Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

What is your basis for your commments? Did you live in NYC in the 70's and 80's and track the people who came to the park or are you making assumptions based on what you read about the Kennedy kids?

How can you say that the park was visited by "mostly local folks with money." What a stupid assumption to make for an area of 8 million people

I hate to reference wiki but
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Park

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Well, ok, NYC had much higher crime than today back in the 70's, but I'm talking about the clientele.

I don't think there's ever been a period where Central Park wasn't being used by the rich, particularly the immediate neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    How can you say that the park was visited by "mostly local folks with money." What a stupid assumption to make for an area of 8 million people
    Central Park is surrounded by folks with money. This was also true in the 70's.

I find it very odd that you find it "stupid" that the richest neighborhood in the country would have parks utilized, at least in part, by rich people.

Last I checked, parks tend to be utilized by people in close proximity to those parks. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that hordes of New Jerseyans or whomever are the primary users of Central Park.

The larger point is that Belle Isle is different. It has always had a different constituency.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I don't think it's reasonable to assume that hordes of New Jerseyans or whomever are the primary users of Central Park.
    Do you know anything about New York? Yes, the locals use it, but it is a major tourist draw, and was "even" in the 70s and 80s. And yes, lots of bridge and tunnel people use it, especially on the weekend

Central Park could be dropped on the eastside of Detroit in the area that the mayor want to make a tree park. E Vernor east of Cadillac to St Jean and going south to Jefferson is mostly barren saving a couple of blocks