decision, he does it in the most "top down" way possible.

It was hoped that, as a businessman, he would at least make the appearance of treating the citizens as stakeholders in the city's future and fighting for their interests. Instead it is almost as if we, the actual citizens out here, don't exist to him, or are at best a nuisance. He has a tendency to treat our expressed concerns as one would treat the complaints of a whiny employee. And when it comes to communication, and at least acknowledging citizen input and interests, he's worse than bad, with an aloofness that generally comes off as arrogance and condescension.

In short, he's been a failure. As someone who was never a public office-holder before, he was a mystery package who came wrapped in enticingly attractive paper promising great things inside. Well, he's been fully unwrapped now, and what was under the paper turned out be an empty box.