Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mr. Jackson certainly was a uniquely talented individual, but he chose to surround himself with sycophants who didn't dare tell him when his lifestyle choices crossed major lines with society. As such, and with the equally untimely death of Ms. Fawcett, we get a fascinating contrast:

Mr. Jackson, collapsing and dying at home, alone but for the coterie of paid staff with which he surrounded himself.

Ms. Fawcett, having spent the last several weeks with loved ones and old friend [[including at least one of her "Charlie's Angels" costars, with whom she hadn't worked for 30-odd years), and dying in the arms of her long-time love and nearly husband.

People are remembering Ms. Fawcett for her body of work, and the news reports mostly ignored the few truly bizarre incidents in her life [[such as the Letterman appeaerance). People are remembering Mr. Jackson, at least newspeople, about half for his music and half for the bizarre lifestyle: the alleged child molestation, the uber-weird interview piece about what a great thing it is to share a bed with a child, dangling the baby off the balcony, and on and on.

Unfortunately for Mr. Jackson, since he chose to live a pop-star version of the life of Michael Corleone, he ended up like Michael Corleone, essentially alone and miserable. At least that's how it appears to this untrained observer.

The artist DANA SCHUTZ, now a New Yorker but originally from Livonia, Michigan, painted an eerily prescient painting in 2006 titled THE AUTOPSY OF MICHAEL JACKSON. The painting is difficult to look at, but fits within the entire oeuvre of this young artist's work, including her own SELFPORTRAIT AS A PACHYDERM.

I havent quite gotten the hang of uploading to this newer Detroit Yes system, but Google the Michael Jackson painting. It is a 'thriller'.

Pretty prophetic right?

FYI, MTV is playing Michael Jackson videos all day today

You're right, strange personal life. But really, who didn't dream of being able to dance like him? He was an incredible entertainer "back in the day". Such stage presence. Yes, I know these are "my" opinions, but who out there today can hold a candle to what Michael Jackson brought to the stage in the 80's.....he, for what it's worth, had true staying power. Rest in peace [[finally) Michael.

I'm 30, so I've never known a world of music, music videos or pop culture without Michael Jackson. I blame his father for much of how he turned out, and I hope he finally has peace.

It is sad when anyone dies, especially when it is totally unexpected. However, hearing someone compare Michael's death to President Kennedy's assasination, and how they will always remember where they were,when they heard the news leaves me speechless. There is no comparison.

He wasn't alone and miserable. His children were with him. Anyone that dies sudddenly is going to be somewhat alone. I'm sure that if it was known that he would die soon, all of his family and friends would be there [[plus thousands of his fans).

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post

Unfortunately for Mr. Jackson, since he chose to live a pop-star version of the life of Michael Corleone, he ended up like Michael Corleone, essentially alone and miserable. At least that's how it appears to this untrained observer.

Attachment 2045
    Attachment 2046

No matter what your view of him was it does not change the fact that we have lost the most influential perfomer probably of our life time....

MJRIP

There is a huge gathering at the motown museum, and it's actually pretty cool. Folks singing taking photos impersonators...

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    It is sad when anyone dies, especially when it is totally unexpected. However, hearing someone compare Michael's death to President Kennedy's assasination, and how they will always remember where they were,when they heard the news leaves me speechless. There is no comparison.
    I would sort of tend to agree with that assessment. The death of Michael Jackson was more like the sudden death of Elvis Presley, or JFK Jr.

The only recent person's death I would compare with the JFK death would be Princess Diana. Her death and funeral were comparable to JFK in that it shocked/mesmerized the world for many many days.

Other momentous 20th century deaths were FDR in 1945, and surprisingly silent film legend Rudolph Valentino, who died at 31 of peritonitis, on August 23, 1926 [[the day the Michigan Theatre opened). 40 million people worldwide actively mourned Valentino's death.

Perhaps if Jackson's bizarre behaviour in later life had never happened [[including his facial makeover)... his death would have been more earth shattering. But his behaviour turned off a lot of former fans and would be fans.

Quincy Jones was interviewed today, and he stated that when he visited Michael Jackson's mansion, he found it odd that he had pictures of blond, blue eyed boys all over his house... but never questioned it...
    Last edited by Gistok; June-26-09 at 11:53 PM.

I biked down to the Motown Museum yesterday and some photos of the crowd at the Michael Jackson memorial

I think that in the end, even after the toxicology reports come in showing some abuse, that ... in the end his body could not sustain the perfectionism that he always routinely put into his performances, and his body just gave out.

Listen to his body of work as it plays on rotation on VH1.

His soul burned too brightly for his body to hold it.
    Last edited by RickBeall; June-27-09 at 10:28 AM.

Momentous death, my ass. Just another highly overreported and hyped celebrity death.

Michael Jackson, the so-called "king of pop", died 15-20 years ago.

Michiael Jackson, the sick and twisted pedophile, died Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbred View Post
    I agree but I was around for both and I will remember both for different reasons I think. The Kennedy thing I was too young to really grasp but I could sense the importance from the grow ups around me. Michael Jackson was perhaps the icon of my generation and I think that I am dealing with my own mortality now.

Same person. Fans really don't personally know any artist. They can only celebrate their works.

But I would not say that he was over hyped. They sold over $85 million worth of tickets to go see that 50 year old freak.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Momentous death, my ass. Just another highly overreported and hyped celebrity death.

Quote "Michael Jackson, the sick and twisted pedophile, died Thursday."

Unfortunately, that's how he'll be remembered. The UK interview when he was explaining how nice it was to share his bed with little kids was beyond creepy. Dangling his kids off of a balcony, probably so high on whatever he didn't even know what he was doing. The guy was a sick deranged individual that should have been in jail since back in the 80's the first time he raped a child.

Drugs killed him, where are all the legalize now people at?

That isn't what it happening.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...itunes-amazon/

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote "Michael Jackson, the sick and twisted pedophile, died Thursday."

Unfortunately, that's how he'll be remembered. The UK interview when he was explaining how nice it was to share his bed with little kids was beyond creepy. Dangling his kids off of a balcony, probably so high on whatever he didn't even know what he was doing. The guy was a sick deranged individual that should have been in jail since back in the 80's the first time he raped a child.

Drugs killed him, where are all the legalize now people at?

professorscott, Farrah Fawcett had family in the D, I recall local tv news stories on her visiting them[[after she left) back in the 70's

Quote: "That isn't what it happening."

I assume you're referring to how he'll be remembered. Wait until the documentaries come out. And there will be plenty of them. Think they'll focus on his talent? Guess again. That's what people will remember, just like Priscilla's wash and repeat for cash accounts of life with Elvis. It's powerful and overshadows his achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

Sound like hateration to me. Drink Haterade much? Got any CONCRETE evidence to back up those allegations? Were you as globally influential as he?

Funny....for him to be remembered as the vile criminals he was I guess the spike in album sales was simply so people can take them out into the streets and burn them to show how much of perverted pedophile he was.....

For those interested, there is a candlelight vigil planned for Sunday night at the Motown Museum:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009062...day+in+Detroit

Looks like another Jackson has taken center stage. Brotha Jesse gettin his ass some attention.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast