Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    That's not all of it. These days you aren't allowed to take a 2-3 hr lunch break to dine at a place like this. Most folks get 30-60 mins for lunch break. If you're not back on time, the boss is looking for you.
    When was this magical period where working stiffs got 3 hour lunches? I don't think people that had to worry about what the boss thought were ever the primary clientele.

Well, I just made a longish post here right at the point when the thread was renamed and moved, so I guess it went off into the ether.

I don't have time to post it all again, but just to say that my Dad, who was a semi-regular at the Caucus Club during his working years, is very sad to hear of its closing. But then he's 87 years old, which is one of the reasons these places are almost all gone.

However, the "steak and scotch" type of dining that was once a regular staple for white-collar men isn't necessarily dead too. It has changed though, becoming much more a 'special occasion' type of dining, which has necessarily been made more attractive to women [[a much much larger portion of the customer base now) than the old-style 'men's club' type restaurants like CC. Witness the big success of a place like Roast, even as just a few blocks away the Caucus Club was fading into extinction.

No suprise here just disapointment.
    Places like the Caucus Club are fading away. People want places like Buffalo Wild Wings now.

Myron "Mike" Wahls played there for years. Fine pianist, also a Federal judge.

Prediction: Spaces in the Penobscot will be filled by Mediterranean [[read Greek) themed restaurants by the new owner. I view this as an intentional force out.

Mike Wahls was a Michigan Court of Appeals Judge at the end of his career--never a federal judge.

Caucus Club's memorabilia to be sold online after last call

S
    tory in the Freep

"No suprise here just disapointment. Places like the Caucus Club are fading away. People want places like Buffalo Wild Wings now."

And food truck... don't forget the food trucks. Nothing like standing on the sidewalk eating while it dribbles down the front of your shirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2