Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    It's amazing what some people will post.
    In many countries, it is not legal for a non-citizen to own property.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    So what. Detroit's is in the United States....where foreigners have owned property even before we became a country. What's so amazing about something that has gone on for centuries?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    So what. Detroit's is in the United States....where foreigners have owned property even before we became a country. What's so amazing about something that has gone on for centuries?

lol x 1000.

Japan has suffered a nuclear catastrophe that is far from over which still threatens much of the country. A portion of the country is already un-inhabitable due to this accident. Over a thousand spent fuel rods are still suspended five stories up in a heavily damaged structure that is leaning and bulging. I read an article once where the Japanese were eyeing the numerous and empty cities that the Chinese have built as they evacuate.

Mount Fuji is also a growing concern as the pressures for an eruption are at historic levels. Maybe, the current problems of Detroit don't look so daunting in comparison. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../06/mount-fuji

So what?

I can't understand why cons are so against immigration. My in-laws are German citizens, have lived here since the 1960's, and have owned their house since then. They also have paid their taxes, created jobs and have made their neighborhood better.

I'd take immigrants like them any day over some lazy redneck that was born in Hazel Park and whose sole contribution to society is to keep the local beer store open.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    So what?

I can't understand why cons are so against immigration. My in-laws are German citizens, have lived here since the 1960's, and have owned their house since then. They also have paid their taxes, created jobs and have made their neighborhood better.

I'd take immigrants like them any day over some lazy redneck that was born in Hazel Park and whose sole contribution to society is to keep the local beer store open.
    Way to miss the point. Hermod was referring to the fact that in some countries, like Mexico, foreigners are prohibited from owning property near the coast. We have no such restriction.

BTW, conservatives aren't against immigration. They're against illegal immigration. There's a difference, you know. And like you, I'll take a hardworking immigrant over some lay-about native every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Way to miss the point. Hermod was referring to the fact that in some countries, like Mexico, foreigners are prohibited from owning property near the coast. We have no such restriction.
    I'm pretty sure Mexico doesn't have such restrictions either.

As an American, you can buy property on the Mexican coast, but there are 50-year renewable agreements for property owned by foreigners directly on the coast.

I would think that very few countries have restrictions on foreigners buying property. Pretty much only the Cuba/North Korea type places.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mexico doesn't have such restrictions either.

As an American, you can buy property on the Mexican coast, but there are 50-year renewable agreements for property owned by foreigners directly on the coast.

I would think that very few countries have restrictions on foreigners buying property. Pretty much only the Cuba/North Korea type places.
    Vietnam even has restrictions on Vietnamese citizens who reside overseas. They are forced to transfer their property when they leave the country.

Vietnam even has restrictions on Vietnamese citizens who reside overseas. They are forced to transfer their property when they leave the country.
    And that should be a model for the U.S.?

I still don't think I understand what the problem is exactly.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-05-12 at 03:25 PM.