Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I hear you guys saying that more cops, vice, swat, etc. are needed, and I agree we need more beat cops, but I can't help but notice the amount of police that drive right by the open air drug market and pirate hooker collaborative in my boyfriends neighborhood without so much as a nod. The police presence has increased, but their willingness to do anything about the crime hasn't.

And if they do stop, its usually to harass someone who wasn't doing anything other than minding their own business.

There have been two murders and almost a dozen shootings in that hood since July. A guy was shot 10 times sitting on his couch in a driveby just 2 weeks ago. He lived. My boyfriend was caught in the line of fire of a shootout coming home from work last week, by some dumbass who was literally hanging out of the driverside window of his bright red car [[complete with chrome rims) swerving and hitting everything BUT the car he was gunnin for. He hit some good people's cars and a house with kids in it though. My guy is fine, albeit the tore up knees. When the cops showed up, they asked the neighbors what happened. They took no report, there was no attempt to collect evidence, and the next day the street was glittering with casings.

I feel for the DPD, and what they are going through. It's bullshit that they are forced to do so much with so little. I wouldn't blame them if they all walked away and left the city to self destruct. But I just. can't. handle. watching the NE precinct treat these good people in that God forsaken neighborhood the way they do.

I hate those cops. I can't help it.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-21-12 at 03:47 AM.

That's why those who can leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The hardest thing will be #2...how do you bring new jobs to the area?
    Short answer you have to incentivize companies to the extent that it would be dirt cheap for them to do business in Detroit. But in actuallity all four points are incredibly difficult and requires a political will not yet seen at the local,state or national level.

I don't mean to sound cruel, but the lumpen proletariat never sleeps. In 1974 when I was living on Delaware and Second in the New Center area there were, what, over 700 homicides.

I maintain that male lack of esteem fueled by periods of high self-esteem are one of the reasons for such mayhem. And a large part of that is because so many males are raised by mothers only. Where are the men? Ask those around you if they are fathering kids and not supporting them.

The church in Detroit and elsewhere needs to address the prevalence of homes with no fathers present.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    I don't mean to sound cruel, but the lumpen proletariat never sleeps. In 1974 when I was living on Delaware and Second in the New Center area there were, what, over 700 homicides.

I maintain that male lack of esteem fueled by periods of high self-esteem are one of the reasons for such mayhem. And a large part of that is because so many males are raised by mothers only. Where are the men? Ask those around you if they are fathering kids and not supporting them.

The church in Detroit and elsewhere needs to address the prevalence of homes with no fathers present.
    What you say is true, I would go even further and maintain that much of the mayhem is related to the drug culture beginning to take hold in the city. After all it was only 7 years after the riots. Drugs, while always alround seen to become more plentiful after the riots. But you are correct, its related anger management issues are all related to a lack of self esteem, a self hatred from being at the bottom of the economic totem pole since slavery.

Yep, the LUMP never really seems to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post

This starts in the Home too many broken families were no one is raising the children . Drugs are out of control , kids are being left to raise themselves .
    It doesn't help that the city and city council , are so inpet and nitpicking over who's going to run Belle isle , instead of figuring out how to put more police on the street .
    With the money they saved by leasing Bell isle they can put to more police !

Someone needs to come right out and ask Godbee and Bing why the new Police recruits [[33) are only out there to "be a presence", to be "visible", downtown only. Ask him why his recruits are not getting the proper, prompt training from instructors to get these officers out on the streets. Ask him why the new recruits are told to "not get involved" unless absolutely necessary or just write parking tickets. Ask him why half the class is sitting at the practically empty training academy manning the phones and the other half is at the Atwater Precinct downtown. Hundreds of thousands of dollars have been invested in these new recruits to give them the best possible start towards becoming a Detroit Police Officer and then for months they have been getting very little "on the job" training...nothing to get them up and running immediately. The new, lean, strong, gung ho recruits are getting fat because the City is not utilizing them as they should. There are a lot of unanswered questions that Godbee needs to answer.
    These officers want to make a big difference in Detroit and should be properly trained to do the job to the best of their abilities...be out there to help get Detroit back on track.
    Then....the next thing to do is for parents of kids running the streets at all hours need to rein them in, take the responsibility of raising them back. Why is a 14 year old running around with a gun? Where is my 14 year old? Was he in his bed last night? Did he do his homework? Was he even in school today?
    I am getting sick and tired of watching the news every day and the murder rate is going up, this month is the beginning. Someone has to be responsible for this and it starts with Mom and Dad, not Auntie, not Grandma, not the church. There is NO ONE to blame but themselves for this out of control crime and murder going on in Detroit. Start turning people in that you know are out there to do others harm. Take a stand and stop this maddness!!!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I hear you guys saying that more cops, vice, swat, etc. are needed, and I agree we need more beat cops, but I can't help but notice the amount of police that drive right by the open air drug market and pirate hooker collaborative in my boyfriends neighborhood without so much as a nod. The police presence has increased, but their willingness to do anything about the crime hasn't.

And if they do stop, its usually to harass someone who wasn't doing anything other than minding their own business.

There have been two murders and almost a dozen shootings in that hood since July. A guy was shot 10 times sitting on his couch in a driveby just 2 weeks ago. He lived. My boyfriend was caught in the line of fire of a shootout coming home from work last week, by some dumbass who was literally hanging out of the driverside window of his bright red car [[complete with chrome rims) swerving and hitting everything BUT the car he was gunnin for. He hit some good people's cars and a house with kids in it though. My guy is fine, albeit the tore up knees. When the cops showed up, they asked the neighbors what happened. They took no report, there was no attempt to collect evidence, and the next day the street was glittering with casings.

I feel for the DPD, and what they are going through. It's bullshit that they are forced to do so much with so little. I wouldn't blame them if they all walked away and left the city to self destruct. But I just. can't. handle. watching the NE precinct treat these good people in that God forsaken neighborhood the way they do.

I hate those cops. I can't help it.
    DetroitsGwenivere, I certainly understand your frustration and I felt the same frustration when I would see guys openly selling drugs when I would visit my ex girlfriend in the North End. The sight of people openly breaking the law like that without fear of consequences drives me crazy.

The way the DPD operates these days frustrates me, but I save my hate for the actual criminals dealing dope and shooting up the neighborhood.

I'll bet the DPD leadership has decided that shootings without victims are in the same category as B&E's and get hardly any real attention. And that says a lot about the lack of effectiveness of the department. It's an unacceptable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Someone needs to come right out and ask Godbee and Bing why the new Police recruits [[33) are only out there to "be a presence", to be "visible", downtown only. Ask him why his recruits are not getting the proper, prompt training from instructors to get these officers out on the streets. Ask him why the new recruits are told to "not get involved" unless absolutely necessary or just write parking tickets. Ask him why half the class is sitting at the practically empty training academy manning the phones and the other half is at the Atwater Precinct downtown. Hundreds of thousands of dollars have been invested in these new recruits to give them the best possible start towards becoming a Detroit Police Officer and then for months they have been getting very little "on the job" training...nothing to get them up and running immediately. The new, lean, strong, gung ho recruits are getting fat because the City is not utilizing them as they should. There are a lot of unanswered questions that Godbee needs to answer.
    These officers want to make a big difference in Detroit and should be properly trained to do the job to the best of their abilities...be out there to help get Detroit back on track.
    Then....the next thing to do is for parents of kids running the streets at all hours need to rein them in, take the responsibility of raising them back. Why is a 14 year old running around with a gun? Where is my 14 year old? Was he in his bed last night? Did he do his homework? Was he even in school today?
    I am getting sick and tired of watching the news every day and the murder rate is going up, this month is the beginning. Someone has to be responsible for this and it starts with Mom and Dad, not Auntie, not Grandma, not the church. There is NO ONE to blame but themselves for this out of control crime and murder going on in Detroit. Start turning people in that you know are out there to do others harm. Take a stand and stop this maddness!!!

Or why is it, if you need a cop in Detroit, you have to go to a Tigers, Lions, or Red Wings, [[Oh My), game. There are half a dozen on each corner. Detroiters, [[that do), pay taxes, visitors get protection. I guess I just don't generate the revenue Illitch does.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Or why is it, if you need a cop in Detroit, you have to go to a Tigers, Lions, or Red Wings, [[Oh My), game. There are half a dozen on each corner. Detroiters, [[that do), pay taxes, visitors get protection. I guess I just don't generate the revenue Illitch does.
    I see what you did there. Well played Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I have been maintaining in posts on various threads concerning this topic is that the loitering and curfew laws need to be enforced and strengthen. After 9 or 10 pm on the weekdays the city should be on lock down. teenagers or anybody that looks like a teenager needs to be stopped, questioned and possiblity ticketed if out after curfew. We need to extend this to a parental responsiblity ordinance no matter if the kid is raised by a parent, parents or relatives. There is too much hanging out in the streets at the party store, at the gas station at the coney island you name it after dark. I would include fines and jail time as well.

Once the folks start throwing in their hats to run for mayor next year that is an issue I will try and address at the meet the candidates night, and the person who will get my vote and I don't care if that person is white is the person who has the best[[workable) plan for a overall reduction of crime at least in the areas they can control and not the political spin we are use to hearing
    Last edited by firstandten; September-21-12 at 09:59 AM.

I believe that an article stated over 75% of violent crime and murders is directly related to drugs. It's just so depressing to see these figures when there is so much positive news in downtown and midtown. Every city has problems, but for the amount of residents in Detroit, it's really hard to quantify those murder statistics. Detroit had over 700 in the early 70's, but the population was what, a little over 1 million?

GUSHI Guest

It's gonna be cold soon, murders should go down.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Detroit had over 700 in the early 70's, but the population was what, a little over 1 million?
    Detroit had over 1.5 million residents per the 1970 Census. It had over 1.2 million residents per the 1980 Census.

So Detroit probably had 1.4 million residents, more or less, if looking at the early 70's. This probably means Detroit was safer then than now.

Bow and arrow season opens October 1 and rifle season November 15. God help us!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well if citizens started getting slaughtered going to Tiger and Lion's games that wouldn't be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Detroit had over 1.5 million residents per the 1970 Census. It had over 1.2 million residents per the 1980 Census.

So Detroit probably had 1.4 million residents, more or less, if looking at the early 70's. This probably means Detroit was safer then than now.
    Yes.

You always have to look at the per-capita numbers to get a real idea of how dangerous or safe a city is [[in addition to emergency response times)

Chicago and New York may have a higher absolute number of crimes, but their per-capita numbers are usually around 20 per 100,000 people. The police and ambulance will always show up in a reasonable time too.

Detroit's per-capita numbers, like in the 1970s, is well into the 40s now, which is ridiculous for a 1st world major city. Assuming there are any ambulances or police cruisers available to dispatch, expect to wait at least 30 minutes to them to arrive if you're the victim of a crime.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-22-12 at 05:52 PM.

Its pretty disconcerting that crime is so high. It probably wont get much better anytime soon. Problems are too complex. Whats equally troubling is the police have made it clear that you cant expect them to show up for property crime, home invasion, things of that nature. Effectively residents are on their own... but dont take matters into your own hands and end up like that fella on the east side. House gets robbed a bunch and finally he catches someone red handed. Shoots and gets sent to prison. Prosecutors office is after him again. Dont expect fast response to major crime either. Unless you live downtown or near WSU.
    Last edited by rex; September-22-12 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Its pretty disconcerting that crime is so high. It probably wont get much better anytime soon. Problems are too complex. Whats equally troubling is the police have made it clear that you cant expect them to show up for property crime, home invasion, things of that nature. Effectively residents are on their own... but dont take matters into your own hands and end up like that fella on the east side. House gets robbed a bunch and finally he catches someone red handed. Shoots and gets sent to prison. Prosecutors office is after him again. Dont expect fast response to major crime either. Unless you live downtown or near WSU.
    Yes, and folks wonder why people rather vote with there feet rather than with the ballot when it comes to Detroit

Seems like every day since that report there have been 2 or 3 homicides. Thats not normal. Not even by Detroit standards. 2 a day everyday and now were talking 1970s numbers. 3 a day is headed in the direction of Juarez

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Seems like every day since that report there have been 2 or 3 homicides. Thats not normal. Not even by Detroit standards. 2 a day everyday and now were talking 1970s numbers. 3 a day is headed in the direction of Juarez
    Saigon was safer during the Vietnam War.

GUSHI Guest

All the crime, murders and Angel night around the corner, better role those tanks and call. The National Guard, dpd can't or won't handle it,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3