Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    It wasn't just the tax deduction going away. There was also a big corporate push to take strong drink out of the workplace culture.
    That's not all of it. These days you aren't allowed to take a 2-3 hr lunch break to dine at a place like this. Most folks get 30-60 mins for lunch break. If you're not back on time, the boss is looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Aren't we talking about the same landlord who wanted to raze a historic building for a parking structure two weeks ago? Why is it hard to believe that he doesn't give a fuck about a historic restaurant closing?
    Yeah, it's easy to believe the old management had a hands-off approach if CC stayed so long. And the new owner likely doesn't treasure Detroit's history as much as we do -- after all, he's an outsider.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he just wanted them out, thinking somebody would come in with a newer, fresher dining concept.

No suprise here just disapointment.
    Places like the Caucus Club are fading away. People want places like Buffalo Wild Wings now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    That's not all of it. These days you aren't allowed to take a 2-3 hr lunch break to dine at a place like this. Most folks get 30-60 mins for lunch break. If you're not back on time, the boss is looking for you.
    When was this magical period where working stiffs got 3 hour lunches? I don't think people that had to worry about what the boss thought were ever the primary clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Back in 62-63 meeting with my boss and customers from J. Walter Thompson after work, having a great hamburger.

Going for dinner on a date, my favorite was their London Broil with Bordlaise Sauce. The Dover Sole was good, but I liked the Kingsley Inn's better.

The real death blow to these restaurants and those in the New Center was when the Federal Government went after the deduction for the so called " Three martini lunch. Federal tax deductions for luxury cars, boats and heavy entertainment expenses went away and so the fine dining in both areas went slowly down. The Caucus Club was one of the last standing.

Another interesting about the Caucus Club was that a part of the place at lunch was men only, I don't remember the details and I could be wrong. Someone on here must know, maybe the Rock.
    I started patronizing the CC in the early 60's, dined in both the front and back rooms and do not recall that either locale was a "men's only" area. So it might have been well before my time, maybe when Barbara Striesland was singing in the back room.

Myron "Mike" Wahls played there for years. Fine pianist, also a Federal judge.

Prediction: Spaces in the Penobscot will be filled by Mediterranean [[read Greek) themed restaurants by the new owner. I view this as an intentional force out.

Mike Wahls was a Michigan Court of Appeals Judge at the end of his career--never a federal judge.

Caucus Club's memorabilia to be sold online after last call

S
    tory in the Freep

"No suprise here just disapointment. Places like the Caucus Club are fading away. People want places like Buffalo Wild Wings now."

And food truck... don't forget the food trucks. Nothing like standing on the sidewalk eating while it dribbles down the front of your shirt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2