Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Bing's Communication Problem

This seems to be happening a lot with the Bing administration.

On a very basic level the antics of the police officers and some community leaders are bringing more heat than light to the many problems Detroit has. It makes you want to say... typical Detroit community meeting where nothing gets addressed and people vent and pontificate and try to score gotcha points on the mayor.

However I think you need to look beyond the fact that Mayor Bing can't seem to conduct a decent community meeting and I think the reasons are mostly his.

He seems to have a bunker mentality I bet he is somewhat thinskinned and being a business owner who basically hired and fired at will is not use to the type of criticism he gets at the public level.

You get the impression from news reports that he wouldn't be doing this if the charter didn't mandate that he do so.

At this point he needs to connect with the people or he will lose next year to any decent candidate who runs against him.

I fault the mayor for not coming up with more imaginative ways to communicate to the people he is suppose to serve. For example why can't he have an on-line town hall meeting which would discourage the boorish behavior of certain members of the community. For people with no internet access something could be set up at the community centers for them to attend. Now I don't know if that would satisfy the intent of the charter, but at this point in his administration he needs to communicate to the people period why he is doing what he's doing.

That is unless he doesn't intend to run for re-election.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...munity-meeting
    Last edited by firstandten; September-28-12 at 11:30 AM.