Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm sorry they got robbed but being called a victim by Mitt Romney and now the resident of third world country by this guy in one week is kind of rough.
    If it bothers you that a single individual said something bad about Detroit, then you need to grow thicker skin.

And given the copious amount of suburb-bashing that takes place around here [[and not just Suburb bashing, I've seen people here bash Toronto, Chicago and other cities as well), I would add that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    If it bothers you that a single individual said something bad about Detroit, then you need to grow thicker skin.

And given the copious amount of suburb-bashing that takes place around here [[and not just Suburb bashing, I've seen people here bash Toronto, Chicago and other cities as well), I would add that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    Especially when he himself has insulted people in the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Especially when he himself has insulted people in the suburbs.
    Sorry for starting this sweet thread since I've expressed opinions in the past.

Shollin Guest

Sorry for starting this sweet thread since I've expressed opinions in the past.
    Just enjoying the irony of you crying about someone calling Detroit a third world city when you yourself insults suburbanites.

I don't think Detroit is anything like a third-world city.

Third world cities are growing, entreprenuerial, and marked by very dramatic divisions between rich and poor. They tend to be their nations' wealth and growth centers.

They funnel huge numbers of poor [[especially young males) from rural agricultural regions into the urban maelstrom. The money made in third world cities sustains rural communities, as the young males send money back to their families.

Detroit is pretty much nothing like a third world city, outside of the fact that both are dysfunctional.

Let's go with second world. Prevalent alcoholism, boring, culture of dependency, indefatigable bureaucracy, lack of retail establishments, dreary and grey much of the year, clinging to heavy industry and government for jobs, rampant nepotism...

Let's go with second world. Prevalent alcoholism, boring, culture of dependency, indefatigable bureaucracy, lack of retail establishments, dreary and grey much of the year, clinging to heavy industry and government for jobs, rampant nepotism...
    Shrinking urban populations is a characteristic of some Second World cities, unlike Third World cities. However, shrinking urban populations is also a characteristic of many First World cities too...

I think the catchall term should be Post Industrial.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3